iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American Model 1

Started by Whistlepig, February 04, 2020, 06:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whistlepig

Somewhat new here. I made an account a while back but never posted. Figured I would share some photos of my dads American 1. He got this about 25 years ago and he and my grandfather spent a year or so putting it back together. I don't think he paid much, in fact it may have been given to him free to be hauled away. It was pretty much a basket case. He rebuild the carriage out of timbers sawn on a neighbors Frick in our basement when I was a kid. They used an old house trailer frame cut down and rewelded for the carriage to run on. I believe they spent about $500 on a used diesel engine and the rest was sweat. Diesel power unit is a 4 cyl isuzu from a wood chipper. The sawdust chain is cobbled together from old Case cornpicker parts. Paint has faded some since it was fresh and I was 5 years old. Comments welcome.

We saw when we have logs. Usually ends up probably 20 times a year. The lumber turns into farm buildings and furniture for his woodworking hobby mostly. 

WV Sawmiller

I'm impressed. Thanks for posting. I'd love to see a video of it in operation if you get a chance to post one. 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moodnacreek

It would be interesting to know how many no. 1 Americans where built. The first mill I helped on was this model with the friction feed. It is a good thing yours is belt. Around here there where several of these Americans. We are less than 1 hour from N.J. so this was American territory. However American, like Frick covered a bigger territory than I once thought. It is rare to find somebody putting an old mill back to work today. It is for people who like to work and produce and these the ones I look up to. I am glad you kept your fathers sawmill. Thanks for posting.

Whistlepig

This one made its way down to southern Virginia somehow. Most other mills I know of around here are Frick Mills. There are some Amish communities around that I believe still saw with these, but we do much more than anybody else I know of with a mill like this. 

As for the video - I have some to post, but do I have to post it to youtube first and then share a link or can I post it directly on here?

47sawdust

Nice set-up.Videos are posted to youtube first,then cut and paste to the forum.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!