iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing project 2020

Started by customsawyer, January 16, 2020, 08:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

GAB

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 26, 2020, 10:00:17 AM
Quote from: GAB on January 26, 2020, 09:41:29 AMHow about sawing a 12' long octogonal porch post that has 12" across the bottom flats and 6" across the top flats.
Seems like I done that once by accident on a good log.   :D
Got any pictures you would care to share.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

Sounds like somebody forgot to lower a rear toeboard. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

123maxbars

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 26, 2020, 10:44:20 AM
good one WV,  ;D
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: nativewolf on January 26, 2020, 08:01:05 AMre #4: I say you bring a 16' 30" walnut and let a newbie saw it at 3/4" thickness and deadstack it right in front of him....in the sun, no wax on the ends, then restack with 1 4x4 sticker every 8 ' and at least 3' from the ends (1 sticker per layer for those having trouble following). When sawing tilt the large end up another 1',  so the boards are have as much pith and sapwood as possible...every board should have some pith.  He'll start crying and give in before you get halfway the restack :D.  Hey if you are going to torture the man do it right- be merciless.
One problem with having a lot of good friends is that they know where you 'hot buttons' are. I don't think anybody could withstand this. Heck, I'm pretty new and I don't think I could even do it. :D
 Doggone, I wish I could make this event.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Sixacresand

There should be shock collar on a off bearer when I leave a toeboard up.  :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

Would that be considered self - flagellation for those of us who saw alone most of the time? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DbltreeBelgians

Count DblTreeBelgians in. This will be a first for us.  8)

If I'm not mistaken from best I can tell 

Brent & Jill make 54 & 55

Please correct if need be.

Brent 

dbmoran

Count us in

Blaine 56
Monica 57

We will bring some smoked boudin.

Andries

Quote from: customsawyer on January 26, 2020, 08:16:48 AM. . . . As to the sawing demo. I'm leaning towards sawing some walnut and showing the importance of minimal sap wood. Also have some curly maple that I need to saw some 4/4, 6/4 and 9/4 out of.
@customsawyer Jake, look at all the "likes" on that reply!
(I only hit the button six times. :D )
As to the walnut, it seems the project has all the experts attending, on milling to optimize the value of the lumber. Yellowhammer and Doc Wengert could also tell us about kiln drying, with and without steaming. Steaming will change sapwood to the same colour as the heartwood, right?  . . . but does it change the nature of the sapwood so that it's not considered a defect?
There seems to be two markets for dried walnut; steamed and not steamed.
I'll bet a lot of people would be interested in the pros and cons.
Besides, selling a bunch of "highly valuable walnut" should help out in cost recovery for The Project.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WDH

I particularly like the Walnut idea ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Steaming walnut can be included as an advanced topic for sure.  I will bring handouts to cover the topics requested, so let me know what "advanced topics" you would like to hear about.  Looks like I am #58...ooops, Jake remembered for me already, so I am #2.

I have downsized to a 24' motor home (class C) with solar cells if I cannot plug in.

One possible sawing suggestion is how to saw a smaller log, maybe 12-14" quickly to avoid making it a non-profit log.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

I also agree it would be great opportunity to cover sawing for very flat grade lumber (sawing for crook instead of bow) as opposed to sawing for framing lumber (sawing for bow instead of crook).  Proper cant rotation, identification of the stress, staying out of the pith, etc.  Walnut or cherry logs would work great for that.

For that matter, sawing for "edge" walnut or sapwood face walnut, one of our better sellers. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

YellowHammer

If people desire, I could take a little time to demonstrate a few of our special sticker stacking techniques that we have adopted which greatly reduce stack bow and sympathetic warp, and even our live edge slab sticking techniques to produce flatter slabs.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

SOLAR DRYING...if there is interest by a few people, we can have an informal "Cracker Barrel" discussion (questions, answers, sharing) about solar drying when there is a break or open time, maybe during Friday's lunch we could sit together, or before dinner.

Gene
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

chet

Da Yoopers in, Chet makes 59
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Andries

@chet is that you?
Haven't seen you since the PigRoast of 2015!

