iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ailanthus and spice bush

Started by OneWithWood, March 21, 2007, 10:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

:(

While plowing through the brambles in one of the openings we created in an attempt to regenerate oak I came accross a number of ailanthus (tree of heaven - should be called weed of haedes).  There was also a large grouping of sugar bush.  In the entire opening I found one red oak stump with sprouts.

I really, really, really want to eradicate the ailanthus and I would not mind eliminating or at least seriously reducing the spice bush.  This is the first ailanthus I have found on the property.

What treatments are recommended for ailanthus and spice bush?  How successful have folks been getting rid of this scourge?

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

tonich

You would probably have some serious problems with the Ailanthus (Ailanthus  Altissima).
It has almost none requirements to site, thus it grows extremely well in really poor sites. Nevertheless, it has a 1-3 m. annual height growth and thus, there are no competitors – at least oak seedling. Develops a very aggressive root system, which is among the best root sucker producers I’ve ever seen.
So, don’t want to be a bad prophet, but most likely, it will be giving you a hard time.
I’d recommend chemical treatment.

RynSmith

I'd say nuke it, hateful thing that it is.  You might find some helpful information here:

controlling ailanthus

Thank You Sponsors!