iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

swing blade mills

Started by woodbeard, February 09, 2003, 06:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

I am seriously considering the purchase of a swing blade type sawmill, and have been researching the various Lucas, Peterson, and Brand X models. I have found a lot of good info in the archives here, but still have a few questions. I will be using the mill both stationary and portable.
 I like the overall construction of the Peterson, especially the carriage setup, but it looks more difficult to move around than that of the Lucas, especially for one person. Keep in mind I say "looks"- I have not seen any of these mills in person.
 The Lucas appeals to me because I can drive over to Bailey's eastern warehouse in Jackson, TN and pick up the smaller model (6"cut, 13hp) for $5000. I wonder if this unit is underpowered, though.
 The Brand X looks great as a stationary unit, and with Petersons export prices going way up, the price tag is good for a 8" mill (the size I would ideally like to have). The drive to Montana is a bit much, though.
 I guess these are not really questions, but statements I would like some feedback on, and I thank you in advance for such.
George

Minnesota_boy

Look far into the future and see what you will be doing with the mill.  I have been doing almost entirely custom sawing and have customers that like 2x12x20, 10x12x22, 8x8x32, etc.  These are the higher paying jobs, because few mill can or will do them.  I still do a lot of 1x6x8 or 2x4x8 because these are wanted too and are the bread and butter of my operation, but I sur like the option for some gravy jobs too.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

woodbeard

Actually, I'm focusing more on the near future. Dewey Robinson's Sawmill has recently shut down, and that is where I, and others used to get poplar dimension lumber for various building projects, Mostly 2x4-2x6,etc. Also, I want to build a kiln and produce dimension stock for further milling as well as select and figured hardwood and turning stock for local woodworkers/cabinet shops and my own woodworking business. The swing blade will allow me to take the dimensions I need right out of the log and not have to rip/resaw for further processing.

Ron Wenrich

How about a used mill?

http://www.sawmillexchange.com/circular.htm

You may also want to consider a dimension type of mill.  Get what will fit your needs now, and move up as markets, budget and time dictate.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Haytrader

You can get the Brand X  or the Peterson with out tracks. Have either freighted to you and build your own tracks.
Haytrader

woodbeard

I really do like the idea of building my own track for a Brand X
This would optimise the stationary setup I am envisioning, but might limit portability.
How easy is it to move the carraige assembly of the X or the Peterson from the truck to the log and vice versa in comparison to the Lucas carraige?
It may be that I should focus on a stationary swingblade operation and use the chainsaw mill for logs I can't or would rather not move.
Probably supplying my own power unit would further reduce shipping costs and hassles. And come to think of it, I do happen to have a couple 20' lengths of 3" angle iron. Hmmm.
Thanks,
George

Haytrader

When I talked to Brand X, he said he would sell without the tracks and with the plans for the tracks. Looks like you could decide how big of a log you would saw and have one made to fit a band saw like portable frame and you could have it all. ;)
Haytrader

jollywoodtic

By accident I got to watch the Brand X in competition against Lucas, Woodmeiser's computerized deisel and two other mills--I don't remember their names, in Idaho City, Idaho last summer.  I went to Idaho to watch the Fuel Reductions Trials put on by the USFS, not shop for mills.  I used free time between shows to watch the mills.  At first I basically dismissed the Brand X because he only had a small engine (16 hp I think) and everyone else had 25 to 50 hp, all the bells and whistles.  By afternoon though, the Brand X had my attention and the undivided attention of about everyone else.

In short, the size and quality of the lumber piles was obvious.  When the FS and lumber broker brass threw out the culls and barkies and tallied the results, the Brand X beat all of the rest bad, and with no culls.  He about doubled them on accuracy and about double on the amount of good lumber he got from the same size log.  

I'm told he laser aligns his tracks to within .030 of an inch and I'm thinking he is patent or patent pend. on his track and log dogging systems.  You might want to check both of those out before you build a track!

By the way a trip to Montana to get one of his mills might be a good excuse for a vacation and a man might learn quite a little bit by spending a few hours with him.  He sure opened some eyes and sent some $30,000 mill manufactures back to their thinking chairs from Idaho City.

Haytrader

jollywoodtic,

Do you have a sawmill?
When I talked to Jay Brand of Brand X Sawmill, he mentioned this contest but didn't tell me he had done so good. He did say that although his mill didn't have as big a motor as others, he felt a bigger one was not needed. Guess he knows what he is talking about.
Since you were at the show, do you think the other sawyers there were experienced and it was strictly difference in the mills ability? I, for one, would like to hear more from you about this compitition.
Oh, I see this was your first post on the Forestry Forum. Welcome!
Haytrader

Bibbyman

Welcome Jollywoodtic,

Noted from your profile that you are in Cody, Wyoming - Probably among the top ten places in the country I'd consider moving to.  I've looked at real estate on the WWW for the Cody area from time to time.  Anything with trees and water is out of sight.  Anything remotely affordable is literally out of sight some where in the high desert.

