iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

This is not forestry related, but I will pass it on anyway.  I took a pack of bagels out of the freezer, not having any in the fridge.  I put one in the microwave to thaw it out, then I put it in the toaster.  Bad idea...don't ever do it.  Made is almost to hard to eat.  I say almost, because Debbie was not here and I didn't want to make anything else.  Hard to believe that as soft as that thing was coming out of the microwave it could turn into a little rock in the toaster.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

rjwoelk

I was parked across from the oops. Had a good view. Yes I am thankful it was not my trailer or truck.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

rjwoelk

So yesterday I went to tighten the straps. Made it 3/4 around the trailer then this happened. Snapped the end off the snipe bar. I landed on my left hip and pinched a couple of fingers. Pretty stiff last night and this morning,  but feel better tonight. 

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Skip

Wow, :o never seen one break like that. Seen cheater pipes fly though . Got 30 stiches in my forehead from one when snap binder kicked back in  Whg. Pitt. steel mill I was loading at  . Went to all ratchet binders was gun shy after that. Glad you're healing up ok.

clww

Quote from: rjwoelk on March 23, 2019, 09:36:58 PM
Well I did not do this

. But it woke me up at 0600. I reckon he felt pretty dumb.
Can not recall how many times I've seen this. Luckily, never happened to my truck, yet...(knocks on wood twice).
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

RichTired

So today was my day to do something dumb.
Well I knew it was going to happen, just didn't know when!
While I was cleaning up around my mill today I found a small cedar log.  So I thought I could get a few 6" x 24" boards out of it to make something one day.  So I fired up the mill and sawed a 6" x 24" cant and began sawing boards.  On the third or fourth board I fed the saw head a little too far past the cant and it found the edge of the bolt holding the roller assembly onto the log side support.   :-[

Glad that is over with, kind of like the first dint or ding in a new truck...

Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Woodpecker52

Nothing like the sound of a band hitting metal to throw all the senses into hay wire mode.  Cut motor?,, Stop band?? pull back?? yikes!!!  Then what damage did I do to the baby!!!  Oh Cr#$ how did I do that?    My favorite is starting the band with the tensioner down (off).
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

hacknchop

I did something last week that I'm still hurting about .The back door at home here has an 8' deck and Rhonda likes to watch the birds in the feeder we put out there and the black squirrels which are new here and kinda taking over were in the feeder , I bolted out the door to chase them away and that's the last thing I remember, till I woke up 1/2 hr later on the floor tried to get up couldn't went back down started vomiting was super dizzy finally crawled to my phone called 911 they showed up helped get me off the floor and to the hospital for the night released me with a heart monitor for couple days which is off now and I'm fine except for headaches which I am not acustomed to.  NOW when I look outside and see black squirrels  in the feeder i look elsewhere.
 Last Friday we were sitting in the house having coffee when my friend Tim jumped up and said look there goes a red fox with a black squirrel in his mouth,now that was nice to see.
Often wrong never indoubt

redbeard

It took 13 years and on my new AC 36  band mill, I grazed the back stop didn't have it all the way down. On a last 1" cut off Deck. 

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Kindlinmaker

I don't know why they make log supports so long.  Every sawyer seems to have trouble with their length at one time or another. I have formally declared war on mine and am working on trimming them to a proper length - one stop and blade at a time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

firefighter ontheside

I'm happy to see some folks have been doing some dumb things without me.  Well, today I did it again.....sort of.  I was cutting a large walnut that maxed out my saw.  I had to keep trimming the side as  I went down for the roller guide to clear.  I ran out of clearance and couldn't go any further.  I needed to back the saw up to cut with the chainsaw for clearance.  I even wedged the beginning of the cut about 3/4", but it didn't help.  When I went to back the saw up off came the band.  Man what a racket.  Dinged one tooth on the blade, so it will go off for sharpening.  New blade and awaY we went to the finish line.  Got some beautiful 23" slabs at least.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Chuck White

