iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I had a jointer grab my glove on my left hand last year.  Pulled my hand into the cutterhead.  I should not have been wearing gloves.  If the cutterhead had not grabbed the loose finger part of the glove, I would not have lost the end of my finger ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hilltop366

As odd as it sounds I think you are very lucky, could have been way worse. Take care!

Table saws scare the heck out of me but I still use one so I try to be extra careful.

What I try to follow:
No gloves, loose clothing etc.
No reaching over a spinning blade (I start and stop the blade a lot).
Stand to one side to avoid kick back.
Use push stick.
Clear tripping hazards.

samandothers

OH Man!  Not good. Sorry to read this Howard.  When I saw the glove I was expectibg a lot worse result.  Sorry for your injury.  Heal quick!   
You are gonna be wanting to do stuff, but don push it.

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

The glove probably can't be saved. :( Another HF $1.89 down the drain. ::) Yes I was wearing it at the time and yes it may have been a contributing factor. Unfortunately lately I have had some sort of fungus or such on both hands and if I am not careful and let them dry out they crack at the seams so bad they bleed so keeping plenty of lotion on them and wearing gloves has allowed me to function. I guess that will be a topic of discussion with the doctor's follow up visit tomorrow (That just changed to today) and we will see. So you are saying it will feel good when it quits hurting - that is good to know. ???

OGH,

The octagon legs really are easy to make just watch those cutoff pieces. BTW - I am ready to hand off the goat spot to anybody else who is willing to take it. Of course if my wife ever figures out how to send the pre-stitches photo off her phone nobody else may want the spot.

Doc,

Now you've got me really upset 'cause the doctor told me I'd be playing the piano by the end of the month and I told her that was great because I never could play it before. :D I was surprised to find a Muslim lady doc from Sudan because of the politics with that country. Just goes to show there are great people everywhere if we can just get past the politics.

H366 - you are spot on. Any of those suggestions would have prevented this.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

I try and avoid painful experiences, therefor I have no intention of competing with you fellows.
Hope your pains go away soon.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

K-Guy

WV Sawmiller
My dad lost a finger tip in similar fashion when he was in his early 70's. Just because you can't see the tip of a running table saw blade, it's still there.

ps In my travels(much less than yours unfortunately) around planet earth I have been lucky enough to meet good decent people everywhere. Locations change, people don't.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 04, 2020, 08:52:50 AM
Lynn,

... Unfortunately lately I have had some sort of fungus or such on both hands and if I am not careful and let them dry out they crack at the seams so bad they bleed so keeping plenty of lotion on them and wearing gloves has allowed me to function. I guess that will be a topic of discussion with the doctor's follow up visit tomorrow (That just changed to today) and we will see. So you are saying it will feel good when it quits hurting - that is good to know. ???

OGH,

...  BTW - I am ready to hand off the goat spot to anybody else who is willing to take it. Of course if my wife ever figures out how to send the pre-stitches photo off her phone nobody else may want the spot.

Howard, regarding that skin condition, over the years I have had something similar particularly in miserable winters when I am working a lot in the weather). Are you familiar with Bag Balm? It is a paste/lotion used on a cows udder to keep the skin healthy and has some ingredients that help fight infection and cracking. When things get bad, that is my go-to. Available in most farm supply stores. 
 Regarding somebody taking up the spot of last in the list...Nobody wants that, but SOMEBODY has to do it, just not intentionally.
 Sorry about your glove, maybe you can get a grant from the government to help overcome the financial impact? I have been using those mechanics type gloves in the shop. They fit tighter and allow more dexterity. I buy them in the fall when HD has them in a big barrel, 3 pairs for $17 or so. Those 3 used to last a year, now they last about 8 months. They are snug and not too hot and help me eliminate a lot of little cuts. Of course I did not have them on yesterday when I cut myself because I did not want to get sap on them. :D :D :D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

DWyatt

Quote from: Magicman on June 04, 2020, 07:16:23 AMOh and about da fingers, they will heal kinda OK and the pain will go away as soon as it quits hurting. 

This reminds me of my Gramps. Whenever someone would hurt themselves, he would smile and say, "You know, the good thing is that it'll feel better when it quits hurting."

Don P

Oww. Glad it wasn't worse!
I'll just pipe up to say, tight fitting or not, no gloves around spinning machines. You can pull out if it gets skin, cloth can suck you in.

Corn Huskers lotion is another one we used tree planting, not as greasy as bag balm. Pine tar soaps and salves have some magical properties from the resin as well.

WV Sawmiller

Okay, because of all the concern about the glove I went back and cut the fingers off the other one and my wife is sewing them on right now so we may be able to save it after all. (Not so sure what to do about the other one now - maybe it fits in with a new fashion trend.)

I am familiar with bag balm and think I have heard of the corn huskers lotion so depending on what my PA gives me today I may pick up some BB and CHL on my next trip to TSC. (They are in the same lot with HF where I need to go for the gloves ::).) I was going to the doctor tomorrow but when we called for an appointment she said come today - I think she is off tomorrow.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Rhodemont

Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

EOTE

Quote from: Chuck White on June 03, 2020, 06:24:07 PM
At this point, you might ensure that it's sterile, by rinsing it really well with alcohol!  ;D
As long as you're rinsing it with alcohol, you might as well set it on fire too, to sterilize it.  :D :D :D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

EOTE

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 03, 2020, 10:41:28 PMI was cutting the corner off a bench leg on my tablesaw set at a 45 degree angle. Made the first cut and the cut off piece was on the table and I reached for it. I don't know if it hit the blade and snatched my hand into the running saw or I just dumbly stuck it into the blade. That stopped all forward progress for the day!

