iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recycling logging equipment

Started by Taylortractornut, February 06, 2012, 12:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylortractornut

I thought I might post the 2 conversions of a 518 Cat feller buncher and a 518 Cat skidder we converted into landfill compactors.     THe first is of our back up compactor we made another set of comepactor wheels for the skidder.       The first was made from a 518 Turnaround. Feller buncher we bought off our neighbor. 

My overload permit starts after sunset

thecfarm

I suppose those "tires" are solid metal?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Taylortractornut

The wheels are hollow, on the skidder they are filled with water and antifreeze and a bar of stop leak per wheel .        Cat used to sell a 518 cable rig frame with a compactor package.      I skidded  logs with it be for the conversion and a few times afterwards.  Makes a good tree chopper to. 

Bobus2003

Looks like Year round tire chains that need no adjustment :D

Okrafarmer

Nice. Now you just need a bigger blade on the skidder. I'm sure the grapple comes in handy sometimes...  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

I'll bet on solid ground they will shake your teeth out.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Taylortractornut

We have a bigger blade and rake on the skidder.  We had to pull the grapple later after the pic as it worked like a pendulum  and on te rubbish it would cause it to shake.     I did use it to pull bundles of stickers out.        I actually used it before the wheels were put on it to  move timber.    Weve  put the wheels on it a few times.   THe old 518 cutter I actually sheared a load of logs with it befor its conversion.    Its actually a better more comfortable machine to run as you dont have to look for the tail.    Cat actually sold 518s as a landfill compactor.       Clark/Michigan also offered one of the first rubbish compactors was a  Skidder conversion. 

Thank You Sponsors!