iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

I feel your pain! I tried to stop a firewood row from collapsing and got my finger between a stationary block and the falling blocks. Lost my finger nail on that one. At this age it still amazes me that I have to try to catch these things but I'm learning.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

doc henderson

even worse when your hands are cold.  feel better soon! smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Old Greenhorn, the upside is that you weren't working outside when you did that. 
If you mash your fingers like that when your hands are really cold, you don't really, really feel how bad it is....until you go inside, take off your mitts and feel the whole Dang stupid moment get replayed in slow'mo as your hand warms up.
Priceless!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Hey Doc, sounds like you've been there!
😨
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Well, it WAS my favorite mug.
'nuff said.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

sadly @Andries   yes, more than once. we all have to learn and occasionally need a "booster" lesson!  some more than others.   :D  @Old Greenhorn 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Andries, sorry about your mug. I hate when that happens. Be happy you weren't drinking from it at the time this happened. ;D

As for my own blunder, I am just glad that mu fingers came out of the glove with the rest of my hand. I just did a bandage change on the index finger and there was a 'bit' more of a hole/tear than I thought. It felt OK all day, so I didn't baby it but apparently it had been seeping the whole time. It's a bigger hole than I had thought. ;D Good thing I have had a lot of wound care practice, this is gonna take a while to close. OH, and I have been corrected, it was 3/4 ply, not 5/8. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

From one tree frog to another, by the looks of that ring finger, this ain't your first rodeo :D

I'm about healed up from the metal roof edge a couple of weeks ago, the judges on the ground didn't give high marks on form even though I stuck the landing on the lower roof, something about deductions for screaming like a girl ::) 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Don P on December 21, 2019, 11:06:54 PM
From one tree frog to another, by the looks of that ring finger, this ain't your first rodeo :D

I'm about healed up from the metal roof edge a couple of weeks ago, the judges on the ground didn't give high marks on form even though I stuck the landing on the lower roof, something about deductions for screaming like a girl ::)
Nope, not my first rodeo and I am sure we will load him up into the gate again soon. ;D In retrospect, I am usually that guy that swallows a deep groan/grunt when I do something like this, but this time a let out a howl that kind of scared me. Most unusual indeed. :D
 That middle finger is pretty much a stick this morning wish I had a leech to relieve the pressure.
 There were no judges around but it happened so fast and was so severe that I headed to the house so the wife could make a call if needed. Probably could have put a stitch or two in the finger. 
Last night we had the grandchildren over to decorate our little tree and the 5 year old comes up to me smiling as I was re-dressing that finger. He said "Look Grandpa, I used the adult scissors and I didn't cutted myself!" I said, "yes, you have to be very careful with scissors!". He said "yes, that's right, because if you are not careful you put tiny holes in your hand." To which I replied "that's right! kind of like this hole?" and I showed him the index finger. To my surprise he got his nose right up there and studied it closely. The he looked up at me and said " No Grandpa, I said TINY HOLES. that hole is too big to be from scissors!" :D I laughed so hard I nearly cried. He's gonna be a good one. :)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Dakota

Dave Rinker

Andries

You're right, Dakota.
I'm back to using Big Bubba.
It's dented, but lives a charmed freaking life. 
Fifty foot run-away Western Red Cedar logs roll off the forks and Big Bubba takes a hit. I find it under a pile of cedar bark. Not a scratch.
Forget Bubba on the trailer, drive to the city and its still sitting there on the deck.
Fill it with water, it's frozen solid in the morning and still smiling.
The Yeti died a quick and decisive death.
I could forget Bubba at the Pig Roast, and a dozen years later, some guy named @WDH would return it to me saying: 'Hey, your name is scratched on the bottom'.
😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Chuck White

With the price of the YETI brand products, it seems you could get some kind of warranty or accident insurance with them!  :'(
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

firefighter ontheside

I'm proud of y'all for keeping my thread going for so long.  I guess as long as we keep doing dumb things, it will continue to grow.

Andries, is that yeti sitting on top of the tire that ran over it?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Nebraska

Oh I'm pretty sure this thread is safe for a long time.   :D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 23, 2019, 09:08:32 AM
I'm proud of y'all for keeping my thread going for so long.  I guess as long as we keep doing dumb things, it will continue to grow.
As long as there are sawyers and loggers and builders I don't think this thread will die. You would be surprised at the number of things I chose NOT to post here. I think there is a chance I am not alone. ;D ;D There is 'dumb' and then there is 'embarrassingly stupid'. No, I don't think we need to start another thread for that, this one is just fine as is. :)

SawyerTed

As long as there are human beings, this thread will live on!

I just happen to be extremely human too! :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

As we used to say in the industry side of the house "This topic is Evergreen". The reason it stays alive is all of us, sawyers, woodworkers, loggers, cooks, hunters/outdoorsmen, whatever can relate to this thread as we have all been there is some fashion - and will be there in the future if the truth be told. My biggest hope is when someone reads it they will think about it and maybe, just maybe, it will keep one reader from getting hurt. Have a safe and happy holiday season and keep them posts a'coming.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Note to self: Ted, don't put your toolbox on the roller conveyor that carries your slabs away from the sawmill.

It doesn't turn out well.  ::)
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Crusarius

Did you get a picture of the carnage?

SawyerTed

A certain sense of pride, embarrassment, mortification and later humility prevented me from having the presence of mind to photograph the wrenches, sockets, pliers and screwdrivers scattered among the slabs.

It was bad.  On a positive note, my metal detector finally was useful!

GAB

I'm glad to hear that the result was only a bruised ego, and that no stitches or emergency room visits were required.
Some accident reports are hard to write.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Rhodemont

Have had some nice tiger maple slabs in the basement for about a year.  Went down the bulkhead to take a look.  Decided to bring one out to the shop .  On the way out while carrying this big slab I banged my head on the low slung cast iron sewer pipe.  Dropped me to my knees.  But, to avoid damaging the live edge on the slab I was able to hang onto to it which ended up in it smashing my hands against the floor.  Good thing had heavy gloves on. My head,neck, back, knees and hands still hurt.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

samandothers

Quote from: Rhodemont on January 07, 2020, 08:12:51 AM
Have had some nice tiger maple slabs in the basement for about a year.  Went down the bulkhead to take a look.  Decided to bring one out to the shop .  On the way out while carrying this big slab I banged my head on the low slung cast iron sewer pipe.  Dropped me to my knees.  But, to avoid damaging the live edge on the slab I was able to hang onto to it which ended up in it smashing my hands against the floor.  Good thing had heavy gloves on. My head,neck, back, knees and hands still hurt.
AH but you saved the slab!  All the other stuff will heal.  ::) ;D

richhiway

Broke the plastic fuel fitting off taking the tarp of the mill. Plastic and cold weather don't mix. Luckily it was pipe thread and I had a brass nipple that fit.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!