iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Oh man not good, glad it was not worse.

Ljohnsaw

I know.  And I know exactly what I did wrong. 1. I was cutting such that it was throwing sparks away from me.  The second it grabbed, it pushed towards me and rotated deeper into the metal causing it to push harder. 2. I was standing wrong.  I was directly in the line of fire. I always almost always stand to the side. 3. Didn't have a secure grip on the grinder.

A hard lesson I shall never forget.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

moosehunter

An fellow I know had a grinding disc explode. Shrapnel penetrated his abdomen. ER docs missed the shrapnel on the X-ray. He ended up with a life threatening infection. Keep the shield on your grinder! I cut my wrist with one when I was 17 years old or so. Had that scar for 30 + years. 
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Banjo picker

Now moose hunter it's good you put that + sign in there cause if your age is right that should read 40 years.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Nebraska

Went to the cabin to check things, read the meter, and work a little on a medium big burr oak blowd own.  Supposed to be a quick trip. Got snow down the boots hiking over to the tree >:(. Decided just to work on some of the crown and smaller stuff, as the spare bigger saw is down and at home 128 miles away (so only one saw up there right....) only had a couple more cuts to make and it's  time to bring the tractor up any way.  The  branch shifts as I'm cutting  and pinches the  chain tight. >:( :( :(.  Didn't pack a saw or hatchet along and they are now 1/4 mile away through fairly deep snow.  
"I DID SOMETHING DUMB TODAY" RUNS through my head. Blew about an hour fenangling to get it free. 

firefighter ontheside

I hate when that happens.  Been there done that!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

The only thing worse than not having a chainsaw is only having one chainsaw :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nebraska

@WDH  Yep, and I so know that. The back up saw is an old worn husky 372 that now needs refreshing or replacing.  I could've  easily grabbed another small saw to use as back up before I left home, but you know the "oh it'll be fine" line of thinkng we all have at various points in time. 

moosehunter

Quote from: Banjo picker on February 01, 2020, 06:13:26 PM
Now moose hunter it's good you put that + sign in there cause if your age is right that should read 40 years.  Banjo
Ya, but the scar went away some years ago!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

sawguy21

:D I am glad I'm not the only one that has done that. I feel a little better now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GAB

Quote from: WDH on February 02, 2020, 07:31:43 AM
The only thing worse than not having a chainsaw is only having one chainsaw :).
Suspecting that I might get into that quandry one day I brought the longer bar and chain with me, just in case.
Sure enough it happened.  Removed the power head, put the longer bar and chain on and cut myself out of my predicamant.  Then went back to my shorter bar and chain.
I did not bring two saws, but the next best thing.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Nebraska

Wow this went back almost three pages we've been really good lately!!. I went to the mill for a few minutes of therapy today.  Have a Ponderosa log sitting ready for almost three weeks. It was minus 2 to start the day but by 5:00 it was all the way to 29, sunny not much wind. Had a few minutes  free so let's go start the log... This might belong in health and safety ......but just proved this.... if you leave an open package of n 95 dust masks on the ledge inside your mill shed, mice will get into the package and leave you presents on every single one of the five left in the package. Do I have mouse proof storage there......yep...... :-[  did I fail to use it ::).... For some reason I've heard they are a little bit hard to find right now... I still have a few but felt kinda dumb to waste the 5.

firefighter ontheside

Well, that sucks.  Hope it didn't keep you from starting the log.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

:D :D :D :D :D
Yeah, don't leave anything in the mill shed that ain't steel or in some kind of non-cardboard box. My issue was always with the paper towels I kept for wiping out the coffee pot or cups. Had confetti all over the place. I thought it was just me and I never had the stones to mention it because I made the same mistake a few times. ;D >:(
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

Oh no I was bad  :o and made three cuts with just my face shield thingy, the wind was good, otherwise I would've made myself go get one.  Got it pith centered and cut  on 3 5/8 slab. Got a start anyway.

SawyerTed

<
It was a "near miss" something dumb......caught it before it turned bad!

br>
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sawguy21

:D This is a fun thread, I'm glad we can laugh at ourselves and carry on. I think of a couple of bonehead stunts I pulled and wonder why I am still here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerTed

:D :D Yep, and if I don't laugh at myself, my wife and kids sure remind me that I should!  :D :D I'm old enough now I don't have anything to prove except that I still can....!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Ted - isn't that the "Extended, manual, vertical backstop" mod that is used for turning really big cants?  Yea - that's it.. you just forgot to lower it is all... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

woodnut

Hey firefighter on the side. I'll be getting a LT-55 soon and will feel better when I have those dumb hopefully minor mistakes. I just wondered when 1 tooth of the blade is gone could you snip 1 alternate tooth off  and use it for awhile longer?

Chuck White

If just one tooth is gone, take a pair of vice grips and clamp it onto what's left of the missing tooth to make it line up with a raker!

The rest of the teeth will never miss it!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodnut

Thanks Chuck. Good to know. I hope I don't have to make to many rakers.

trimguy

I had a bad morning . A bowed log rolled when I set it on the mill and knocked it off the jacks. the pallet racking is to flimsy for this application .  Flimsy was good when it came time to fix it.

Nebraska

That looks really not good.

trimguy

It wasn't . I did get it almost back right , less than an 1/8 of an inch. Definitely looking to get some 1 1/2 by 6 tubing to build another one. More things get add to my list to do than are getting check off. I need another me. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!