iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening Discs/Rocks

Started by LeeB, September 19, 2022, 12:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

For those that are still using drag type sharpeners, where are you getting your discs from? I have bought from Cooks in the past. Just wondering what other vendors are out there.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

kelLOGg

I use the CatClaw drag sharpener but I don't know what a disk is. Cam?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

YellowHammer

Cooks sent me some with the Norton label on them, I assume that's where they buy theirs from. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

LeeB

I have searched the Norton catalog and do not find the discs (grind wheels) offered there.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

customsawyer

Back when I had one I got the best results from a pink stone from Suffolk machinery. I think they called it Ruby Red.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bruno of NH

Lots of Norton wheel on Amazon 
Rockler woodworking 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

JoshNZ

I got sick of trying to source wheels that held their shape all the way around the band, ended up buying a CBN wheel off cutting edge and knocked a bit off the back of the cam with a flap disc. I feel like I persevered long enough with the stones to reliably say CBN is just streaks ahead. If this is an option for you I'm sure many others will nudge you in that direction.

LeeB

I asked him about one several years ago and he was not offering one for a drag sharpener. Has that changed recently?

JoshNZ

Well you change it from a drag sharpener by modifying the cam shape, so that it doesn't drag, then use a wheel shaped for the band profile as normal. Run it slowly and mark with a pen where you need to take material off the cam to get the wheel to drop in as soon as the tooth arrives then lift clear before the pusher starts moving the tooth. It still sort of ghost drags but the wheel is clear and lifting and stays clear as the tooth is advanced, so functions same as CBN.

It probably only took me ten minutes with a flap disc.

KirkD

In a thread on here Pineywoods said on his Woodmizer drag sharpener he had to upgrade the motor in order to use a CBN wheel.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=106151.0

Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

JoshNZ

Yeah I upgraded the motor too but I was going to do that before I ever considered CBN. The little DC one on it was either spent or gummed brushes or whatever it was it wasn't cutting the mustard

JoshNZ

Those chainsaw grinders that come out of a factory in China somewhere, they're a dime a dozen. They have a little ~200watt motor on them and they're perfect for it.

It was cheaper for me to buy a Chinese product and pull the motor than it was to source a motor in NZ

Thank You Sponsors!