iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know this species of mushroom?

Started by HemlockKing, August 30, 2021, 06:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorsmissbeehaven

I took this picture couple weeks ago while walking the property. Never seen this one before! Brian

Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Tacotodd

PM me for an answer 🤫  . It's funny but not appropriate to a family site 😵‍💫
Trying harder everyday.

SwampDonkey

I don't have a photo, but I have noticed along one of the trails an old rotten stump smothered in turkey tail mushroom.

But other than that it has been a mushroom year up here, the forest floor had 100's and now they look like little black piles of fresh greasy dung. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wisconsitom

HK, look in genuses Hygrocybe, Hygrophorus, Hygrophoropsis, and Mycena.  Might be in one of them.  Is cap moist?
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Old Greenhorn

Well I am gonna kick up this thread rather than start a new one. I found these at a neighbor's home today. Exceptional examples, I thought. Anybody have a guess?

The samples in the above photo were 5-8" wide.
The one below is juvenile, emerging from a root..

Mid-range of growth.

and underneath, no gills

This is another root cluster, over 10" across:

Here's a hint: it's growing on a Hemlock.

It's ganoderma tsugae, commonly called reishi or hemlock reishi. It is the only mushroom I know that grows on Hemlock. It's not poisonous but is not considered an 'edible' because of the harsh taste. Used mostly in extracts for an immunosuppressant. Also supposed to good for blood pressure, liver issues, respiratory, and histamine response.
 All I know is that it's really pretty. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

I always call shelf mushrooms polypores, that's the extent of my knowledge on them. Except maybe red belted polypore. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!