iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodemont

End of the day went to refill the chainsaw with fuel.  Opened the cap and then found I was out of fuel mix.  Filled the gallon container with fresh gas  and then proceeded to pour the small container of mix into the saw rather than the gallon of gas.  Let the saw drain overnight but still ran rough for next tank.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Andries

Quote from: crowhill on March 11, 2019, 10:05:35 PM
. . . What happens to our mind in the cold. . . 
At - 35*F, you could imagine the knuckle headed moves I've made.
I try not to make the same boneheaded maneuvers more than six times in a row. 

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

firefighter ontheside

That canoe may not float after that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

OHBucknut

New mill owner here and I have read on here many times that people hit the log rest. 

I was like yea I can see it happening but it shouldn't be easy to do. I mean you look at the log before each cut.... turns out I was WAY WRONG. I hit the log rests on my third log. Lol what a rookie mistake.

I'm sure it's all depending on everything but can a band that hit the metal be resharpened ? Does it take the set out of the band? 

... very first day...at least I got it outta the way early

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: OHBucknut on March 12, 2019, 09:06:11 PMI mean you look at the log before each cut.... turns out I was WAY WRONG. I hit the log rests on my third log. 
Hahahahahahaha!  :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
 I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you. We all say "Nah, won't happen to me!" and yet, yeah, it does. Many reasons why: watching something else, too cold out and lost concentration, distracted by the tailgunner, pretty girl watching, you name it. There are as many reasons as there are log dogs.
 Welcome to the club, your member number is 2,189, 265.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

OHBucknut, I hit a log support the first time I ran the mill.  I cut halfway then it before I realized.  Luckily it was just at the very end.  Just kissing the thing probably ok.  Cutting halfway thru, probably fatal to the blade.
I just read your info on your profile page.  Be careful milking Lumber.  You can get splinters.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Quote from: OHBucknut on March 12, 2019, 09:06:11 PMat least I got it outta the way early

Trust me you didn't - it keeps coming back when you least expect it!!  There are two types of sawyers, those who try to saw off a piece of their mill, and those who LIE about not doing so...;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

OHBucknut

Firefighter

Thanks for the heads up on the splinters. I since quit milking and started milling. Lol

firefighter ontheside

Two dumb things today.  One was totally not my fault.  Somebody ran into the back of my truck while I was stopped behind someone turning left.  Luckily the damage is minor, but still an inconvenience.

The second could have prevented by me.  I was picking up some big black oak logs that someone was giving me.  He was loading the first onto my trailer with a skidder with forks.  Put the log on trsiler and it rolled right across and off other side.  It put a good dent in my trailer fender on the way down.  I should have thought to lay something down to prevent it from rolling.  On the plus side, I got some great logs.  I think I will q saw at least a few of them.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

My trailer fenders looks like pianos fell on them.  Multiple pianos :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moosehunter

I have performed this act twice. The most embarrassing thing it was the same customer about two years apart. While cutting the first slab off; find my first cut hight, engage blade, turn on debarker, engage debarker with the wood as I start through the cut. As I am coming out the other end, move debarker out, switch off the debarker, switch of the auto clutch as soon as the blade clears the log. I got myself out of sync and shut off the auto clutch instead of the debarker. The saw makes an interesting noise when the blade stops before it clears wood.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

doc henderson

I once thought I could put a log on the deck without the log stops up.  The log had a swoop that was up and it rolled off the back of the mill.  bent my trough and broke a few parts of the energy chain.  also deformed my sprinkler pump house lid.  This is starting to feel like a group therapy meeting, and I finally felt comfortable sharing.  Hi, my name is Bryan! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

We're here to help and let you know you're not alone, Bryan.  Does anybody else want to share with the group?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

brianJ

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 23, 2019, 03:06:10 PM
  Does anybody else want to share with the group?

Since you asked.   I put a firewood chunk into the back window of my pickup

doc henderson

Hello Brian!  does that warm or cool the inside of your cab? ::)  it is firewood after all.   :laugh:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

I do some thing dumb most days, but I don't want to talk about it! ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: brianJ on March 23, 2019, 03:32:43 PM
Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 23, 2019, 03:06:10 PM
 Does anybody else want to share with the group?

Since you asked.   I put a firewood chunk into the back window of my pickup
Dang it.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

rjwoelk

Well I did not do this

. But it woke me up at 0600. I reckon he felt pretty dumb. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

I was expecting to see a Swift truck.  :-X  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Ha Ha Ha!!! Truer words were never spoken!!!  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

That's probably pretty alarming to wake up to your truck getting hit.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

rjwoelk

It was a good loud bang when his trailer tires hit his steering tire. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Southside

I had a dry box in a JD Irving parking lot one time that got whacked by a JD Irving driver.  My trailer was sitting there waiting to get loaded with wood shavings - drop and hook - no truck attached.  Irving tried to claim their driver was not at fault and my trailer was....I was like "whaaattt??"
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Obviously, your trailer jumped in front of that truck. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!