The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 95279 times)

DReel and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #740 on: June 03, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »
That burn looked bad enough.  You just had to add insult to injury!  Isnít that always the way.  If youíre injured, you can always manage to hit that exact spot again.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #741 on: June 03, 2020, 10:17:13 PM »
Murphy is a cruel SOB!  He enforces laws on those with greatest likelihood of pain!  
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #742 on: June 03, 2020, 10:18:56 PM »
Glad it was  after supper, when I saw that post. Of all the spots to hit...

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #743 on: June 03, 2020, 10:41:28 PM »
@Old Greenhorn is now off the hook and I can take his spot. ::) ::) ::) :(

This was a right new glove.

I've always said my WM is safer than a tablesaw and I can prove that now.

I was cutting the corner off a bench leg on my tablesaw set at a 45 degree angle. Made the first cut and the cut off piece was on the table and I reached for it. I don't know if it hit the blade and snatched my hand into the running saw or I just dumbly stuck it into the blade. That stopped all forward progress for the day!

To the house, called wife up to go to the ER 8 miles away. Got there with my hand wrapped in paper towels, through the C-19 check and got checked in. About 90 minutes later with 10 stitches in the ring and middle finger and a fingernail on my index finger headed to the great manicure shop in the sky, a tetanus booster, an antibiotic shot and an 800 mg Motrin and I was done. We got to the pharmacy just before they closed and got 5 days worth of antibiotics and a special sleeve to keep the fingers dry. I considered trying 3 condoms over them but decided the gauze on the bottom would wick up the water. They X-rayed for foreign object and to confirm no broken bones. Deep but did not get quite get to the bone.

The doctor on call tonight was a lady doctor from Sudan. She was very pleasant with a good bedside manner and we did some refresher Arabic I thought I'd forgotten and she was not expecting to hear in a rural WV community. I am very well pleased with her performance at this point.

I'll see my regular doctor/PA on Friday for a check up to make sure no infection and get it re-dressed. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #744 on: June 03, 2020, 11:00:25 PM »
Ah man! I am so sick to see that. So very sorry that happened to you. That just sucks. Glad you kept your fingers.
 My son saw me running the table saw a couple of months ago and chastised me for pulling out those little strips. He was pretty firm with me, he said "my teacher taught me to NEVER do that, and my teacher was RIGHT." It's rare for him to 'correct me', but he knew I don't argue with someone when they are right.
 I am more careful now. He WAS right. Of course you know this too. Just really sorry it happened to you. That will take a while to heal. Keep it clean and dry (I know you know this too. FF translation: Don't put them fingers back to work before they are ready.
 Funny, but when I looked at your octagonal leg I thought "hey, that looks nice, but it must be a pain to cut on a table saw." I just never expected it to be THAT much pain. Rest up and heal up. 
 Oh and thanks for taking my spot on this thread. Sorry you gave up so much to do that.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #745 on: June 03, 2020, 11:26:43 PM »
Well that's just great!  I bet you still cannot play the piano!   :)  glad you are gonna be ok, FF translation, it could have been worse!  best wishes for a speedy recovery!  Doc.  Just be sure when they are almost healed, not to cut them in the same spot with another saw!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #746 on: June 03, 2020, 11:31:32 PM »
I hope you have a speedy recovery 👍

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #747 on: June 04, 2020, 12:07:50 AM »
WV, you showed a picture of a tore up glove.  Were you wearing that while using the saw? :-X

I was always taught that you NEVER wear gloves around rotating equipment.  Too easy to get snagged and pulled into it.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #748 on: June 04, 2020, 06:16:57 AM »
That is not good!!!  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #749 on: June 04, 2020, 07:16:23 AM »
Da glove man, da glove.  Can it be saved?  Stitches, transplant ??  Ya gotta do something to save da glove.  :o

Oh and about da fingers, they will heal kinda OK and the pain will go away as soon as it quits hurting.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #750 on: June 04, 2020, 07:34:23 AM »
I had a jointer grab my glove on my left hand last year.  Pulled my hand into the cutterhead.  I should not have been wearing gloves.  If the cutterhead had not grabbed the loose finger part of the glove, I would not have lost the end of my finger ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #751 on: June 04, 2020, 08:49:44 AM »
As odd as it sounds I think you are very lucky, could have been way worse. Take care!

Table saws scare the heck out of me but I still use one so I try to be extra careful.

What I try to follow:
No gloves, loose clothing etc.
No reaching over a spinning blade (I start and stop the blade a lot).
Stand to one side to avoid kick back.
Use push stick.
Clear tripping hazards.

