iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

At what propane price does it become cheaper to heat water with electric

Started by 21incher, April 12, 2022, 12:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I am at the point my water heater will need replacing soon. It's a 17 year old propane one that had a 6 year warranty. When installed propane was about $1.69 a gallon and electric 13 cents a KW. Now propane is over $5.00 a gallon and electric about 16 cents a KW delivered. Wondering if it would pay to switch over to electric with 3x cost increase of propane over the years. Plus at the same cost as a propane unit there are some higher efficiency electric units. Seems to me with uncertain propane costs and supply issues it would pay me to switch. I have a 50 amp breaker from the old electric stove that could be rerouted and replaced with a 60 amp that seems to be the electric requirement for them. Lets get some opinions.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

florida

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

tawilson

Check out heat pump water heaters. Hot water plus air conditioning sounds like a good deal.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

alan gage

How much usage? I've had electric at my last 2 houses and it's plenty cheap enough. Only me living here though. 

Propane here is only $2/gallon and that's considered high. It's usually closer to $1. Electric is .13

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

SwampDonkey

$5.17 a gallon up here and electric 11 cents. Electric anything has beat fuel for years up this way. By at least 18 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SawyerTed

The following are some basic numbers for comparing propane with electricity.  Forgive me Hank Hill  :D :D Given 3 hours of water heating time per day.....

A water heater will use around 1.5 gallons of propane a day, if I recall correctly.
An electric water heater will use about 14 kw a day. That's 4.5 kw each for 3 hours. 
If propane is $5 per gallon and a kw is $0.13

1.5 x 5 = 7.50 per day propane
14 x .13 = 1.82 per day electricity

Electricity wins by a long shot.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

stavebuyer

Make sure you do the math on your electric bill. By the time they finish with the various taxes, surcharges, and add on environmental fees my actual price per KW used is about double the stated rate.

Going forward electric rates will skyrocket and propane will probably become illegal.

Pick your peril.  :o

21incher

Thanks everyone.  Definitely  looks like electric wins in our case.

Quote from: florida on April 12, 2022, 01:03:53 PM
Residential Water Heater Cost Calculator | Efficiency Maine

Figure it out here. Looks like electric is way ahead
Thanks for the link. That's a great resource when comparing the efficiency of the appliance versus price of the water heater.  I just read an article you are better off buying  a seperate heat pump because they outlast most water heaters so down the line it's  cheaper to replace a simple water heater.  I just found Bosch recently  started making a unit specially for Amazon and will probably go that way to start and add a heat pump if the operating cost justifies it. With well water there's a big temperature differential so I don't  think the energy guides are accurate. 
Never thought that electric would  be cheaper then propane to use for heating water in my lifetime.  
Quote from: stavebuyer on April 12, 2022, 04:30:19 PM
Make sure you do the math on your electric bill. By the time they finish with the various taxes, surcharges, and add on environmental fees my actual price per KW used is about double the stated rate.

Going forward electric rates will skyrocket and propane will probably become illegal.

Pick your peril.  :o

I go by actual delivered cost. They recently did add surcharges to the bill. At this point  in time nothing is stable but I figure they have to keep electric costs down to get people  to buy electric vehicles. 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

There's parts of the bill that are recurring no matter how much you use, service fee being one. Tax rate is generally stable for long periods, where as fuel is not stable, which is also taxed. I generally don't see a rate/kwh increase here more than once in 3 years, and just 1 or 2 pennies.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jimbarry

Quote from: 21incher on April 12, 2022, 04:39:46 PM
... With well water there's a big temperature differential so I don't  think the energy guides are accurate. ...
Here's a thought... what if you installed an older water tank into the cold water line before the hot water tank? The idea being to have the cold well water get up closer to room temperature before it gets to the hot water tank. 

beenthere

What Jim suggests is what I do. Pre-warm the well water before it goes into the domestic Propane gas water heater.
Still operating fine since 1994 (and still no maintenance or replacement of parts). 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Beware pf code changes in that time frame if you have your gas waterheater in a closet with limited space. You have to buy a special water heater that is extremely expensive. It disables it's self if it detects gas and has to be inspected before returning to service.  We are in the land of natural gas, and because of this, went to electric because they were a 5th the price of what we had to buy to meet code.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Menagerie-Manor

May want to consider a propane On-demand water heater since your already setup with gas, I swapped over a few years ago and never looked back.
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

21incher

Jeff my current  water heater just has a tee in the furnace chimney and no longer meets the codes so a powered fan one is required to replace it. It's in the middle of the basement so plenty of clearance. I am thinking electric is the best choice now because  that would  need new venting and electric anyway to meet code. I just checked  and the old 50 amp stove outlet has enough  wire to reach water heater so it should just require a new breaker to match the heater and I won't  have to buy wire.

A preheating tank is a good idea. I could  leave the old propane heater in place that would be good for long power outages also and put the electric  one behind it.

I actually was thinking  a small heat pump they make for water heaters in the future that's  supposed  to cut 25% of the cost to heat water with  electric.  

