iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Getting a bar pinched is part of the job. If you don't expect to have that happen from time to time, you just aren't realistic. I am actually surprised it didn't happen more than once today with all the odd cutting I was doing. As for the advil, never did take any until I got in the house at the end of the day. Too little, too late. I am about to take my third dose now at 2am. Snow coming in soon. I'd better get to bed so i can get up and plow at 5am. Probably no cutting tomorrow.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Well, did it again today.  Didn't raise blade high enough to clear the cant. Drag back and bang.  No damage to blade this time though.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

offrink

I was sawing and got about 5" in and realized I was about 2" to deep and banged the housing around the band wheels on a cut off branch.  Tried to back out and the whole band popped off. Wasn't even thinking when I did it. 

What is the best way to get a band out?

Andries

Quote from: offrink on March 11, 2019, 06:44:11 PM. . . . What is the best way to get a band out?
In one piece or five?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

I keep a couple of felling wedges and a small ax or hammer and if I have to back the band out I drive the wedge in to give me more clearance. Unfortunately it is usually easier to free a band 5' into the cut than one that is stuck 5" in. If I can't get it out with the wedges you may have to cut off the board/flitch/slab you were cutting with a chainsaw or handsaw. This is often a hard spot to reach due to the head position in these circumstances. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yes, tap wedge(s) in to raise the board and then use a cutoff section of a broken blade to clear the sawdust.

Not pretty but it does the job.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

If you have to take a blade out in pieces, or if it is damaged beyond repair, you can break it into pieces without tools by folding a section tight, and it will break.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Quote from: Magicman on March 11, 2019, 07:24:27 PM

Not pretty but it does the job.  ;D
nice idea MM for a tool, cannot believe you do not have nice maple handles riveted to that blade.  nice floor, is that "grit grout!)lol
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I've seen you post the broken band to remove sawdust before but why? I have not noticed the sawdust creating a problem to pull the blade back. Then again, I have not tried removing the sawdust first. Do you find it binds or prevents the movement of the band? You must or you would not be removing the sawdust. ???
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: doc henderson on March 11, 2019, 07:32:07 PMcannot believe you do not have nice maple handles riveted to that blade

The Plasti-Dip handle works just fine Doc. 

It's the same thing that I use on the ends of all of my Logrite tools to repair/prevent damage to the rubber grip.

Yes WV, I have had many occasions where I was deep into the cut and wedges alone would not raise the board/cant enough to allow me to back out without removing the sawdust.  I shouldn't say that I couldn't, but that removing the sawdust certainly made it easier.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

brilliant!  I thought it was electrical tape in the other pic.  I was just kidden ya.  all your repairs are first class, lots of good ideas.

firefighter ontheside

I like the handheld piece of blade.  I could make one from the blade I messed up, but then my son would probably get ahold of it and use it as a sword.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Some day in the future when lasers are being used to cut boards from standing trees an archaeologist will find that tool and hang it in a museum with some story about how we used those to saw lumber with!!  :D 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

crowhill

What happens to our mind in the cold. The other day at 17* and gusty at times I decided to go cut some ewp. I usually take two saws cause if I have only one I'll get it pinched up! Well got the big saw pinched bucking off the top. Grabbed my smaller limbing saw, it needed gas n oil and I was getting cold. Filled it with gas and was putting in the bar n chain oil. Wait! You gotta be kidding me! I've been running chain saw for 58 years and pulled a first. Put gas in oiler n oil in the gas tank! I didn't try starting it thinking the oil was too cold to fire up! I drained it into a bucket I had on the tractor, refilled and went back to work. Still scratching my head on that one!!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Banjo picker

I'm only half that bad.  I caught it when I put the oil in the gas.  I wouldn't have told, except you already did.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

crowhill

I haven't told anybody around here! 🤫
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Magicman

A few weeks ago I filled my gas tank with oil but noticed my mistake before I put the cap on.  Later I forgot to put the oil cap on and noticed it when.......

Banjo picker

The lids on my ms460 are good at that, if you get in a hurry and dont check it.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on March 11, 2019, 10:33:12 PM
A few weeks ago I filled my gas tank with oil but noticed my mistake before I put the cap on.  Later I forgot to put the oil cap on and noticed it when.......
You know all you guys think what you did was REALLY dumb, I know I would. BUT, I can tell you that I have always been so concerned about making this same error that I Never pour gas in the hole until I look down it and make sure that this is 'the hole that the gas goes in'. I don't know why, but I NEVER trust myself, and I have never (yet) made that mistake, and BOY do I know how the cold can make a sane solid man into and idiot for just a moment or two. I expect my turn will come someday too, I just haven't lived long enough to make that mistake...yet.
 I get the feeling this thread may need a "did something dumb today 219, 2020, 2021, etc." because if you haven't done something dumb, you ain't doing much.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

There's thems that screw up and thems that  :-X

terrifictimbersllc

Read this thread again and still haven't learned anything. :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

You shoulda learned   smiley_book2_page  what you shouldna did.  smiley_dizzy 

terrifictimbersllc

I did, but it doesn't help me. :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Me either.  Just bumble along and (try to) get up when I fall.  ::)

Banjo picker

Just reading about something usually don't help.  You have to experience it.  So after the saw cap came off, twice I now double check to make sue it's not going to oil my leg for me..  Sometime It takes a couple lessons.  If they are good enough lessons ,once is usually enough, like when I got my head busted for not wearing a hard hat when falling a tree.  I have never cut one since without one on.  Banjo

Thank You Sponsors!