iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

If you leave the blade installed when you're finished sawing, whether tensioned or not the inside of the band where it contacts the belts will stain/rust !
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Patrick NC

Cant even think up a good excuse for this one 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Old Greenhorn

Oh yeah you can, you just need to think about it a bit.
 Here's mine,  did miss the clamp, barely, but I know I messed up the blade on the bottom side.

For a change, it was on the very last cut of the day and the blade was ready for a change anyway.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Patrick NC

I wonder if I can blame it in the virus?😏
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on April 19, 2020, 07:31:46 AMIf you leave the blade installed when you're finished sawing, whether tensioned or not the inside of the band where it contacts the belts will stain/rust !
I never leave a blade on after sawing, even overnight.  There are too many good reasons to remove it; safety, mechanical, housekeeping, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Quote from: Patrick NC on April 19, 2020, 07:41:32 PM
It's either Ronaviriitis OR That D4MN Murphy at work again!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Patrick NC

Quote from: SawyerTed on April 19, 2020, 08:18:54 PM

Patrick NC

Quote from: Patrick NC on April 19, 2020, 08:30:04 PM
Quote from: SawyerTed on April 19, 2020, 08:18:54 PM
There he goes again! Murphy's been following me around all weekend.  He even put sawdust in my fuel filter. 😉

doc henderson

I have always unfolded my bands that come wrapped in 3 loops, by tossing them in the air to land on the grass and spring open.  I decided last week that I could try to unwrap one, since I do a handled maneuver to fold them back up.  well it twisted in my hand, and I got one tooth into my palm.  not my first rodeo so I went on and got a little dirt in the blood which helped the clotting process.  so this week I had a stubborn blade that no matter how I tossed it, it stayed together.  so I got it twisted open, then let it go.  not injury but boy did it smoke and not cut well in the ERC I was working on.  yes I manually unwrapped it backward.  then had to invert it.  took me a few days to post it but now I feel good I have made many if not most of the mistakes that everyone else here has made.  my hand is healing up fine.  thanks!   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Mine made a funny noise too when i did that. ::) 

frazman

Well, I can say that I haven't cut the metal back stop. Oops , I forgot I haven't even cut a log yet either...  ;D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on April 29, 2020, 10:26:40 PM
I have always unfolded my bands that come wrapped in 3 loops, by tossing them in the air to land on the grass and spring open.  I decided last week that I could try to unwrap one, since I do a handled maneuver to fold them back up.  well it twisted in my hand, and I got one tooth into my palm.  .....   :) :) :)
doc doc doc! C'mon man! I thought you were better than the 'throw it on the grass type'. You're a craftsman after all. :D There was a video I saw here over the winter and it took me 40 minutes to find it, but go to this thread and watch the video in reply #43, this is a safe and fool proof way to handle blades, @Chuck White knows what he is doing.
 I used to throw blades on the floor in the shop (when I was 16-18 years old and afraid of them) and then on one of my first real machine shop jobs a toolmaker saw me do that and threw an oily rag at my head and started cursing in German. Then he gave me a lesson, such as is in this video and I never went back. Throwing blades can cause dulling and other issues, especially in a machine shop on a concrete floor. ;D
 Be careful. We need your hands in a functional condition with no new infection entry points.
 Knowledge is power.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Chuck White

Thanks for the "tag" OGH!

I'll post that thread here, might save a few more injuries!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,73467.40.html

Nothin' to it!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

OH SHOOT! I spent 40 minutes looking for that video and then never put the link in the post. :D
 Well, I guess I did something dumb today too. Thanks for adding it, it just a good clean simple video on a basic skill that can get folks in trouble if they are not careful.

doc henderson

thanks chuck.  I watched it a few times and ready to give it a try.  thanks OG.  good info.  heavy gloves and eye protection are prob.  not a bad idea!  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

trapper

Doc is just using the dirt to build up his immunity from infections  ;D
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

