iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cross country shipping ideas

Started by TexasTimbers, March 18, 2005, 05:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

In choosing a sawmill for my purposes I had decided on a LM2000 , but stumbled across a manual LT-40 with all the goodies for $9500. Deciphering my chicken scratch from the phone conversation we had he described it as having "Log roller, log leveler, extra guide (?), ramps, twin winches for different sized logs, trailer, and 24 or 26 HP Onan engine."
Don't know how he couldn't know what size the engine is on his own sawmill. Says it has 500 hours on it and said he'd give me the number of the regional service center he took it to to have it "gone through".
It sounds like a really good buy to me. My dilemma is that it's in Washington state and I'm in North Texas. I don't have the time to do the driving.
I thought about rail service but Union Pacific has a 50,000 lb minimum, so that's out.
Is this a good buy like I believe and if so any shipping ideas out there?
KJ
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Sawing Logz

I don't know if this is agood buy (Timber Harvester owner) but i work in the trucking industry. You could find out if a local company goe's that way with a back load needed, and maybe get a good rate on a back haul.

Jeff
City Forrest Treecycler

Furby

DanG it! You guys need to stop tempting me!!!!

Yep, I'd look for a back haul.

Paul_H

KJ
Here is a link to another thread that might help you

Shipping Companies

Furby,
First you head out to Amherst and grab the resaw and take it out to Lynden WA where I meet you and take the saw home,then you swing over and grab the LT40,then you drive a few short hours to Frank's place and load up on burls before you shoot on down to Texas and deliver the saw and wait for further instructions  :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Furby

That's about the plan isn't it!
I'm sure if I wait long enough somebody will find something that needs to go from Texas back to the Michigan area, eh? :D
Now if only I had a bigger/better truck.  :'(
Now I could buy the 2001 F550 with 40,000 miles on it, that is on auction in about 10 hours. They even have a trailer for it.  :-\
Wish my DanG bank account was bigger. Anyone wanna spot me a few $$$ ???  ;D

Paul_H

Talk to OWW and see if you can borrow his 2005 for a quick run to grab some burls.  ;)

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Now there's an idea!!!  8)
Maybe I can even pick the truck up for him, and make sure everything works right before dropping it off to him.  ;) ;)

Paul_H

Maybe even give him a burl or something nice like that.  ;D

Paul_H

If you do borrow it,it might be an idea to talk to OWW ahead of time and insist that he orders a good liner,not one of those slippery plastic ones.

Another thought,I noticed at the Pig Roast that there was a Pickup with a FF logo on the door.I'm pretty sure it's for full members to use as they please.  :P

Furby

WOW! :o
I forgot about the FF truck. Think Jeff would hand over the keys, or would I have to hotwire it?
It would be used for Forum related stuff after all.  :)

I'd rather use OWW's truck, but beggers can't be choosers I guess.

Woodcarver

Tom, is that resaw still in the Amherst area or did it get loaded and on it's way Tuesday?
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

stumpy

Go to www.tractorshed.com On the left there is an option called hauling schedule. You can search for people that are hauling and find someone to haul for you. You can also post an ad for "need hauled". Most people on there are private haulers that have trailers to haul tractors and other implements. I have used it and the rates are usually pretty good.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Furby

Well since Kevjay has his shipping problem fixed, I thought I'd toss this in.
The F550 sold for $26,000.
Needless to say I was just a "few" $$$ short. Oh, well.............

J_T

Furby this should creer you up I was only 25,999 dollars and 95 cents short  :D :D
Jim Holloway

Furby

Yep J_T, it helps!
I was closer to buying it then you.  8)
Ya see, if I were to cash my pop cans in (we have a 10cent deposit here), I would have only needed 25,999 dollars and 80 cents more in order to buy it.  ;D

OneWithWood

Paul and Furby, you guys crack me up.  :D

Where else would I find folks so willing to wear my truck out before I even see it  :D :D :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Furby

Always willing to help out in situations such as this! ;)

Frank_Pender

Well, Furby, with the dollars you would make off the burls you gathered here, you could afford a new F550 and have plenty of change left over for all of the diesel you would need for the trip.  I have abour 5,000 lbs. in stock right now.  Let me know when you want to arrive and I will have the burl all boxed up and ready to head to Texas and other points East and South. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Furby

Are ya saying you need some deliveries made?  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!