iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mistaken for white oak

Started by PAbilly, April 20, 2022, 08:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAbilly

Hello everyone, I mistook this tree for a small white oak and I am not a novice in the woods. It was amongst white oaks, hemlocks and red maples in a PA hemlock bog. Any idea what it is? I suspect poplar but not too familiar with it. Thanks for your help

Prizl tha Chizl

I see possibly red elm or dogwood family. Show me a close up of the buds and that would help....
"The Woods Is My Church"

JBlain

Josh

iwearhats

Quote from: JBlain on April 20, 2022, 08:43:27 PM
Looks like Black Gum to me.
The bark is wrong for black gum. It's much more indicative of elm.

JBlain

Hard to tell for me on the bark pics.  Looks like a younger black gum which bark is completely different in central PA on my property than larger ones.  The heartwood and sap color trend.  Hard for me to tell though.  Google Image Result for https://s3.amazonaws.com/eit-planttoolbox-prod/media/images/Nyssa_sylvatica_bark_nwqq1q6K6kgs.jfif
Josh

WDH

Elm is ring porous.  Blackgum is diffuse porous.  The two will not be confused given a close up pic of the end grain that clearly shows the annual rings.  

From what I can see, the wood is diffuse porous, but the pic lacks enough detail for me to be sure.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PAbilly

I will get some different pics of buds when I get a chance. Thanks guys

PAbilly

PAbilly

Im leaning toward elm after doing some research, let me know what you think of the other pics i posted. its hard to get in close enough and keep the image clear. Thanks again gentlemen

WDH

You are right at the northern limit of its range, but it sure looks to be sweetgum.  The bark is right, the heartwood is right, the bud is right, the short shoots are right.  

If the specimen in the last pics is still alive, when the leaves come out that will confirm whether it is sweetgum or not. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moodnacreek

On the first photo it sure looks like sweet gum. They have it in north N.J. soyou may not be too far north.

PAbilly

Thanks again for your help everyone. I will see what happens when the leaves come out to know for sure

PAbilly

WDH

Don P

What ID's them before leafout for me is all the 45° angles in the branches.

Prizl tha Chizl

Thanks for posting the follow up pics, helpful to everyone that we cash see this through to its end.
"The Woods Is My Church"

JBlain

PAbilly, do I win some type of door prize. That bark and also cookie looked exactly like small suppressed black gum on my property in Central PA.  Cheers
Josh

PAbilly

No prize buddy but good call, I will revere your input on future tree questions though if that's any consolation

Thank You Sponsors!