Would you happen to know an old busted up cowboy named Chris Besley?  His son had a road house and camp grounds up the road from Cody before you get to the Yellowstone Park.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Vermonter

If you're going to supply your own tracks, 3" angle isn't needed with the Peterson.  The track on the peterson is stiffer than the Lucas, and the two pieces on the Winch Production Frame are easier to move alone.  The All Terrain Sawmills from Peterson are similar to the Lucas, Lucas was the Australian distributor of Peterson before they started to build their own mills (you figure it out!).  The Brand X doesn't have the CE safety certification that Peterson has.
The Peterson WPF won the 2002 shootout in Massachusetts, far and above the competition in the under $10,000 category.  This mill made a lot of sense to me, I was going to buy a Lucas.  The other things that swung me towards the Peterson was the aluminum and stainless construction (I want this thing to last), and also the ability to cut 16" without turning the carriage.
If the Tennessee location for lucas would work for you, check out the Peterson website, they still have an 8" 24hp hi/lo for sale in Maryland.  http://www.petersonsawmills.com
New homestead

woodbeard

Well, I've decided that the Lucas mill's need to reposition the carriage for double width cuts negates its portability as well as its lower price and proximity.  :-/
 I emailed Mr Brand of Brand X about shipping a mill minus the tracks, and he has apparently run into a snag in this regard. He says he will make a post here soon explaining the particulars, but in short, he is unable to sell the one without the other. :'(
 So, unless I turn up a real good deal on a Peterson next few months, I suppose I may take a lil' road trip this summer. Ya know, I've never been to Montana... ;)

Jeff

Plan a hunt and pick me up on the way through. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodbeard

Jeff, if I go hunting in Montana you are welcome to come along, but I will be bringing my big gun, 137cc w/31"bar, and maybe the Magnum (046 that is). If we bag us a big ol' ponderosa, we can butcher it with the Brand X. What say?
Yeah, I know, not much of a vacation ::), but maybe I could stop on the way back and work down some of those big owly logs in your yard. :)

Jeff

Log huntin in Montana sounds like a cool way to spend a vacation, but them look at what I do here for a hobby.

J Beyer

Jeff B.

It's nice to work at a mill and get paid for doing your hobby. ;)
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Frank_Pender

J Beyer, I resemble that remark. :D
Frank Pender

Jeff

Excuse me but where am I getting paid for doing the forum?

OneWithWood

Its all that love and respect we send your way.  You DonT want dollars instead, do ya? ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Nope, never expect or want a dime ever from a member.  ;D

J Beyer

I too have been considering my options when going to buy a mill and have thought a great deal about the portable circular mills.  The feature on some of these mills that really gets production up is having two horizontal blades to make 2 2X4's in one pass.
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

swinger

Hi all,

Have been lurking here for some time but couldn't resist
on this one. I live in a very isolated town of less than 2000
people that has 7, yeah thats 7 lucasmills. 4-8" and 3-6"
Iv'e had my model 8 for 5 years now and no complaints.
My mill has the older 20hp briggs and still impresses me.
Iv'e put my mill in my boat and hauled it up to 40 miles
away to mill lumber for people or to mill logs that were to
big to haul off the beach. The independent height ajust-
ment  is a asset in my opinion as I can ajust  for log taper
or uneven ground. The conditions Iv'e milled in have been
harsh to say the least. We get an average 120" rain a year
and it's 45 degrees and raining as I write this. The lack of
stainless on the lucas hs not affected my mill and I cut alot
of logs that have floated in the ocean and also work in the
salt air every day. I can break my mill down and have it
loaded on the truck in 10 min. Iv'e also done some
modifying that allows me to double cut up to 3" thick
without turning the powerhead. I have owned a woodmizer
and much prefer the lucas for the type of cutting i'm
doing now, mostly sitka spruce and western hemlock.
I also cut  wash ups of cedar,doug fir and once a big
mahogany that must have done alot of traveling. The
powerhead is very portable and can pushed or pulled
through soft sand with little effort. Just one man's
opinion. Thanks for all the info Iv'e recieved from this
forum.
                                Swinger

DanG

Hi, Swinger. Glad you decided to step out of the shadows. We can use some input from an experienced swing-blade man. :)
The swing-blades are fast becoming an important part of the portable mill industry. What is the biggest swinger on the market, anyway?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

carhartted

As I was reading your response I was thinking that sure sounds like Alaska.  

What part of Alaska are you in, I currently live in Fairbanks but have lived in Anchorage.  I also spend some of my summer each year on the Yukon between Tannana and Galena at Kokrine Hills Bible Camp.

It's nice to see others from this part of the world, have you planted a tree on the members map?

Joanthan
Here's to making sawdust.

swinger

carhartted,

Cordova, AK. eastern side of Prince William Sound.

Swinger

Thank You Sponsors!