iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leverage

Started by Fla._Deadheader, July 29, 2009, 05:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Need to press a shaft out of a device I have.

Without posting all the formula equations, I would like direct number answers.

I have GOOD SOLID HARD 2" X 5" X 20' long beams.

If I make a bracket, and attach the beam about, so the bottom of the EDGE of the beam, is approx. 10" above another device, to set the shaft into, How much pressing force could I exert on the shaft, if the shaft is at about the 12" mark, from the affixing bracket where the beam is fastened ???

Computer won't allow me to show a drawing or anything.

Just imagine the 2" way, to exert the most force, by pushing down on the end of the 20' beam, so it contacts the shaft at 12" from the leverage point (Bolt).

Clear as mud ???  ::) ::) ::) ;D

NO, there is NOT a hydraulic press in my part of CR. This is a 2 part need, no more.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Sprucegum

If I remember right  ::) its a direct ratio ; if its 10" to the load from the pivot and 100" to the force(you) you increase your force by 100/10=10 times. If you weigh 200 pounds thats 1 ton of force.

20' =240"/12"= 20 times the force.
If you still weigh 200 pounds you get 4000 ponds of force! A little bounce goes a long way  :o

LeeB

I say no need for all the figures. Try it, if it don't go, get a bigger hammer. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

Know how to do it with the hammer, but, the shaft is soft. Ruined the last one, so, NEED to do this one right.

MIGHT need 20 tons of pressure. One never knows  ::) ::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

LeeB

Can you rig a press using a bottle jack, or maybe a screw type press? Can you apply any heat? What is the diameter of the shaft?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Fla._Deadheader

My bottle jack is just 5 ton rated.  I have some 1" all thread, but, all the nuts are welded onto the band mill I am building  ::) ::)

Working down here, is NOTHING like having the shop, in Florida. We had it stocked with all KINDS of spare stuff. Even had the press that would do this.  ::) ::) ::)

Shaft is under ¾" dia.  As said, a hammer will actually spread the dia of the shaft, while spreading the top, even with the nut flush on top. ???  smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

FDH, I would think you could exert more force with that bottle jack than you could ever do with that wooden beam.  Can you come up with any sort of steel beam, like a piece of an old truck frame?  If you place your workpiece between the fulcrum and the jack, wouldn't you multiply the force on the workpiece?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

That's what I thought I 'splained  ::) ::) ;D

The beam would be mounted at the very end, a bolt to a post, maybe. Then, place the shaft at whatever height I can raise the other end of the beam, 12" from the post ??

Then, I have direct force from the end of the 20' beam, to within 12" of the end where the shaft will be placed ???

It would not work, placing the shaft on the other side of the fulcrum, because there would be an arc of the free end of the beam, and the shaft would never remain upright ??

I have never been good at 'splainin stuff ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

LeeB

I think what Dan is say is to use the jack in combo with the beam. That way you turn your 5 tons into 100 tons. even if you only had 5 ft 0n the lever end of the fulcrom with 1 ft on the lift end it would still give you 20 tons. Thats a lot of psi.

Fla._Deadheader

Guess I'm just thick  ::) ::)  The jack only has 6" of travel ???  Would I not need to find a way to hold down the end of the beam, before using the jack ???

There's a LOT of fog here, this morning ::) ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

LeeB

Any way possible to post a picture of the assembly and the shaft you are trying to press out? How are you planning to hold it all stable woth your beam plan?

DanG

Quote from: LeeB on July 30, 2009, 10:56:21 AM
I think what Dan is say is to use the jack in combo with the beam. That way you turn your 5 tons into 100 tons. even if you only had 5 ft 0n the lever end of the fulcrom with 1 ft on the lift end it would still give you 20 tons. Thats a lot of psi.

That's sorta what i was thinking, but I was picturing a beam about 2 feet long and the workpiece a few inches from the fulcrum.  You ain't gotta push it all the way out in one stroke, do ya?

FDH, I've concluded that you're in the wrong business.  You ought to be importing tools! ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Computer is screwed up, so, no photo.

Dan, The shaft only has to go about 1½" and it will fall out. It is slightly tapered.

Just figured to bore a hole enough to hold the end of the shaft. Other end, the same, only all the way through, so the shaft will fall out. All I need is the original oomph, to get it going.
   First, it is ridiculed;

LeeB

If it's slightly tapered then heat will help if you can get it to it. And yes, Dan and I are on the same  track. If you can figure a way to hold it all down, I thing your 5t bottle jack will do the trick. I use way less than that to pull bearings, seats, races and all manner of stuff hear at work.

Fla._Deadheader

The pieces to take off the shaft are slightly "Crimped". It takes a BUNCH of pressure to start the shaft moving.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Slowly scrape your right foot across the ground and tap your left toes two times on every scrape while waving your hands slowly in the air.  Close your eyes to a squint, look up and repeat "oooolah bulah magoolah obamanation la rev urunt right.  goochee goochee coochee."  

It'll fall out of there on its own, or not.

Teri

:D :D :D :D :D :D

now thats down right funny!

bd354

DANG IT TOM!! Now I gotta get a new keyboard!

farmboy1tn

Meadows Miller

Gday

You should get plenty of leaverage using the Dang method Mate

;) :D :D :D :D Tom usually it works this way for me mate   ;)
it starts with trying to get the part  out then ends in errrrhmmahhhbloodyhellpeica@#*&#ca@p and goes along with its own dance not disimmilar to yours just quicker with alittle more hand movements and ends with the ting of somthing gettn hit with whatevers close handy  ;)  :D :D
You can see why i have a mechanic for the complicted things  ;) Dial tones follwed but Frank you better get out here and look at a little problem ive got Mate  ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Hilltop366

That beam is havin to be some strong!!

Think tie rod like on a truck... you know one guy (usually the metabolically challenged one) leaning on the big lever the other with a big hammer , and some other heavy chunk of steel resting on the part that is holding the part you want to move. that is the best I can describe it seein how it seems to be kind of top secret that no names of anything was mentioned that might help describe what it is were working on, ::) but I hope you get it fixed.

Hilltop366

Did you have any sucess ?

SwampDonkey

Tom, don't forget the bean rattle along with that chant.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Slabs

Quote from: Tom on July 30, 2009, 06:30:58 PM
Slowly scrape your right foot across the ground and tap your left toes two times on every scrape while waving your hands slowly in the air.  Close your eyes to a squint, look up and repeat "oooolah bulah magoolah obamanation la rev urunt right.  goochee goochee coochee."  

It'll fall out of there on its own, or not.

Didn't know we had a witch doctor on the forum.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!