SawyerTed

The uncoiling process if done correctly should be no problem.  It's when it's done wrong that you get hit on the forehead as the blade springs open and it cuts you!  I know a guy that happened to recently shortly after he started sharpening his own blades. ::)  I have to remind him to uncoil so the teeth are away from his body :o
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

RichTired

I had one blade that was "inside out", but I noticed it as I was installing it.  So I turned it right side in before cutting any logs.  And as has been stated, throwing a blade on the ground is a good way to dull the blade and knock the set out.  
I uncoiled a blade this week and it slipped and I have three little tooth marks on my arm along with holes in one of my work shirts.  I am sure the blood will washout...  :) 
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

firefighter ontheside

I'm so proud that you guys are keeping my thread alive.  I will always use a big patch of zoysia grass to uncoil my blades.  I get them started and and then let them go.  That grass is like 70s shag carpet.  The blades are very well padded.

My something dumb for the week was while putting a new rear bearing on my wife's Subaru.  I set the parking brake to be safe while working on it, not thinking that that would make it almost impossible to get the rotor off.  I say almost impossible, because with enough prying and pulling and banging it will come off.  Luckily I didn't damage the brake and I got it all done and now the car doesn't make terrible noise.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

That is funny. I fought with the brakes to the point of exhaustion. Why didn't sumdumguy just cut the seized cable?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

Circle mill, them bandsaws sound dangerous :D

Well, I went out yesterday morning ahead of the rain to drop another tree along the driveway and get it to the mill. It was a leaner but I got it to lay over nice and miss critical infrastructure. I then limbed it up a good ways and began bucking it up. The butt log dropped down nice, I taped off the next 12'4" log and bucked it. as it dropped I had one of those gears a whirling ignoseconds but the mass was in motion. The driveway there is over 20% and it took off rolling. Nothing to do but watch. It looked like it was going to roll out fine onto a flat area but then about halfway down it scrubs the high side bank just enough to start a turn. Oh this isn't gonna be good, mamma is doing the dishes and she is gonna be pithed. Yup perfect strike, the well tile explodes, lid goes flying concrete tile smashed. Well might as well walk down and survey the scene of the tragedy. Amazingly the wellhead is undamaged, the concrete absorbed it all and chocked the log. The rest of the day was spent shuttling logs down and bringing old scrap chunks of I beams and even part of an old truck frame back up the hill. Modern battery drills are amazing. By the end of the day Rube Goldburg had bolted together a cage over the wellhead, there's still 6 or 8 trees in striking distance and leaning for the light ::). I suspect I'll remember to leave a limb or two on them.

I might bring some big honkin rocks up to surround it all just in case :D
And another honey do added to the list, replace the well tile. A few more free trees and I'll about dig my way to the top of this hole.

SawyerTed

That job sounds like trying to chew your first raw oyster.  You chew and it gets bigger and bigger and there's nowhere to spit! :D

Nebraska

@SawyerTed yer just eatin the wrong kind of oyster.  ;) 
I was in the process of oyster harvest this morning and managed to whittle a little hide off of my finger. After this many years you woyld think I could make it through an entire spring with out doing that. It's not a huge booboo but I still feel dumb.  Had to stop and improvise a bandaid out of the truck..
I also. managed to send a log rolling down the hill last night with my wife watching up at the house.  I had it decked by the mill and decided it could go sit on the firewood pile as I had better ash logs  to saw before it so decided to pick it up with the pallet forks and unceremoniously  dump it.  I came in the house she said nothing til I was crawling into bed the she burst out laughing said it was pretty funny seeing  me chase the log with the tractor as it rolled slowaly down the slope. .. ::)...Thanks dear .... I guess it would make the qualification as a log... Meets the" logs roll" rule.

WV Sawmiller

@Don P ,

That's funny (as long as it is someone else). :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: SawyerTed on April 30, 2020, 11:01:54 PM
That job sounds like trying to chew your first raw oyster.  You chew and it gets bigger and bigger and there's nowhere to spit! :D
Which goes back to the age old question: "How drunk was the first guy to ever try to eat a raw oyster?" :-\

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!