Magicman

At the Cabin I went from LP to an electric on-demand.  It was a $aver for me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

How many women live in your house? 

My experience with electric is it could never keep up with my wife and teenage daughters. I got tired of cold showers and was thrilled when I moved here and we had natural gas. JMHO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dougtrr2

I am in an unusual situation.  I have natural gas from a farm tap.  The gas company is going to work on that line and will shut off my gas for a month.  They have paid the cost to install an electric water heater.  (Lucky me, my gas water heater was 18 years old)  They are also going to pay me a significant daily fee for my inconvienence.  So I could easily wind up with enough money to switch back to natural gas with no out of pocket expense.

I plan on seeing what effect the electric heater has on my bill and then decide whether to keep in or change back.  So far with just the wife and I the electric heater seems to do fine.

Doug in SW IA

21incher

The biggest cause of running out of hot water no matter  what type of fuel is used is having  an improperly sized heater. It's  very easy to calculate based on the flow rate of your  fixtures.  Another  problem  that occurs  in electric units is maintenance based on the type of water you have. With  high TDs content you may have to remove and clean the elements yearly because  of mineral build up on the elements.  I just sized a unit based on a 90 deg temp rise and it looks like I have to go up to a 50 gallon  electric  from the 40 gallon propane I currently  have because  of recovery rate. I currently use 200 gallons  of propane  a year for hot water that is about $1000.00 and the energy label on the electric replacement says it will be around  $450.00 when I use my current rate so the change theoretically should  pay for itself in a couple years. I will see.

That preheat  tank is a good  idea and I found a 20 gallon  electric  heater and some 48 volt DC electrodes that will fit it. I think in the future I will buy 3 48volt 450 watt solar panels to play with.  Most laundry  is done on sunny  days so it can be hung out so this may actually help out without a big investment. 

kantuckid

Quote from: stavebuyer on April 12, 2022, 04:30:19 PM

Pick your peril.  :o
We live in KY, and get our juice from Clark Rural Electric. No way I'd ever go to propane in todays world at this location and off grids not gonna happen here either. That math's really simple-electric is lots cheaper, total bill considered. Delta NG comes to the edge of our land but it's about a 1/2 mile of pipeline out of my pocket to run the line to the house. Back in 1978 when we bought this place they would add no new customers, as the current thinking back then was that NG supplies were less than a hundred years. Maybe 20 yrs later we began to get letters offering us service. The line cost makes it nonsensical to go to NG at our ages. 
Actually in the beginning my FIL was going to drill us a NG well, as this entire area we live in is full of old wells-then he died the month we moved in and that deal ended. 
For the history books, I paid 7 cents a gallon into my own 1,000 gallon LPG tank when I moved here in 1973, and then it was 37 cents a gallon in KY. Gasoline was also much higher here too.   
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Jeff

I had the pig topped off in the U.P. this week because there is a real chance up there, that prices could turn propane into unobtainium.  

The bill was $313.76  for 90.1 gallons delivered.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Quote from: 21incher on April 13, 2022, 10:36:14 AM
 Another  problem  that occurs  in electric units is maintenance based on the type of water you have. With  high TDs content you may have to remove and clean the elements yearly because  of mineral build up on the elements. 
I ran one here on hard water for 16 years trouble free, there was nothing to clean. The one in the new house runs off water softened water and has 9 year warranty, again nothing to clean.

scsmith42

Quote from: Menagerie-Manor on April 12, 2022, 07:59:34 PM
May want to consider a propane On-demand water heater since your already setup with gas, I swapped over a few years ago and never looked back.
^^^ This.
I have a tank style LP water heater in the house and an LP on-demand style in the veterinary clinic. My replacement WH for the house will be on-demand LP.
If you're only heating what you use I think that LP is cheaper.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

rjwoelk

Quote from: tawilson on April 12, 2022, 01:10:20 PM
Check out heat pump water heaters. Hot water plus air conditioning sounds like a good deal.
The only problem is once your water is hot you get no cold, unless you use a lot of hot water.  So in summer you would get a little bit of cooling, but in winter you need to dump the cold outside. Pointless to heat then warm up that cold air allover again.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

doc henderson

it is hard to compare unless you know the price of all, and try to compare apples to apples. point of use is more efficient.  a few years back, NG and wood were about 7 bucks per million BTUs, and electric and LP was 14 bucks.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Larry

Quote from: 21incher on April 13, 2022, 10:36:14 AM
I just sized a unit based on a 90 deg temp rise and it looks like I have to go up to a 50 gallon  electric  from the 40 gallon propane I currently  have because  of recovery rate.
I would double check the size tank.

While building my house a few years ago we lived in the shop with a 30 gallon unit equipped with an extra insulating blanket.  Just the two of us and we never ran out of hot water.

I put a 40 gallon in the house, again just the two of us most of the time.  Occasionally have quests that brings occupants to five.  Never ran out of hot water.

Another option is two small hot water heaters.  Only run one until you have a need for extra hot water like with house guests.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!