iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash or White oak

Started by jb616, March 10, 2022, 11:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb616

A coworker is putting a wood bed in an old pickup that he is restoring and needs one more piece of wood. I think it is Ash but others thought White Oak.  What's your opinion?  Thanks in advance

PoginyHill

Looks like ash to me. Sap ring looks too large to be W oak.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

beenthere

Do not see white oak rays... but pic is not clear and in focus.

For a bed, hope it is white oak and not ash.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

kantuckid

Not that it doesn't rot more easily but ash is a traditional wood for vehicle frames such as the Morgan from the UK and some USA antique auto parts. White oak hands down to last. Even Chestnut Oak in the same family doesn't last anything like WO other than where it's protected such as via overhang.

I have exactly one sawable ash on our place. It's probably a 125-130 year old tree but could be younger as it's near a branch and relatively wet feet.
 I wonder how susceptible it is to the evil bug? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WDH

I am with the Boss.  It certainly is ash. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

It's so tempting to make some smart ash remark.

On this;
Quote from: kantuckid on March 10, 2022, 03:47:58 PM
Not that it doesn't rot more easily but ash is a traditional wood for vehicle frames such as the Morgan from the UK and some USA antique auto parts. White oak hands down to last. Even Chestnut Oak in the same family doesn't last anything like WO other than where it's protected such as via overhang.

Role of Tyloses in the Durability of Chestnut Oak | Treesearch (usda.gov)

The chances of the EAB finding that tree is about 100%

aigheadish

Hmm... The ash here looks quite different. Mine seems to have a much lighter and grayer tone to it. Most of what I see is from my yard and it either standing dead or fallen and left in place, so I don't know how much the ageing effects things. I see lots of spalting and not much consistent grain like this.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

kantuckid

So it's: hows yer Tyloses today? Interesting the variation from place growing. 
One of my childhood nicknames is TY so name catches my eye. :D

I have an old dug well beside our garden plot. I laid up stone to make safer and usable for transplanting etc.. The top on it has been built from Chestnut Oak twice now. Mostly because I've got lots of big ones and the recent severe weather years have some toppling over. I did a board & batten storage barn in 10" chestnut oak maybe 25 yrs ago and it really holds up there but not that well. High humidity doesn't help from water inside and evaporation.
That sole Ash is a big tree in a spot I gave serious thought to placing a lake, but cost was high as dam was also high, so no lake. 
That trees always been in my eye as my springtime walks looking for wildflowers takes me down in that branch area of much beauty. Jack in the Pulpit, trilliums- red & white, Lady Slippers, so on.   
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!