The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 95726 times)

Offline jeepcj779

• "Watch this" - Famous last words
    • Share Post
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #440 on: November 23, 2019, 10:20:08 PM »
It came with a slip clutch drive shaft, so I think the gear box is ok. I didn't see any indication that the gear box shifted in it's mounts, and no unusual vibration following the event, so I think the slip clutch did it's job. I think I would prefer the shear bolt though. The slip clutch will protect the drive system, but allows the blades to keep turning until I am smart enough to shut down the PTO. A shear bolt would completely sever the connection without my input.

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #441 on: November 23, 2019, 10:30:37 PM »
With the slip clutch you will want to make sure it hasn't seized up over winter or long periods of non use. They can seize,especcially in moist weather and not provide any protection. I had a 10 footer (twin) at work and had to back the tension springs off and make sure it was functioning properly and re-tension. Easy to do.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #442 on: November 23, 2019, 11:00:35 PM »
Its fairly spectacular when you are trying your latest 5 ft craigslist haul for mowing weeds up at the cabin, and find out the hard way that the shear joint is rusted solid where it's supposed to slip when the shear bolt let's go.  Yeah I doubled the price of the bargain..... 

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #443 on: November 23, 2019, 11:56:33 PM »
Yup, I found an antique intake manifold in the weeds, they did not spare the iron in castings back then.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline jeepcj779

• Share Post
« Reply #444 on: November 24, 2019, 03:15:20 AM »
Unfortunately, the slip clutch didn't have time to seize up. The mower was a day old when I found the neighbor's garbage in my field. 

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #445 on: November 24, 2019, 09:43:02 AM »
you get any moisture at all on those clutches and they will seize. You are much better off with shear bolts unless your test it all the time.

Offline crowhill

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #446 on: November 24, 2019, 10:29:25 AM »
I did a lot of custom field and pasture mowing with a 6 brush hog and also went through many sets of blades, mostly just from rock. But the worst thing I found with mine was several hundred feet of barbed wire that made a beautiful nest around the blades and shaft. It wound up tight and fast! Took about two hours to cut it out. That same farm had several test holes dug that were about 4x4x6 deep looking for gravel, they had years of dead hay and brush over them. Surprise!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #447 on: November 24, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »
Old Greenhorn, seems that many times when I do something similar, I have thought that this might not be a good idea or I should take a few more minutes to do whatever.  However, many times I opt for the in a hurry or 'what could go wrong' thought and head out.  Most times it goes ok, but then there are times it is a failure.  Glad not injuries or damage occurred. 

jeepcj779 I don't think I have it steel.  I do mow rock, stumps 'someone' left too high, and once an abandoned plastic pipe (the barbwire type scenario).  I too have a slip clutch that every spring I loosen the bolts and slip it to break loose the rust.  I have not looked at the blade lately.  Probably need to do that to avoid posting a future issue here. ::)

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #448 on: November 24, 2019, 05:49:33 PM »
When I worked for the DOT of Mississippi once I tried a drive line with a shear bolt.  The big bushwacker mowers  (15 footers) that we used would litteraly shear the shear bolt on start up at times.  I went back to the slip clutch as soon as I could.  Run a slip on the little 5 that I have behind my 2600 ford now.  To each his own I guess.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #449 on: November 24, 2019, 05:58:56 PM »
If I pop the clutch on my JD 2150 hooked to the 5' bushhog, it is time to replace the shear bolt :).  At least I have the comfort of knowing that the gearbox is safe from all this stuff that y'all on here are mowing :D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #450 on: November 24, 2019, 06:43:15 PM »
   My dumb move of the day was to move my climbing deer stand to a different tree on the back corner of my property in preparation for Rifle season that starts tomorrow. I bow hunt out of a couple of permanent shooting houses with feeders and such but usually the first day of rifle season I hunt out of a climbing stand overlooking a deep draw, a ridge and bench that is a common crossing. Being there also discourages poachers from ignoring the posted signs and coming on my property. Anyway I changed trees and adjusted the back clamps on the stand and climber/seat because the new tree was smaller. To test it I climbed about 20' to check out the view and shooting conditions. As I climbed the tree got smaller so I decided to adjust the bolt to a new hole to tighten the climber/seat. All went well till I dropped the wingnut. I keep a spare in my fanny pack but it was about 30' away at the old tree (with my safety strap). I moved the remaining wingnut to the the shorter bolt and carefully inched down 8-10 inches at a time. Fortunately putting weight on the climber/seat put pressure on the bolt and held/locked the longer bolt in place but it was pretty nerve wracking for this fat old man to be up there that high. I got down safely but will be sure to put a spare bolt and nut back in the stand in an unused hole so it will always be there if needed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #451 on: November 24, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »
   Jeepcj, that must have made a terrible racket.  Glad it wasnt worse.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #452 on: November 24, 2019, 08:49:03 PM »
Well, my dumb move of the week involved my Sawstop tablesaw.  I was using my dado blade set and mitre gauge.  Well, with the dado set installed there wasnt clearance and the blades hit the miter gauge.  Before I knew what was going on there was a bang and a jump of the saw.  Its good to know the sawstop works as it should, but that dumb move cost me $199 for a new dado set and cartridge for the saw.  I will be more careful next time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Resonator

