iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

We get an occasional fired up here mostly in the early spring if it's dry along the railroad tracks, 
or somebody's combine catches on fire in a field in the fall. For those they usually get a couple tractors and discs and make a fire break that way. I just wondered what a Pulaski was?? Not much forest here.

sawguy21

It is an axe with a second blade at right angle, it can be used as an axe or as a hoe. Also referred to as a grub hoe. Very useful for clearing firebreaks and exposing burning roots. Did my apprenticeship on a mop up crew when I was 18, talk about hot, dirty, miserable work but it paid decent with no tax deductions and we got fed well. 150 bucks for ten days work, I thought I had the world by the tail on a downhill pull. :D
When I think about some of the dumb things I got away with I shudder.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

donbj

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 19, 2019, 10:08:09 PM
It is an axe with a second blade at right angle, it can be used as an axe or as a hoe. Also referred to as a grub hoe. Very useful for clearing firebreaks and exposing burning roots. Did my apprenticeship on a mop up crew when I was 18, talk about hot, dirty, miserable work but it paid decent with no tax deductions and we got fed well. 150 bucks for ten days work, I thought I had the world by the tail on a downhill pull. :D
When I think about some of the dumb things I got away with I shudder.
Been there done that, though in a few different situations. But in my opinion it does not fit in the "Did something dumb today" thread. It built character,work ethic,value of a dollar, and most of all "who you are".
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Nebraska

Well I could've search engined the Pulaski thing, but this is a better place to ask instead.  Here the thread is back on track. I must've grabbed the  winter weight bar oil when I fueled my big saw last time, not so good, got a bit warmish, and smoked a little, but no I hadn't put fuel in the wrong hole. I'll put the jug under the bench for February the most useless month of the year.

firefighter ontheside

I sure miss fighting fire out west.  Some of the best times.  Speaking of doing something dumb, I went to a fire in Yellowstone and had to protect a pile of trash left by Roosevelt when he visited the park.  Lots of tin cans and an abandoned Ford.  It was a historical landmark.
The second pic is me and my Pulaski in Oregon, by mount Washington.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Very handsome!

The Pulaski, that is :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Lots of things in the picture look better than me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 20, 2019, 05:08:36 PM
Lots of things in the picture look better than me.
That's funny FFotS. When I saw the photos and before I read your follow up comment, I thought to myself, man we ALL looked the same in the yellow shirts and green pants and (mostly) yellow hardhats and neck shields. There are few outfits that are LESS attractive and unsexy than that. Has nothing to do with you, I looked worse probably (OK, assuredly). My gear still sits in a go bag on the other side of the room. I think I will leave it there. Although the shirts were pretty comfortable, the pants always made my butt look fat. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Originally I had a yellow helmet, but Firecache had a deal on that green wide brimmed one.  I think it was some kind of forest service anniversary edition.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Because of the wildland experience i came to dislike the plain hats and moved to the full brim also. (neck protection from ash and branches, also better balance). The hat I wore on the fire-line bit the dust a year ago. I wear orange now. I might get red for my next one. I have no idea why. As long as it isn't white. White helmets still make me shudder.  ;D (I assume you get the reference.) I always wanted to get one of those helmet stickers that said "white helmets kill brain cells", but I would never had the guts to put it on, I got in enough trouble without it. :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

OOOPPSSS! My bad!  ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D
 Had no idea you were a BC, congrats. Keep your head on a swivel and your people safe. I worried enough about mine as the Cap, but as a BC, well, I never wanted that. Tough duty. 

firefighter ontheside

I'm happy where I'm at.  I have 9 folks that work for me.  That's as high as I will ever go.  I see the stress that the Chief has to deal with.  I like being on shift instead of days.  At one time I aspired to be a Fire Chief, but not anymore.  Now I aspire to work 10 or less more years and then do woodworking/sawmill until I'm tired.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

It is funny.  when my brother worked for a big road construction company, he wanted me to visit him on the job.  He gave me a white hard hat.  I said won't people wonder who I am?  sure enough I went visit, drove 12 miles across the job past gates and barricades wearing that hat.  everyone waved like they knew me.  they just though I was the big boss from corporate.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

Years ago I worked for a summer as foreman on a construction project, I knew squat about building water lines but had done a stint as a surveyor's helper so was the most experienced ::). I wore a siver aluminum hard hat, the crew told me to keep it on so they could see me coming.

WV Sawmiller

Does tucking my cap behind my belt and not finding it till I flushed the toilet qualify for posting here?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

Magicman

Does not gathering your bib overall straps qualify??  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

in construction the "white hats"  are the bosses, in medicine the length of your white coat is like a rank.  med students hip length short, attending professors, knee length long.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

MM -  Is that similar to forgetting to remove your nail apron before you go pee?

Doc - My favorite was Robin Williams in his white butcher's coat in Patch Adams. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Never have to remove it.  I have that one down to a science.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 21, 2019, 07:12:06 PM
  Does tucking my cap behind my belt and not finding it till I flushed the toilet qualify for posting here?
Yes!  :D :D

Quote from: Magicman on September 21, 2019, 08:11:48 PM
Does not gathering your bib overall straps qualify??  ::)

And Yes!  :D :D

Say when

Chuck White

I had a good laugh one day out on the mill, the helper was wearing a Stihl helmet with the ear protectors and a screen face shield.

Well, this guy chewed (do I need to say more) well he spit without raising the screen!  ROFL    smiley_roller

First thing the guy did was look to see if I saw it!   laugh_at   I did!

In the end, we both had a good laugh!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Last night at the fish fry our 7 y/o gd Molly asked her grandma for her truck keys so she could get her stuff out and transfer to her mom's car. Becky gave her the keys and showed her how to push the remote 2 times to unlock the front then the back doors. A few minutes later Molly and sister Abbie returned and said it was not working. Becky quizzed her on how she had tried to use it then decided her remote had died and asked me for mine and I reminded her I don't have a remote for my truck. They discussed the issue some more and finally I reminded her we had driven my truck, not hers, which was why the remote was not working so Molly borrowed my key and went and got her stuff. Becky had my key on her ring too so really no need for mine. Becky and my DIL had a good laugh when they realized what they had done. I am not sure Molly thought it was so funny.
Howard Green

sawguy21

Thank You Sponsors!