iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB

Howard:
I frequently hear of retired individuals being bored in retirement.  I thought that might be a way of helping avoid that fate for Josh and possibly elevate him to the best sellers list.
Oh-Well,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

It might or it might be just enough to push him over the edge. They already drive on the wrong side of the road down there - no telling what other quirks they may have we are not aware of. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

Wednesday we got the main metal on the steep roof we were doing. I made a pair of ridge stools that night so we could sit over the ridge and work the ridgecap, my legs don't have the pinch to straddle the ridge that long anymore. Yesterday morning the rain was already here so we decided to fix my partners woods truck. I towed it up close to the garage and then we winched it up. We spent the day crawling over it and redoing wiring and by day's end it fired up. He pulled forward and shut down, I unhooked the cable and we reeled it back in, which killed the old battery. He was breaking out the charger and I was tidying up. We had been standing on the ridge stools and one was caught under a tire a little bit, (here's your sign!). I snatched it out without thinking. Yup, it had been the chock, and the truck starts down the drive. I guess happily my little ranger was behind it. It knocked it backwards about 5' with an authoritative whump about the time he got to his brake and I wandered around back expecting to see a mess. I think I must have wasted some good karma, time to refill the bank :D. His hitch must have hit my recovery hook. Life's little lessons; Make sure things are as assumed before pulling anything that might be the chock.

sawguy21

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 25, 2020, 09:58:51 AM
  It might or it might be just enough to push him over the edge. They already drive on the wrong side of the road down there - no telling what other quirks they may have we are not aware of. :D
Actually our ancestors got it right using the left side of the road, we just had to be different. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jim_Rogers

One of the many lumber products I make is a tree stake. It is 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 8' long for holding newly planted saplings in place until the root ball take hold.
I usually make several hundred of these each year for a landscaping business that plants a lot of new saplings.
To point these tree stakes I bought a pointer machine from Hud-Son many years ago:

After the first engine broke down I got another one from a local power equipment shop. A nice Honda engine.

I have my yearly order to do and I have cut out over 100 stakes to allow for some breakage.
Now to point the lot.

Well, that engine hadn't been started for a while, most likely a year. But it seemed ok and with plenty of gas, I started pulling the starter cord.

Nothing. Cleaned the air filter, mouse nest out, and checked the fuel line to make sure I had the shut off valve in the right position to allow the gas to flow. Which I did.
Pull some more.
Nothing.
Full choke and full throttle, nothing.

Well, then if finally dawned on marble head, this engine had an on off switch. Switch of course was off.
On, second pull; started right up.

Worked up a sweat for nothing.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Crusarius

I have gotten spoiled with my chainsaw always reverting to the on position. I always forget to switch my weedeater back on.

breederman

I do that every time I start .y wood splitter.
Together we got this !

dudders

I only have one motor with an off switch like that - catches me out every time.  Lots of cussing and then a red face.

moosehunter

At work we have a few honda engines. We always say " if it don't start on the second pull you didn't switch it on"
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Stephen1

I bought a new weed eater and went with the next model up as it had the revert to "on" kill switch
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ljohnsaw

I was trying to fire up my big Onan generator.  Has a start/stop switch.  Pressed the start, the choke kick in and it cranks, and cranks, and cranks.  Won't start.  I try flipping the choke, still won't go.  Its like its not getting any fuel.  Tank is full.  I look around, forgot to open the gas up. Dooh!  Start right up when it has gas!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sawguy21

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, they do run better on gas than on air.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

I am not even going to try and explain how I managed to do this not on purpose.  Wedged in there nice and tight.  Big too, 16 feet long and over 20" on small end.  This one snatched the end of the mill over about 18" so I had to replace and re-level the mill which was a total pain.  Dumb.

The moral of this story is "He who tries to mill big logs without a very stout piece of support equipment with forks had better Not be Dumb."
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawguy21

I bet that brought you back to reality.

caveman

Danny, It happens.  John and I are probably going to strap the rear end of our mill to the mill shed (like Jake does) to  minimize the movement.  Sometimes, after dumping a pile of logs on the deck, our mill will have moved several inches due to being bumped by rolling logs.  We have not wedged one like that but the weekend is still young.  The tide seems to finally be going out here but we are due for more rain tomorrow.  Looks like Muck boots are wardrobe items for tomorrow.
Caveman

Southside

The way my mill sits the problem is opposite of Jakes so I put a solid block down at the bottom of the front foot and kept it from dancing around, basically blocked it out rather than tied it in.  Sometimes just the head traveling back and forth would make her move.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Kyle and Jim,

Going to have to strap her down like Jake did on his LT70 so she does not try to run off on me again. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

Friskie dog:   You stepped away from the mill and he reared up and put his paws on the first and third hydraulic levers. :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

firefighter ontheside

Danny, that sure is a predicament you have there.  Thats one of the reasons I have not bought an extension for my mill.  If I did, then I would be tempted to try and mill 16' logs.  Then I would need a bigger tractor.....well its a never ending story.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

customsawyer

Danny it's better if you do that with a audience. That way when you are trying to figure out how you are getting out of the situation you can read the looks on their faces to see if you're doing it right. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

handhewn

I was milling the nicest black oak log I had ever milled (forty two inch dia.) using my 60" circular saw. When I cut my first clear 1"x24" x 8' board, I got buck fever and mad a bad move in my efforts to immediately run up and look at this beautiful piece of wood. I backed the carriage up to the stop position, swinging my head left as the carriage came to a stop. At same time I was leaning my head out past the safety glass. I do not normally cut 24" wide boards. I was not expecting that 24" wide board to fall over the 12" tall sharks fin onto the blade as was turning my head left. That heavy 60" circular saw with a GM diesel 671 pushing it didn't even flinch as that blade grabbed the board and skimmed it across the top of my head. The board continued spinning through space to the community building across the road. That was first thing in the morning. I was back in school by noon. Ran the mill only once since then 25 or so years ago. But, I'm setting the old girl up again.

firefighter ontheside

I'd like to see it, but lets not shoot any more large slabs sailing.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

:o You are lucky to be here to tell us about it!
:o :o :o

Thank You Sponsors!