When backing the sawhead up, it's a good idea to disengage the blade, ESPECIALLY if the blade is still in the cut!  :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

doc henderson

well I guess I should tell on myself and compliment my son William.  He just graduated Buhler High School and often if he is helping dad, he would rather be with some friends or on line with them.  We went out to get the Walnut tree.  things went well.  saw poison ivy everywhere.  He transported logs to the trailer that sat on the road but had to travel a long narrow drive.  now he did nock over a 10 foot ERC tree not paying attention, but no big harm and a good learning experience.  As we were loading up on the trailer including the skid steer, he noticed that my gooseneck ball had came up out of the receiver and was just setting on the bed of the truck, under the full tongue weight of the trailer.  It had not worked well for many years after I got the truck and the pin would snap shut even just climbing up on the bumper.  so it had been a 2 man job to flip the ball with me holding the linkage and my son turning the ball.  I told my diesel mechanic to check it out, and the caul was dirty and needed lubed.  now it works great, meaning the pin was still locked in the out position.  took about 30 minutes of jacking up the front of the trailer and trying to put it back in.  It had deformed the opening so the only way was to use the weight of the trailer and move forward and back with the truck.  no one harmed. could have done lots or damage to my bed and tailgate had I drove forward.  even worse if had somehow got onto the road.  I am proud that his brain was engaged enough to notice!  It was also good to solve a problem to get us back to town, with him.
ps glad to see no one else has done anything dumb since a month ago!   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I guess me dropping the head off my mill when I changed the lower cam follower 2 weeks ago does not count, huh?

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=106133.0
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

as long as no one gets hurt in the making of these movies.  live and learn, learn and live!   8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

;)Right Doc, I haven't done anything done since April 16. ;)
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

OK, guess it's my turn in the chute: SO I am milling this oddball crotch today and having a heck of a time fitting it in. I shimmed it all over and one of the blade guides got hung up on a shim and couldn't pass it by, so I grabbed a dead blow hammer just to tap the shim to get it to snap over the blade guide. Guess I gt a little too close and the blade grabbed it, sucked it in and jammed up solid.

I missed the steel insert in the head, but let most of the shot out of it. No big deal. I had just reclaimed this mallet from a dumpster at work. No big investment, just feeling pretty dumb. It was hot, I was tired and my brain just farted.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

you should see the guys who's brains try to hold it in, good thing your brain farted.  I think there a still a few good years left in that safety orange dead blow.  refill it with shot and wrap in camo duct tape.  one of your neighbors will prob. offer you 10 bucks for it.  some times saving a few minutes turns into costing a few hours.  not sure when I can get up to see your place, but keep the coffee on just in case!  best regards.

WV Sawmiller

Skip,

I missed your thread about the incident up at Wheeling Pitt. I worked up there for 2 years around 2000 staying in an apartment in Wierton overlooking the Welcome to PA sign then driving to Steubenville and down to Mingo Jct. We replaced their maintenance management system I was the implementer setting things up and teaching the guys to use the product. They were a pretty good bunch of guys to work with as a client.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lxskllr

Dumb stuff? Not milling, but I screwed up laying out piles in a bridge abutment a few weeks ago. I have no idea what happened. Blew the computations, and laid it out. Everyone screws stuff up. If you aren't screwing up you aren't trying, but I try to leave it to the tricky stuff. There was no reason for messing up the piles. Still paying it off a bit at a time; $1.1k in extra concrete to cover it up  :^S

clww

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 26, 2019, 04:33:37 PM
OK, guess it's my turn in the chute: SO I am milling this oddball crotch today and having a heck of a time fitting it in. I shimmed it all over and one of the guide guides got hung up on a shim and couldn't pass it by, so I grabbed a dead blow hammer just to tap the shim to get it to snap over the blade guide. Guess I gt a little too close and the bad grabbed it, sucked it in and jammed up solid.

I missed the steel insert in the head, but let most of the shot out of it. No big deal. I had just reclaimed this mallet for a dumpster at work. No big investment, just feeling pretty dumb. It was hot, I was tired and my brain just farted.

Oh my! Glad that wasn't your hand. Be careful.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Did something dumb this afternoon. Sitting in the ER now.  Been here a couple of hours.  It is better to joint wood rather than your finger.  It is not a pretty sight  :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DbltreeBelgians

Sorry to hear that Danny. Sure hope all turns out ok.

Brent 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WDH on May 26, 2019, 08:38:26 PM
Did something dumb this afternoon. Sitting in the ER now.  Been here a couple of hours.  It is better to joint wood rather than your finger.  It is not a pretty sight  :).  
AH man! That  sucks. :( I hope everything grows back.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!