• Senior Member x2
  • Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #453 on: November 24, 2019, 09:20:26 PM »
I found with mine was several hundred feet of barbed wire that made a beautiful nest around the blades and shaft. It wound up tight and fast!
I have also heard that "finding" an extension cord buried in the snow with a snowblower will cause similar results. :-X 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline jeepcj779

• Share Post
« Reply #454 on: November 24, 2019, 10:07:11 PM »
Banjo, you are probably correct. I have to think the manufacturer included a drive shaft with a slip clutch instead of a shear bolt for a reason. It does require quite a bit of torque to get it moving, so I'll have to consider carefully before I decide to switch the drive shaft I have for one with a shear bolt.

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #455 on: November 24, 2019, 11:09:03 PM »
I found with mine was several hundred feet of barbed wire that made a beautiful nest around the blades and shaft. It wound up tight and fast!
I have also heard that "finding" an extension cord buried in the snow with a snowblower will cause similar results. :-X
:D :D I worked in lawn and garden shops, lost count of the number of extension cords gobbled up by snowblowers. Yes sir it is a brand new cord but I cannot cover it under warranty. I sure hated cutting barbed wire out of them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #456 on: November 25, 2019, 07:01:52 AM »
Well, my dumb move of the week involved my Sawstop tablesaw.  I was using my dado blade set and mitre gauge.  Well, with the dado set installed there wasnt clearance and the blades hit the miter gauge.  Before I knew what was going on there was a bang and a jump of the saw.  Its good to know the sawstop works as it should, but that dumb move cost me $199 for a new dado set and cartridge for the saw.  I will be more careful next time.
During one of the AWI shows I was working my booth was directly across from Sawstop. I talked to them extensively. He told me that most of the time the blade is salvageable. Did you bend the blades? I would think that you can pry the aluminum block off of it and continue to use it. 

I could be wrong, but be nice to see what happened to the blade set.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #457 on: November 25, 2019, 07:30:54 AM »
Howard,

Some of us are getting too old to be climbing trees :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #458 on: November 25, 2019, 02:16:30 PM »
There were numerous carbide teeth broken off of the blades, which may be able to be replaced, but probably not really worth the trouble.  Also, Im afraid at least one of the chipper blades is bent.  I can post some pics in a few days when I get home from work.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline K-Guy

• Share Post
    • http://www.nyle.com/
« Reply #459 on: November 25, 2019, 02:45:09 PM »
Quote from: crowhill link=topic=105351.msg1693873#;Ddate=1574609365
But the worst thing I found with mine was several hundred feet of barbed wire that made a beautiful nest around the blades and shaft. It wound up tight and fast!

I had a similar problem on the axle of a M68 jeep when I was in the army after a night of simulated attacks during an exercise. It sucks when everyone else is sleeping while you lay on the ground cutting (what seemed like a mile of) barbed wire off your rear axle 6 inches at a time. Lesson learned!! ;D 
Nyle Kiln Sales & Service
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of
 the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
I did a dumb

Started by alan gage on General Board

14 Replies
Last post July 25, 2019, 12:13:15 PM
by alan gage