Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

:D :D I'm sorry, that is just to funny.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nebraska

It's very  much like the song lyric about crayons melting in a Maytag dryer.

Southside

Yea - a pump bottle of Blue Kote left in a jacket pocket has the same spouse inciting effect..... ::)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

It's been a while since I contributed to my own thread, so Monday I was milling red oak and tried to slide the logs against the stops by hand.  I felt something pop in my wrist.  I kept going, but could tell it wasn't right.  Last night I went for an X-ray which turned out negative, which is good, but I definitely tore something.  Doc said it will heal fine on it's own, but I've been useless the last two days.  The normal bump on my wrist is a bit bigger than it's suppised to be.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

Just over 3 weeks ago I'm pretty sure tore my rotator cuff trying to get the top radiator hose back on my tractor/forklift water pump.  I need to hew 14 timber faces, but I can't even think of swinging an axe.  Never had this before and it's taking a real long time to heal.  It's been improving very slowly.  I think at least 3 more weeks if not more to be able to swing an axe.  If I try too soon, I'll inflame it and regress the healing.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don P

Brad, a rotator does not heal. There is also a bursa up there, a fluid filled cushioning/ lubricating sac that can get angry, bursitis. Water on the knee is another p.o'ed bursa. The inflammation and pain go down but if you've torn it don't be fooled, there is a tear that only grows with abuse. The surgeon told me "Every morning you guys make a new deal with your bodies and tear another fiber" very true. Avoid the shot, let it calm down and get on you tube for some strengthening exercises to kick the inevitable down the road. If you tear one of the 4 rotator tendons out the arm usually goes down and is difficult to lift without help from the other arm but your body instinctively knows how to cheat, mine didn't go down till I tore the second tendon out, 3 is still stability in engineering terms after all. By then it had been 10 years, that first tendon was retracted and atrophied to the size of my thumb, don't fool around.

Nebraska

@Brad_bb ...Go see your GP and get some good NSAIDs (Non Steroidal AntiInflamitory Drug) Maybe just motrin. He will tell pretty quickly if you can get by with ice, rest, and or PT or if you just need to get an MRI and go see the orthopedist, don't wait too long.
One of my classic I did something dumb moves,  was trying to tackle a goat. This was two years ago.   I used poor form and tried to arm tackle her by just sticking my arm out while she was trying hard to escape.... As the lightening bolt shot up my bicep I could hear my old football coach yelling move your feet, MOVE YOUR FEET!
I got an awesome scar out of the reattachtment surgery but I had witnesses to the event (my two younger sons) So I get corrected on how big this goat was if they are around and the story comes up, and yeah she wasn't very big. .....but she's expensive.

Magicman

I have eaten some mighty fine goat dishes.  food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

I think if I tried to take one of my goats by the horns right now, I would tear my ligament the rest of the way.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

I've been thrown to the ground by a lamb :D, when that 4 wheel drive takes off in an unexpected direction all bets are off!

Southside

@Nebraska and @Magicman you should both be ashamed of yourselves, telling stories about a FF member when the Kid can't even defend his own hide.  :D That's just down right rumeniscent of y'all.  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: Don P on December 12, 2019, 06:32:56 PM
I've been thrown to the ground by a lamb :D, when that 4 wheel drive takes off in an unexpected direction all bets are off!
Gave up being in the PMBA eh? (Professional Mutton Bustin Association)  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

@Southside ....Funny you mention mutton busting,  I came to this area 23 years ago and after  a couple years I got to know some folks, so  I took in the  county fair rodeo next county south of here. Lots of clients there, I remember the mutton busting in particular watching, a young man hang on for dear life. He might of been all of six... Well tomorrow  I'm working his father in laws cows, his daughter is about 1 now, he is usually  there helping on these jobs, it sorta makes  one feel a little bit  old. 
It seems most animals that are considered a food source have tried to run me over at least once .... Scariest one was a camel. :o Comes with the territory I guess.

Oh yeah and I did something dumb earlier I had a few minutes  of day left  and a log qued up  on the mill, so I quick got a rough cant squared up   and promptly knocked my band off by not  raising the head, before i backed up.  You know,  hurrying....  yep heard that wonderful noise.. Wasted the rest of my visible light changing the blade, finished with the headlamp out of the truck.  Knocked three teeth out of the blade to boot. 8)

Southside

Yea - I did the whole speed band removal thing earlier this week, it's an even dumber move when you have a drag back system, cleared the band from the cut, but didn't get far enough out of the cut for the drag back fingers to engage, raised up and back fast - 55 HP of bang and sparks resulted....  >:(
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Quote from: Nebraska on December 12, 2019, 08:50:51 PM

It seems most animals that are considered a food source have tried to run me over at least once .... Scariest one was a camel. :o
Tastes like chicken ???

Southside

Quote from: Don P on December 12, 2019, 09:24:29 PM
Quote from: Nebraska on December 12, 2019, 08:50:51 PM

It seems most animals that are considered a food source have tried to run me over at least once .... Scariest one was a camel. :o
Tastes like chicken ???
Ya know - thinking about it I have been chased by a chicken, he chose Poorly.... :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

We had this one rooster. I'd open the coop in the morning and fairly often he'd come off the perch at head level spurs first. There were few things more satisfying in that moment than slamming the door and hearing him whump and slide to the floor :D. 

trapper

My wife wont let me have chickens.  She remembers being chased  by them as a kid
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

SawyerTed

When you have an aggressive rooster, you just have to be a bigger rooster!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDH

Quote from: Southside on December 12, 2019, 09:22:35 PM
but didn't get far enough out of the cut for the drag back fingers to engage, raised up and back fast - 55 HP of bang and sparks resulted....  >:(
That sawhead gigs back in reverse at the speed of light. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 13, 2019, 05:41:40 AM
or a 410 works well also!  sorry @Southside 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Wife has banned chickens and pigs at our place at least in the live form. Packaged they are quite welcome.  She spent too much time with them growing up as well.  Every once in a while I run I into an aggressive rooster on a place, no sure why the stupid ones seem to stay around of course too many people keep stupid cows. 

@Southside  I bet that bang is much more impressive indeed.  It  makes mad I still had some goody left in that blade. 

K-Guy

Quote from: Southside on December 12, 2019, 07:44:17 PM@Nebraska and @Magicman you should both be ashamed of yourselves, telling stories about a FF member when the Kid can't even defend his own hide.   That's just down right rumeniscent of y'all.

@Southside 
You shouldn't be one to talk with your habit of sacrificing chickens to the sawmill gods!!! ;D:D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

SawyerTed

Quote from: doc henderson on December 13, 2019, 07:34:09 AM
Quote from: SawyerTed on December 13, 2019, 05:41:40 AM
or a 410 works well also!  sorry @Southside
We've had chickens for many years.  When I get a rooster that thinks he's boss, I just snatch him up and carry him upside down by his legs for a few minutes.  Two or three times is all it takes and he knows who the big rooster actually is..... :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

The camel I ate always tasted more like stringy beef than chicken to me. A half liter of cold camel's milk and a Cadbury Hazelnut chocolate bar was a tasty snack however.

My wife has several screws in her shoulder from our old billy goat who became suddenly deceased shortly after he dislocated her should. She and our former Norwegian exchange student finally got him wrestled to the ground and Ruth tied him to a sapling with her belt. My son came home, tied a hay string  to his collar and led him back to the barn. If he'd have stayed in he'd have just found a new home the next auction day. He kept breaking out and my wife was afraid he'd hurt someone else and issued the death warrant for him.

I'm with @Magicman on tasty goat however. My old mentor used to raise them and they were good eating, especially BBQ'd.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!