Man, I hurt just looking at the photos!  However, I know hindsight is alway 20/20, would it have been better to maybe use a compound miter saw instead of a table saw to cut the table legs?  A lot more stability and easier to keep the hands at a safe distance.  Just a thought.

I hope you heal fast and I hope there's a warranty on the gloves. ;D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

sawguy21

Guess you won't be playing the guitar anytime soon either. I felt my stomach churn looking at that, I remember the pain when I took the tip of a finger off in a table saw almost 50 years ago. I have used one since but am almost too cautious now.

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

EOTE

Quote from: DWyatt on June 04, 2020, 09:39:28 AM
Quote from: Magicman on June 04, 2020, 07:16:23 AMOh and about da fingers, they will heal kinda OK and the pain will go away as soon as it quits hurting.  

This reminds me of my Gramps. Whenever someone would hurt themselves, he would smile and say, "You know, the good thing is that it'll feel better when it quits hurting."
That reminds me of a mechanic I worked with back in the 70's when I was a diesel mechanic in Montana.  The guy was in his 60's and had no right thumb.  He would tell the story that when he was 10 years old, he would help his Pa with sawing logs in their sawmill (one of those big circular saws run with a big flat belt to their steam tractor).  He was pushing a log through and got distracted and it sawed his thumb right down the middle.  Needless to say in his day they were 30 miles from the nearest town and even further from a hospital so his Ma did the only thing she could do.  She cut off the thumb save for a flap of skin and sewed it on over the wound.  It healed fine.  That was always a cringe inducing story to me.  
Glad you still have all your fingers.

WV Sawmiller

The story continues - the ER nurse just called back and said they checked the X-rays and all said all the cut fingers have several fractures so she is setting me up with an ortho doc tomorrow. She said everything seems to be intact and I can't see what he will do other than maybe splint it to stabilize it a few weeks as needed. Do they make special epoxy for this? I guess as long as they don't want to do a river table I should be okay.
Howard Green

EOTE

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 04, 2020, 11:15:34 AM
 The story continues - the ER nurse just called back and said they checked the X-rays and all said all the cut fingers have several fractures so she is setting me up with an ortho doc tomorrow. She said everything seems to be intact and I can't see what he will do other than maybe splint it to stabilize it a few weeks as needed. Do they make special epoxy for this? I guess as long as they don't want to do a river table I should be okay.
Speaking of epoxy, don't let them do this with your hand!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16yIdoa48UI

RichTired

WV Sawmiller,  This past school year (before closing due to the virus) I was a substitute teacher for a local high school.  One of the classes I subbed is the modern version of the shop class, now Construction Technology, which teaches the students the use of hand and power tools. One of the main points is always safety.  
So the topic of when and when not to wear gloves while working in the shop is covered for each and every application.  They have a Stop Saw in their shop and we have demonstrated its safety on a hot dog, but we have yet to see it work on a real finger.  And I hope that never happens, but it is nice to know it would work to keep the student (and teachers) safe. 

I hope all works out well for your fingers.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

EOTE

Quote from: RichTired on June 04, 2020, 11:38:04 AM
WV Sawmiller,  This past school year (before closing due to the virus) I was a substitute teacher for a local high school.  One of the classes I subbed is the modern version of the shop class, now Construction Technology, which teaches the students the use of hand and power tools. One of the main points is always safety.  
So the topic of when and when not to wear gloves while working in the shop is covered for each and every application.  They have a Stop Saw in their shop and we have demonstrated its safety on a hot dog, but we have yet to see it work on a real finger.  And I hope that never happens, but it is nice to know it would work to keep the student (and teachers) safe.

I hope all works out well for your fingers.
I saw a video a while back where the owner of the Saw Stop company actually stuck his finger into the running saw with the stop technology.  Just a slight nick and no blood albeit he did it very slowly and not like pushing a board through.  Pretty awesome demonstration.

Rodman

Wow  :o I'd say you were pretty lucky. Hoping you have a speedy recovery. So we can keep up to your daily doings. Play Safe

Resonator

I was just going to mention the SawStop table saw, their demonstration uses a hot dog to simulate a finger. The website says the blade carries any electric signal, and as soon as it makes contact with the body, an aluminum brake stops the blade in 5 milliseconds, and shuts off the power to the motor. I hope everything heals up good WV.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

caveman

Howard, I hate that you got your fingers tangled up in the table saw.  The table saw is the heart of the woodworking shop but it will bite even the most experienced if given the chance - it has no loyalty to its operator and may even have some contempt.  I hope your fingers heal quickly and completely.

During the dry, winter months my hands get dry, crack and sometimes bleed (especially when I used to work quite a bit with fiberglass and cleaned resin off of my hands using acetone -stoopid, I know).  The bag balm, as greasy as it is, makes my hands feel better.  I have heard some folks pee on their feet to help with the fungus.  I am not sure how appropriate that would be for the fungus on your hands but...

Caveman

firefighter ontheside

Oh man!  You know I did not create this thread for you guys to outdo me.
When I saw that glove, I was surprised to see gauze in the shape of 5 normal length fingers.  Glad it was not worse.  I was told not use gloves years ago, but I used to.  I've not had a real injury on the TS other than hit in the gut with a small piece.  Still, 2 years ago I invested in a sawstop to prevent what seemed would be inevitable at some point.  I'm glad I bought before I became afraid of the saw.  The great thing is that it's an awesome tablesaw with 3hp.  I accidentally tested the safety system with my miter gauge and not my fingers.  The good news is that it fired just as promised.  The bad news it cost me almost $300 for a new cartridge and new dado blade set.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

I have the contractor saw version of the sawstop for some reason ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

If you want to upgrade, you can get close to new price when selling your current saw.  Sawstops are not on the resale market much.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!