iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Shed - Finally

Started by ncsawyer, September 20, 2015, 09:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

Quote from: caveman on November 18, 2019, 08:01:51 PM
That is a good looking whack of pine to saw and I am surprised you could have such a flat spot in western NC.  I look forward to seeing your progress.
We are in the foothills.  The problem with that particular flat spot is water.  That is where all the water from the higher areas flows.  We had to move quite a bit of dirt to build up a good building pad.  We had to bring the low side up about 2.5 feet to get it nice and level.  

Quote from: thecfarm on November 19, 2019, 06:08:59 AM
Bigger is better!!
That's always been my opinion!!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

This is a long awaited update.  I am finally putting the finishing touches on my mill shed after starting it in 2019.  We milled everything except the posts and we made our own trusses.  The building is 32x72 with posts 12ft on center with a 24ft opening (skipped post) right in front of mill.  I am going to leave open on three sides.  All there is left to do are the batts on the siding on the long side of the barn and pull power over to it.  Between my 9-5 job, farming and adding to the family, I didn't think, I'd ever get there, but finally did!

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

beenthere

Very nice. Congrats for getting it this far along. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Resonator

Like the half-wood, half-tin wall idea, easy to fix or modify down the road. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Andries

I thought the first version was looking pretty darn good.
But this second version of your sawmill barn is looking even better, well done!
Question: when you built your trusses, is the bottom cord 1x or 2x material? Construction screws or air nailer? 
Perfect photo sequence, shows the build from start to finish.
I'd say you're getting to be pretty darn good at this building thing. 👍
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

ncsawyer

Quote from: Andries on January 30, 2023, 11:43:47 AMQuestion: when you built your trusses, is the bottom cord 1x or 2x material? Construction screws or air nailer?

The bottom cord is made from 1x6s. On one side of the truss the 1x6s are joined in the middle of the truss.  On the opposite side they are joined about halfway between the middle and end with a 2x6 block, so everything wouldn't be joined in the same place.  I used an air nailer with ring shank nails.  Here's another view of a truss that might help.

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

Quote from: Resonator on January 30, 2023, 11:38:26 AM
Like the half-wood, half-tin wall idea, easy to fix or modify down the road. smiley_thumbsup
Thanks! Using metal at the bottom should prevent rot and deterioration from water splashing back on the building from the drip line of the roof.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

barbender

Nice, nice, nice!! I am in envy! I like the metal at the bottom, and your trusses are out of the box. Did you design them yourself, or see them somewhere else first?
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fluidpowerpro

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

ncsawyer

Quote from: barbender on January 30, 2023, 01:01:03 PM
Nice, nice, nice!! I am in envy! I like the metal at the bottom, and your trusses are out of the box. Did you design them yourself, or see them somewhere else first?
I guess you could say that I designed them myself.  I built a platform and attached to the back of my gooseneck trailer so I would have a large enough flat area to build them. I had a picture in my mind and built one and it turned out good, so I screwed down blocks and made a jig and made duplicates of my first one.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

BoomerMT

WOW, that is a super impressive shed....Nice work

scsmith42

That really came out well!  I need to hop on the bike one weekend and stop by to say "Howdy" and check out your operation.

Sweet job on the trusses too.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

jpassardi

Looking good - no small amount of work/time to get that done part time with little to no help. I know that drill...
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Thank You Sponsors!