iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seedlings Around A Tree

Started by Deadwood, November 04, 2005, 02:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadwood

A few days ago I was pleased to be having a pile of logs turned into boards by some very capable sawyers. It was a father-son team and as the day progressed we talked about how high the price of a new saw rig was, how he had enough work to go all winter and how he was fortunate enough to be working outside instead of inside some stuffy office. When he made a comment that his son wanted a new saw rig that was very high in cost, but still justifiable to buy, my reply was simple.

"If you can justify it, buy it. You get to work with your son everyday. That's priceless these days."

You had to be there to see his reaction, but you could tell that such a statement had never dawned on him before. I bring this up because I think its important sometimes to get a little perspective.

While not everyone who works in the forestry industry has the ability to work with their children, the fact that this is one of only a few remaining industries where you can do that, is very important. Farming and fishing are some other examples I know, but in this day of sending you children off to learn a trade or go to college, I think society has really lost something. A real bond between children and their parents. Now I know not every child wants to work alongside their parents, and vice versa, but for those of you who do, I think you are truly blessed.

There is the pride of watching them aquire skills and use them to provide for their up and coming families. There is the enjoyment of watching them develope, to make mistakes and to learn from them. Then there is the just the sheer enjoyment of watching them participate in a career that you also love.

So for those of you who are fortunate enough to work along side your children, I hope you stop for a minute as this sawyer friend of mine did, and step back from the day to day operations and realize just how really blessed you are. In this modern world where we are forever distancing parents from their children, you have something priceless and prabably don't even know it.

Thank You Sponsors!