iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Shed - Finally

Started by ncsawyer, September 20, 2015, 09:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio_Bill

Nice Job and your tractor looks like a very handy piece of equipment for the mill .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

ncsawyer

Quote from: tburch on October 09, 2015, 11:23:34 AM
It's looking great!!   

Is your property such that where the mill will be (permanently) you don't have to worry about curious eyes from passer-by's?

The mill is about 100 yards from the road and if you are looking you can see the mill from the road, but its a very rural farm community.  Usually there are just a handful of cars that pass by my house all day long. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

Quote from: stanwelch on October 09, 2015, 07:40:24 PM
Great looking shed.

It is much nicer milling under cover for the operator AND the equipment.  8)

Thanks!  I have followed your shed build thread and I am extremely impressed with your mill shed.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

It rained me out today, but I managed to get all of the trusses set yesterday and cut about half of my sheeting boards.  The sheeting boards will have to wait until Monday to be put on.  My metal arrives Wednesday, but I probably won't have time to get it put on until Saturday.   

Here is the latest picture of my progress.

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

tburch

What is your span and how did you arrive at your truss layout?
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

larrydown60

Shed is looking great. Do you have to have your lumber graded?

ncsawyer

Quote from: tburch on October 10, 2015, 09:46:51 PM

The trusses clear span 20ft with about 2ft of overhang.   

This is the only picture I have of them on the computer right now.  There are actually 4 trusses in that stack.  The top cord and the vertical piece in the center are 2x6 and the bottom cord is made of 2-1x6's, one on each side of the truss.  Then there are four short 1x6's at the peak (two on each side of the truss) to hold the top cords together at the peak.  I didn't really have any plans and don't know that I have ever seen any trusses built that way, but I built some just like that for another smaller building and they worked really well. I just started building and that's what I ended up with.  If the span had been longer than 20ft, I would probably had to design a little differently. 

The roof pitch is 4/12 by the way.  Down here with no snow, some folks go as flat as 2/12.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

Quote from: larrydown60 on October 10, 2015, 10:20:05 PM
Shed is looking great. Do you have to have your lumber graded?

In cases where a building permit is required, then yes, the building inspector will require graded lumber.  However, agricultural purpose buildings do not require a building permit in our county.  Even large commercial hog and poultry operations don't require a building permit around here.  I suppose someone could argue that my mill shed is not an agricultural building, but it also doubles as my tractor shed too. ;D

If I were building a carport or garage then I would be required to get a building permit.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

stanwelch

Looks like an ag building to me! 
Bet you can fill that tree line with sawdust milling with your LT40- nice machine
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

ncsawyer

All the sheeting boards went up today...metal is supposed to be here this week!  I am in the short rows now!  8)  I need to add a couple of braces from each post up to the truss that is sitting on top of that post.  That should eliminate the little bit of sway from side to side.  I also plan on milling some 3/4 by 12 poplar for board and batten siding to close in the two end trusses. 

Can't wait to see some orange paint under shelter!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

Here are the last few pictures of the mill shed.  I got it all framed up and had to wait on metal.

Now I finally got some orange paint under the new shelter!!  No more worrying around with that old huge heavy tarp I used to use to keep the mill out of weather. 

The new shelter should see its first sawdust on Saturday.  Have a guy brining a 42" by 8' red oak.  That one should be fun!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

larrydown60

Fantastic job, been waiting to see the progress. Looking forward to seeing whats next Enjoy

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ncsawyer on October 10, 2015, 10:28:54 PM
Quote from: tburch on October 10, 2015, 09:46:51 PM

The trusses clear span 20ft with about 2ft of overhang.   

This is the only picture I have of them on the computer right now.  There are actually 4 trusses in that stack.  The top cord and the vertical piece in the center are 2x6 and the bottom cord is made of 2-1x6's, one on each side of the truss.  Then there are four short 1x6's at the peak (two on each side of the truss) to hold the top cords together at the peak.  I didn't really have any plans and don't know that I have ever seen any trusses built that way, but I built some just like that for another smaller building and they worked really well. I just started building and that's what I ended up with.  If the span had been longer than 20ft, I would probably had to design a little differently. 

The roof pitch is 4/12 by the way.  Down here with no snow, some folks go as flat as 2/12.
When I built my wife's horse barn 24 years ago, I had a 16' clear span isle-way and 18" overhang.  I made my trusses the same layout but from 2x4s (single layer) and 1/2" CDX plywood gussets for all the joints.  I didn't think 1x boards would hold up to the stress (splitting) - plus I glued all the plywood joints.  Those things were indestructible!  (no snow load)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

The mill looks good under there.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rasman57

Be proud of your effort on that nice shed.  Nothing quite like building it yourself and getting good functional use out of it.  Good work!

DeerMeadowFarm

Kipper

Looks Excellent !! I am very envious...  What was the total size of it?
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

ncsawyer

Quote from: Kipper on October 22, 2015, 10:32:50 AM
Looks Excellent !! I am very envious...  What was the total size of it?

It is 20x48 with about 1.5 ft of overhang on all 4 sides.  That gives a few more feet under roof.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

fishfighter

Nice, just about the size I need, but I need it higher up. 13'+ to be able to park my backhoe under. ;D

Kipper

How do you plane to get the sawdust up from the backside of the mill?
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

samandothers

WOW! Love it. ya done good... or did well! :D

ncsawyer

Quote from: Kipper on October 22, 2015, 03:07:14 PM
How do you plane to get the sawdust up from the backside of the mill?

I have a shavings bucket for the tractor that I usually use to clean up all my sawdust where ever my mill is.  I think I may board up that back wall just behind the mill to catch the saw dust.  That will give me something to push the sawdust against with the loader to make it easier to get up.  Most of my milling is not done on my site.  Most of my jobs are mobile, so I usually don't have to worry about cleaning up too much sawdust. 

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

I haven't been on the forum regularly for a while.  We moved to the western part of NC a little over a year ago and we sold our place in Eastern NC with the mill shed I built that is outlined in this thread.  

I have finally gotten caught up enough, that I have started on a new mill shed.  The new one will be an almost identical design, just bigger.  The new one will be 32x72.  We have gotten the posts set and have acquired enough pine to frame everything.  I will still have a 24 foot opening at the mill.  I have a 10 inch I beam to span that opening.  

I plan to get pictures of the progress as I go.  Here's what we have so far.

The last picture is my log pile.  Hopefully I have enough to get it dried in

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

caveman

That is a good looking whack of pine to saw and I am surprised you could have such a flat spot in western NC.  I look forward to seeing your progress.
Caveman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!