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

chet

Yup,  lookin' forward ta warm weather, green grass, and a cold Bud with good friends.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

stanwelch

Gene,  I would be interested in talking about solar drying

Stan
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

GAB

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 26, 2020, 01:29:55 PM
There should be shock collar on a off bearer when I leave a toeboard up.  :D
I know it would be more electronics, however I feel there needs to be 2 idiot lights on the control panel that are lit if the toeboard rollers are not all the way down.  It would not be totally idiot proof but it might reduce the number of long wedges.
GAB 

WV Sawmiller

Okay - count me and tentatively Becky in for the shindig -

60 - WV Sawmiller        Howard      
61 - Mrs WV Sawmiller    Becky

Weather permitting I can try to plan on bringing enough catfish to feed the multitude Friday night if anyone is interested. I'll bring my fish cooker but if anyone else has one they can bring we can speed the cooking up. Somebody else (Danny?) will have to cook the hushpuppies if anybody wants them.
Howard Green

scsmith42

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 27, 2020, 09:42:28 AM
I also agree it would be great opportunity to cover sawing for very flat grade lumber (sawing for crook instead of bow) as opposed to sawing for framing lumber (sawing for bow instead of crook).  Proper cant rotation, identification of the stress, staying out of the pith, etc.  Walnut or cherry logs would work great for that.

For that matter, sawing for "edge" walnut or sapwood face walnut, one of our better sellers.
Well, since no one liked my rift sawing suggestion (response #33), in addition to the suggestions above, following up on Roberts suggestion above what a discussion about proper ways to mill logs with off center piths?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

joman

Count me in.     
Joe#62

89 Woodmizer LT40HD
Morgan LittleChamp Edger

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Advanced topics, so far...please suggest more

AIR FLOW including sticker size, best velocity, blocking leaks
SOLAR DRYING, probably mostly Q&A...submit questions in advance if possible
WALNUT STEAMING, etc.
KILN SCHEDULE OPERATION TIPS including start up, equalizing
EFFECT OF SAWING ON DRYING including warp
THE COST OF DRYING...AIR, KILN
THICK OAK, over 8/4
WARP CONTROL

DH to be covered by Stan from NYLE and YellowHammer from Alabama

Mossy Chariot

An updated attendees list:

No.HandleNameLocation
1CustomsawyerJakeRentzGA
2GeneWengert-WoodDocGeneBishop GA
3GeneWengert-WoodDocBarbaraBishop GA
4K-guyStanBangorME
5K-guywifeBangorME
6Southside WilsonsVA
7petefrombearswampPeteFinger LakesNY
8petefrombearswampLindaFinger LakesNY
9caveman LakelandFL
10cavemanJmooreLakelandFL
11Andries OakbankManitoba
12AndriesTeeaOakbankManitoba
13Sawyer Ted GermantonNC
14Sawyer TedDoc EmilyGermantonNC
15DR_BuckDaveFarmvilleVA
16doc HendersonBryanHutchinsonKS
17doc HendersonGeorgiaHutchinsonKS
18nativewolf1DelaplaneVA
19nativewolf2DelaplaneVA
20nativewolf3DelaplaneVA
21NomadBillJacksonvilleFL
22sawwood Independence MO
23Timfuller1  
24Timfuller2  
25YellowHammerRobertNew MarketAL
26YellowHammerMarthaNew MarketAL
27SliderAlSouthGA
28Slider - CookVickiSouthGA
29DeeseFrankGradyAL
30scsmith42ScottNew HillNC
31bushhog920 MontgomeryAL
32flatrock58 CarroltonGA
33flatrock58 - friendMikeCarroltonGA
34SixacresandJohnGordon GA
35Sixacresand - 2NancyGordon GA
36copperhead10DeanMorgantonNC
37copperhead10LynnMorgantonNC
38Mfrost459MikeWinstonGA
39Mfrost459ConnieWinstonGA
40Mossy ChariotTonyKnoxvilleTN
41123maxbarsNathanKingsportTN
42DanGDan ChattahoocheeFL
43Poquo PoquosonVA
44Lawg Dawg JeffersonSC
45Tom the SawyerTomEudoraKS
46Tom the SawyerJillaneEudoraKS
47jtmccallumJohnMidlandMI
48terrifictimbersllcDennisMystic CT
49terrifictimbersllc2Mystic CT
50Poston WideheadGoat (David)Rock HillSC
51Poston WideheadKirkRock HillSC
52stanwelchStanColdwaterMI
53JeffJeffHarrisonMI
54WDHDannyPerryGA
55DbltreeBelgiansBrentN.W/OH
56DbltreeBelgiansJill N.W/OH
57dbmoranBlaineCentralLA 
58dbmoranMonicaCentralLA 
59chetChetda YoopersMI
60WV SawmillerHowardNew HillNC
61WV SawmillerBeckyNew HillNC
62jomanJoeOld TownFL

I threw Danny in at number 54, knowing he would be there but not seeing a post to that effect.
Please feel free to PM me with any needed changes to the list.
8) 8)

Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

Thank You Sponsors!