iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A circle sawmill journey...

Started by SPD748, May 09, 2012, 07:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dblair

what I found moving it slow , I move a screw slow, it will get loaded up but the saw is only cutting about 30 percent of the time and it will unload easily . each lug will carry more if it's running slow and wear is cut significantly .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

SPD748

Brian,

The previous owner of my mill ran the chain at 253 feet per minute or 4.2 feet per second. This figure is based on the gear reduction of the over head open gearbox that came with the mill. I'm looking at about a 30% reduction in speed with my current setup. I found an 8 tooth sprocket which will reduce the chain speed even more if needed. I totally agree with the principle of slower being better for this application.

-lee

Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

SPD748

Here's a drawing of my idea so far. 

I hope you guys can see/read the image. The jpeg conversion doesn't do so well sometimes.

-lee

Serving Since 2002

dblair

that's like most of them I've seen , ought to work nice . there is one exception to that, most are just made out of wood including the posts. nice
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Seaman

This thread bears the honor of making my brain hurt more often any other thread!
Love it though, maybe I will git smarter!
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Magicman

It has been interesting following the journey, even though about circle sawmills....I know nothing.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

With mills theirs theory, theirs calculations, but you don't really know til you try something,use what you have and tweek to perfection after some use. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ddcuning

Looking good Lee. Being an engineer....I am a confessing nerd and believe math is my friend!

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

mikeb1079

lee, are you sure that you shouldn't apply at nasa or perhaps mit?

just sayin.... :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

SPD748

Quote from: mikeb1079 on February 08, 2013, 10:01:31 PM
lee, are you sure that you shouldn't apply at nasa or perhaps mit?

just sayin.... :)

Ha. I'm not sure NASA or MIT would have me.  :)

-lee

Serving Since 2002

drobertson

Lee, hats of to you!  very nice work! and a great way to make a pulley, I reckon you don't have a lathe?  If not, there is always a way to get things done on the mill,  nice looking welds too!    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SPD748

I just noticed that my 'journey' has reached 40,000 views :o  Holy smoke! I never thought it would be so popular. I am humbled to know that so many have taken time to follow our progress. My Dad and I are so grateful for the following and the knowledge that we've learned along the way from our fellow forum members.

We finished the drag chain support today. Here are a few pictures of the day's work. 

... and the top 

I'm not sure how high the lower idler needs to be so I drilled and tapped a pattern of holes to make the bearings adjustable in height. You can see the hole pattern in this picture 

The small tabs that stick out from the lower plate in the first picture are to locate a 1 x 8 white oak board which will (I hope) act as a wear strip between the drag chain and the concrete pad. There are two square plates (one is visible in the third and fourth pictures) that will be a mount for a guard made from lumber. This mount will serve to cover the chain so that it couldn't come into contact with someone that wonders a little too close.

That's all for today guys. Again, thanks for the loyal following and stay tuned for more!

-lee

Serving Since 2002

lyle niemi

That looks a little better then my 4x4s and lag screws..lol

Tim Lea

Lee, luv the pics and the story behind them. Keep up the good work cann't wait to see more..

customsawyer

I don't think I am going to follow this thread anymore. I had to build myself a welding table today for inside my shop. My welds and craftsmanship are no where in the same vicinity as yours, so you are making me  look bad in my own shop and I can't have that. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

york

Well,Jake it`s not easy for me to look at his welds either-got to admit his welds are some of the best,i have ever seen....

albert
Albert

bandmiller2

DanG it Lee your raising the bar too high. Frank C.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm glad you found some logs. At least Boiling Springs is really not that far away.
It's all coming together Lee......will not be long now!  smiley_chop

748-In Service.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SPD748

Good evening all,

As David said, I did find a source of logs today. I think it'll be a good start.

While I was out and about, I picked up the dial face for my carriage scale. I kind of let the cat out of the bag to David the other day. I also had to let Jeff in on the secret as I needed his permission to use the Forestry Forum's logo.

As stated in a previous post, my mill belonged to a very good friend of both my Dad and I, J.O. Gettys. Sadly, J.O. passed in 2011. From the very beginning, I knew that I had to do everything possible to make this mill shine! I struggled for some time on how to dedicate the mill back to his memory as well as thank all of you guys for the inspiration you've provided along the way. Here's what I came up with. I hope you guys approve.   

I'm sorry that there wasn't enough room for every member's name as I have gotten so much information from each of you both directly and indirectly. I'm going to cut the mounting holes in the vinyl and put a couple of coats of clear over the entire thing before mounting it on the carriage. My Dad hasn't seen it yet. I'm hoping to get it finished and mounted before he comes over again.

-lee

Serving Since 2002

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I finally got my name on something other than a search warrant.  :D

That's very humbling Lee. As if your Dad is not proud of you already....this will put icing on his cake.
I know it does mine. Your journey has been and still is at the top of my list. Good-Luck!

J.O. sees it now......I really believe that.

Thanks Buddy. :)  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

I'am honored Lee.That was a good jesture for your old friend too.I hope this story will continue, may even be a best seller. Frank C.

customsawyer

Now I have been hurt twice since I was left out.  :D :D :D
All jokes aside that is a great tribute to you, the forum, and your family.  8) 8) 8)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

lyle niemi

Thanx a million Lee! Didnt think I was doing that much to deserve my name on your mill.  Now I feel important 8)

SPD748

I'm glad you guys approve. A special thanks goes out to Jeff for sending me a high res image of the logo! I think it will look great on the mill.

I have a cold today so I'm cooped up in the house :(. With nothing else to do I started thinking...

My edger is an older Miner with 14" insert tooth saws. The arbor is 1 15/16" (1.9375") which is worn to 1.915" in the center. I have a length of 1144 shaft that I'll make a new arbor from. I'll also need a new movable saw collar as the one I have is worn as well. The question occurred to me; Should I replace the insert tooth saws with strobe saws or go back with the inserts? If its going to be inserts, should I run carbide or steel bits?

I suppose the question is: Are strobe saws better than insert tooth saws?

-lee

Serving Since 2002

Thank You Sponsors!