iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Guy

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 28, 2020, 09:06:56 AMYour tale reminds me of the time I stopped at our local Vet's office and he was cussing a blue streak and scrubbing all the walls. Seems the previous patient was a monkey with diarrhea.

Did you go twice that day? :D

Just kidding
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Nebraska

Monkey with diarrhea,  oh heaven help me, :o I have three I loosely care for in the practice (along with much deference to a well experienced veterinarian  around Kansas City).  They are a very quick, athletic beyond belief, two year old, un potty trained toddler who will never grow up. Buyer beware....

farmfromkansas

And a monkey is not nearly as cute as a grandkid.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

trapper

My turn.  Splitting firewood yesterday had one last piece  biger than the rest.  Rather than tilt the splitter i lifted it up well almost just before i got it on the splitter my hand slipped.  Landed on my big toe.  Now my foot that has the heel that is getting better has a black  big toe. No pic I cant match magicman with gore.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

firefighter ontheside

Ouch.  Makes a good case for steel toes.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

Ever notice when we try to save a minute it cost many more minutes?  ??? 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

Oh ouch, I hope that toe heals without residual damage....Nothing like lifetime reminders of the sins of your youth.

firefighter ontheside

It turns out my Samsung phone has a pretty good waterproof rating.  I found that out after I fished it out of my pond.  I was taking my goats out to a fenced area for them to graze for the day.  I noticed something splash into the pond and figured it was a frog jumping in.  Later I couldn't find my phone so I called it, but I never heard it.  I started retracing my steps and thought, "I wonder if that splash was my phone."  Sure enough, I found my phone submerged right under the surface.  It had been in there maybe 10 minutes.  It's working as if no harm had come to it.  Still, I've got a fan blowing on it.  My wife looked it up and it's supposed to be water resistant for 30 minutes.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

goose63

Put the forks back on went to dumo some scrap on the fire ( note to self ) lock the forks in be for you dump stuff on fire  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sawguy21

OOOOPS!! :D How come we too soon old and too late schmart?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Caution, the following post contains photos rated at about 6 on the Magicman grossness scale(tm). ;D

Te dumb thing I did toady was not burning my finger as I has done last week while cooking breakfast last week.

Nope, not that. Nor was it that I was working with the newly exposed fresh skin uncovered.

Nope not that either. Neither of these were created through my lack of thinking or dumbness (well maybe just a tad). The dumb thing I did today was managing, while pruning just one single pine branch that was in my way, with a pruning saw to land said saw in the middle of all that new very tender skin.

Stung just a little. Now I have a scab in the middle of a healing blister.
 I do note that this thread is on it's 15th page. SO I am not alone, just sayin'  ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

sorry I should have mentioned that too.  so...  addendum:  "leave it open and exposed to air at night, and do not cut it open with a saw!"   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

NOW you tell me? smiley_furious say_what smiley_tom_dizzy01
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Chuck White

At this point, you might ensure that it's sterile, by rinsing it really well with alcohol!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

Gee thanks Chuck, great idea! I'll let you know how it goes...than again, maybe you will hear directly, you're not that far away. ;D

firefighter ontheside

That burn looked bad enough.  You just had to add insult to injury!  Isn't that always the way.  If you're injured, you can always manage to hit that exact spot again.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SawyerTed

Murphy is a cruel SOB!  He enforces laws on those with greatest likelihood of pain!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Nebraska

Glad it was  after supper, when I saw that post. Of all the spots to hit...

WV Sawmiller

@Old Greenhorn is now off the hook and I can take his spot. ::) ::) ::) :(

This was a right new glove.

I've always said my WM is safer than a tablesaw and I can prove that now.

I was cutting the corner off a bench leg on my tablesaw set at a 45 degree angle. Made the first cut and the cut off piece was on the table and I reached for it. I don't know if it hit the blade and snatched my hand into the running saw or I just dumbly stuck it into the blade. That stopped all forward progress for the day!

To the house, called wife up to go to the ER 8 miles away. Got there with my hand wrapped in paper towels, through the C-19 check and got checked in. About 90 minutes later with 10 stitches in the ring and middle finger and a fingernail on my index finger headed to the great manicure shop in the sky, a tetanus booster, an antibiotic shot and an 800 mg Motrin and I was done. We got to the pharmacy just before they closed and got 5 days worth of antibiotics and a special sleeve to keep the fingers dry. I considered trying 3 condoms over them but decided the gauze on the bottom would wick up the water. They X-rayed for foreign object and to confirm no broken bones. Deep but did not get quite get to the bone.

The doctor on call tonight was a lady doctor from Sudan. She was very pleasant with a good bedside manner and we did some refresher Arabic I thought I'd forgotten and she was not expecting to hear in a rural WV community. I am very well pleased with her performance at this point.

I'll see my regular doctor/PA on Friday for a check up to make sure no infection and get it re-dressed. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Ah man! I am so sick to see that. So very sorry that happened to you. That just sucks. Glad you kept your fingers.
 My son saw me running the table saw a couple of months ago and chastised me for pulling out those little strips. He was pretty firm with me, he said "my teacher taught me to NEVER do that, and my teacher was RIGHT." It's rare for him to 'correct me', but he knew I don't argue with someone when they are right.
 I am more careful now. He WAS right. Of course you know this too. Just really sorry it happened to you. That will take a while to heal. Keep it clean and dry (I know you know this too. FF translation: Don't put them fingers back to work before they are ready.
 Funny, but when I looked at your octagonal leg I thought "hey, that looks nice, but it must be a pain to cut on a table saw." I just never expected it to be THAT much pain. Rest up and heal up. 
 Oh and thanks for taking my spot on this thread. Sorry you gave up so much to do that.

doc henderson

Well that's just great!  I bet you still cannot play the piano!   :)  glad you are gonna be ok, FF translation, it could have been worse!  best wishes for a speedy recovery!  Doc.  Just be sure when they are almost healed, not to cut them in the same spot with another saw!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

I hope you have a speedy recovery 👍

Ljohnsaw

WV, you showed a picture of a tore up glove.  Were you wearing that while using the saw? :-X

I was always taught that you NEVER wear gloves around rotating equipment.  Too easy to get snagged and pulled into it.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Da glove man, da glove.  Can it be saved?  Stitches, transplant ??  Ya gotta do something to save da glove.  :o

Oh and about da fingers, they will heal kinda OK and the pain will go away as soon as it quits hurting.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!