iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solubor source in southeastern NYS?

Started by Old Greenhorn, September 23, 2020, 05:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

OK, I have been reading for a couple of years here about the need for treating wood right off the mill. I have had precious little issue with insects and read all the discussions and filed it away for later. I have been trying to get up to speed on a lifetime of missed learning and I can't take it all in at once.
 Anyway, yesterday I went out and grabbed a bunch of material off my pine drying pile and see lots of frass piles. The time has finally come. SO I thought I would just get a small quantity of solubor (or timbor) on order and pull my stacks apart an treat it all before it got worse. Obviously I would like to just make a short drive and buy some but I can't find a local supplier. I re-read many of the threads here looking for suggestions and found a few. But most of these are for 25# bags and that is pricey for me on a fixed income, I was just looking for enough to treat what I have and get me started. A few pounds, maybe 5 or 10, until I learned the ropes. I found a decent deal on the web for 1# bags, but they will not ship the material to NYS for some reason.
 SO I am looking for a source of smaller quantities. If I can find it in SE NY, or SW VT, or Western MA, or CT, I would be willing to take a drive. Anybody out there can give me some direction? 90 bucks, plus 30 bucks shipping is a considerable expense for me at this time. I am not whining (ok, I am trying not to), but I need to find a source I can afford to get me going. I feel like I am hemorrhaging money in small amounts all over the place and I have not got to the point where I am selling anything yet.
 Any hints would, as always, be appreciated. I expect to be visiting family in SW VT (Wilmington) next month so if there is something around there, that would be super. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

I went into my local feed store and he was able to get me a 50lb bag from his supplier.  It cost me about $100.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

Go where the farmers go to buy fertilizer around there, Solubor is a micronutrient. At a minimum they can call their supplier and have a sack thrown on their next truckload. Being that a little goes a long way in a field or garden some will break a bag and sell by the pound.

Old Greenhorn

I am having a hard time finding 'that guy". Nebraska helped me out with a small source supplier and I have some on order now. But I continue to look for 'that guy'.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

farmfromkansas

Do you have a local farmers COOP?  I got a bag here in Kansas, it is not a common chemical at my local COOP, but their supplier has it.  Just had to bug them till they got it ordered.  Winfield United was the supplier. And it was Solubor.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

doc henderson

I got a small bag (1.25 pounds)  from our bug spray company.  it is timbor.  can try borax, but it is hard to dissolve.  I have sprinkled it on the ground, and I spray bugs of I see them.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

Mine came in a 50# bag-cheap!- from a KY pesticide seller who services the independent and DIY "bug sprayers". It was hard from ambient humidity but being a tightwad I dropped it on the floor first, then on rainy days busted it up with a hammer into a plastic drum and I sift it through window screen into dry milk jugs for mixing small amts..
You'll see it anywhere from~$15 big bag to an arm & a leg...
My local fertilizer plants had zero. Local Southern States had zero.
Near large rivers it may come from barge/bulk fertilizer sellers?  

Google? My new source to buy & sell is FB Marketplace. Full of stuff! I've also sold a wood stove & kitchen table on there-no fees either.
Idea?: I talked to a planing mill, log home supply sawmiller in TN who said he no longer treats his cabin wall logs he mills, he simply gives the buyer a bucket of Solubor to do it when best applied. I have no idea where he bought the stuff. Seems that in the heart of the midwest soybean areas it's more common on the farm, etc.? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Old Greenhorn

OK, finally making some headway. In desperation I posted a note on my FB page asking my friends if anyone knew of a real farm supply in our area that might have or order the stuff for me. Turns out nobody really knew what I meant and kept referring me to all the hardware stores I already knew didn't have it and places that claim to be farm and feed stores but only cater to gentlemen farmers with large pets.
 Nebraska turned me to an internet supplier yesterday and I ordered a 5# bag from them, but the shipping is nearly as much as the product. SO I am good in the short run.
 However, it turns out I have a friend I had forgotten about from back in my firefighting days and he owns and exterminating company and thinks he has it in stock. He is pretty sure he has Timbor. He will check when he is in the office, but says he can get me whatever I need on 5 days notice for his cost. Looks like I am all set!

Nebraska

A-z farmer

Old Greenhorn 
Winfield solutions has solubor I think they are across the Hudson from you .I have ordered solubor in years past from them in 50 pound bags .This year they sent me boron 14.5 percent I am sure by mistake but I got busy and did not follow up on it .I know it was 35 dollars a bag .
If you need some I have some solubor on hand .
Zeke

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I will bet that your county extension office will be able to direct you to a supplier.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Old Greenhorn

So thanks to a hot lead from Nebraska, I ordered and just received my first 5# bag of solubor to get me started. It is the standard 20.5% stuff everyone (I think) uses. However there are no mixing instructions. I am certain I have seen the instructions here on the forum, but for the moment I can't locate it. Anybody care to share with me how much of this powder goes into a gallon of water? Does it need to be hot water? I feel like an idiot, but I can't figure it out, this is my first time down this road.
We have rain coming and I am wondering if I should hold off until after. When it rains I will get some wood really wet as I pull the pile apart, spray it, then re-stack. Maybe I should wait until the rain passes?
Your wisdom in guiding a lost and confused soul is appreciated.

caveman

We usually add about one pound per gallon.  It dissolves a lot easier in hot water.  It will also clog up your spray nozzle when it dries if you do not dump it and clean your sprayer.
Caveman

WDH

Yes, one pound per gallon as a preventative treatment.  If you don't have hot water to help dissolve it, mix it up one day ahead of when you use it.  Time helps it dissolve.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!