iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dan_Shade

I hope you heal up quickly, Danny. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

My Dad injured the pinkie and ring finger of his left hand when he slipped and his fingers went into the cutter head of a 6" Craftsman jointer. The guard had been removed. He wound up losing the first two joints on both fingers...

Hope you heal up quick and without complications...

Herb

DWyatt

My high school shop teacher had his safety talk about the jointer every year which involved showing us picture of his uncle's hand and all his fingers were the same length. Sure taught me to edge joint with my fingers curled up rather than sticking straight down. 

Hope you heal up well! When I nicked my thumb on the table saw it took about 3 years to get full feeling back, still hurts more when I hit that thumb on stuff.

GAB

Mr. Hamsley Sir:
When jointing wood it is not necessary to sign your work in BLOOD.
When you get the bill for your little episode you will then realize the high cost of education.
Education, in this case, is why it is best to allow clearance between flesh and bones and rotating high speed steel.
Hope you get well real soon.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

Here I am sitting at the computer and my education is throbbing :).  It won't let me forget, not for a while anyway. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

Quote from: WDH on May 28, 2019, 08:34:20 PM
Here I am sitting at the computer and my education is throbbing :).  It won't let me forget, not for a while anyway.
At least you only got a masters, and not a Phd.    :P   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

You are right.  At least it is only about half the finger tip from the last little knuckle to the finger tip lengthwise, not crosswise.  If you drew a line from the last little knuckle straight to the tip centering the line in the middle of the nail, one side of the line is gone.  The ER Doc called it an avulsion versus a cut since it is more of a ragged tear. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I hates to saw "avulsions".  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Caveman

Ed_K

I'm right there with you, got a tooth pulled last Fri. an it's not doing to good :(.
Ed K

firefighter ontheside

Yes, many woodworking injuries are avulsions.  A word I learned long ago in EMT school.  My biscuit cutter injury was definitely an avulsion.  The sutures to fix it were kind of a star shape to pull everything back together.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

It must be a virtuosic thang.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Danny sorry to hear of the jointer bite!  did your hand slip of was the pinky just wondering too close to the table?

I did a dumb thing about 2 weeks ago.  I was preparing to sand some oak scraps to test some stains.  With the belt sander running and I wondered if the grit was ok for the task.  My left pointer finger moved before the brain engaged to tell my right pointer to release the trigger.  The result was the loss of the entire finger nail on the left pointer!  Fortunately the mental bashing of the dumb move and embarrassment of having to tell others what happened was much worse than the pain!

I currently have a 25 lb lifting restriction because of a cervical fusion and wearing a hard surgical boot because of foot surgery.  When I came upstairs (shop in basement) with blood running down the finger my wife asked what I did now!?!  She went on to say that I was grounded.  She is getting tired of nursing me! 

firefighter ontheside

What did ya have on there 24 grit?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

Most tool injuries including knives and screwdrivers, saws and such are to the non dominant hand since we firmly hold them with our dominant hand.  accidental as well as non accidental trauma
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Doc, here is a plywood injury. It happened to me last summer. It also got my head, back and legs. >:(

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

be careful, we are not as young as we used to be.  
adds new meaning to the work Laminectomy,  (get it laminate/plywood!)  sorry for the med humor.  I only did not like your comment cause I did not want you to think that I liked your injury.   :)

WDH

Sam,

The stupid thing was that I was wearing a glove.  That is a no-no.  The cutterhead caught the glove and pulled my hand down into it.  It I had not been wearing the glove, it would not have happened. 

btulloh

That's a good point about the gloves. Sometimes I wear gloves when running the jointer because of the super sharp corners. Time to rethink that. Maybe cut the fingertips off the gloves.

Good to know you're on the mend with minimal damage.
HM126

firefighter ontheside

Oh man!  Proof that gloves are a bad idea when woodworking.
Well, he's got one glove with no fingertip.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

my dad was a truck driver,  he always had a pair of leather gloves on, or in his L hand, or back pocket.  I swear he would go from on to off 5 times a minute but he did it without even thinking about it.  They can be a limb saver, but nothing loose around moving equipment.  Insurance is cheapest for pilots between 100 hours and 500 hours.  too little experience, or too much confidence are neither a good thing.  We are all one spit second away from weeks of pain and poss. disability.  God Speed Danny.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dang Danny,
Can't leave you alone for 5 minutes.
Hope you heal pretty quick.

Does this mean you'll be using a Capo on your Bass?
Will you be tuning a half step down?
Maybe only 3 strings on your Bass now?

Seriously, I hate this happened. Be careful.....I've come close too.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Southside

Danny - Hope you are feeling better soon, just caught up on this thread, guess that explains why you never texted me back the other day.  I was reading this and hoping you didn't say that you were suddenly distracted by a text when this happened.   :-X

If it makes you feel any better I did manage to shoot myself in the hand with a framing nailer once, while up on an extension ladder to just make the whole experience that much more interesting.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

alan gage

Quote from: WDH on May 29, 2019, 08:25:17 PM
Sam,

The stupid thing was that I was wearing a glove.  That is a no-no.  The cutterhead caught the glove and pulled my hand down into it.  It I had not been wearing the glove, it would not have happened.
Thanks for sharing what caused it. I'm hoping to hold onto 10 full fingers as long as possible and it's good to (hopefully) learn from other's mishaps. Heal well.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Thank You Sponsors!