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #752 on: June 04, 2020, 08:51:54 AM »
OH Man!  Not good. Sorry to read this Howard.  When I saw the glove I was expectibg a lot worse result.  Sorry for your injury.  Heal quick!   
You are gonna be wanting to do stuff, but don push it.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #753 on: June 04, 2020, 08:52:50 AM »
 Lynn,

The glove probably can't be saved. :( Another HF $1.89 down the drain. ::) Yes I was wearing it at the time and yes it may have been a contributing factor. Unfortunately lately I have had some sort of fungus or such on both hands and if I am not careful and let them dry out they crack at the seams so bad they bleed so keeping plenty of lotion on them and wearing gloves has allowed me to function. I guess that will be a topic of discussion with the doctor's follow up visit tomorrow (That just changed to today) and we will see. So you are saying it will feel good when it quits hurting - that is good to know. ???

OGH,

The octagon legs really are easy to make just watch those cutoff pieces. BTW - I am ready to hand off the goat spot to anybody else who is willing to take it. Of course if my wife ever figures out how to send the pre-stitches photo off her phone nobody else may want the spot.

Doc,

Now you've got me really upset 'cause the doctor told me I'd be playing the piano by the end of the month and I told her that was great because I never could play it before. :D I was surprised to find a Muslim lady doc from Sudan because of the politics with that country. Just goes to show there are great people everywhere if we can just get past the politics.

H366 - you are spot on. Any of those suggestions would have prevented this.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #754 on: June 04, 2020, 09:02:26 AM »
I try and avoid painful experiences, therefor I have no intention of competing with you fellows.
Hope your pains go away soon.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline K-Guy

• Share Post
    • http://www.nyle.com/
« Reply #755 on: June 04, 2020, 09:19:15 AM »
WV Sawmiller
My dad lost a finger tip in similar fashion when he was in his early 70's. Just because you can't see the tip of a running table saw blade, it's still there.

ps In my travels(much less than yours unfortunately) around planet earth I have been lucky enough to meet good decent people everywhere. Locations change, people don't.
Nyle Kiln Sales & Service
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of
 the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #756 on: June 04, 2020, 09:30:10 AM »
Lynn,

... Unfortunately lately I have had some sort of fungus or such on both hands and if I am not careful and let them dry out they crack at the seams so bad they bleed so keeping plenty of lotion on them and wearing gloves has allowed me to function. I guess that will be a topic of discussion with the doctor's follow up visit tomorrow (That just changed to today) and we will see. So you are saying it will feel good when it quits hurting - that is good to know. ???

OGH,

...  BTW - I am ready to hand off the goat spot to anybody else who is willing to take it. Of course if my wife ever figures out how to send the pre-stitches photo off her phone nobody else may want the spot.

Howard, regarding that skin condition, over the years I have had something similar particularly in miserable winters when I am working a lot in the weather). Are you familiar with Bag Balm? It is a paste/lotion used on a cows udder to keep the skin healthy and has some ingredients that help fight infection and cracking. When things get bad, that is my go-to. Available in most farm supply stores. 
 Regarding somebody taking up the spot of last in the list...Nobody wants that, but SOMEBODY has to do it, just not intentionally.
 Sorry about your glove, maybe you can get a grant from the government to help overcome the financial impact? I have been using those mechanics type gloves in the shop. They fit tighter and allow more dexterity. I buy them in the fall when HD has them in a big barrel, 3 pairs for $17 or so. Those 3 used to last a year, now they last about 8 months. They are snug and not too hot and help me eliminate a lot of little cuts. Of course I did not have them on yesterday when I cut myself because I did not want to get sap on them. :D :D :D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline DWyatt

• Share Post
« Reply #757 on: June 04, 2020, 09:39:28 AM »
Oh and about da fingers, they will heal kinda OK and the pain will go away as soon as it quits hurting. 

This reminds me of my Gramps. Whenever someone would hurt themselves, he would smile and say, "You know, the good thing is that it'll feel better when it quits hurting."

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #758 on: June 04, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »
Oww. Glad it wasn't worse!
I'll just pipe up to say, tight fitting or not, no gloves around spinning machines. You can pull out if it gets skin, cloth can suck you in.

Corn Huskers lotion is another one we used tree planting, not as greasy as bag balm. Pine tar soaps and salves have some magical properties from the resin as well.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #759 on: June 04, 2020, 10:20:17 AM »
  Okay, because of all the concern about the glove I went back and cut the fingers off the other one and my wife is sewing them on right now so we may be able to save it after all. (Not so sure what to do about the other one now - maybe it fits in with a new fashion trend.)

I am familiar with bag balm and think I have heard of the corn huskers lotion so depending on what my PA gives me today I may pick up some BB and CHL on my next trip to TSC. (They are in the same lot with HF where I need to go for the gloves ::).) I was going to the doctor tomorrow but when we called for an appointment she said come today - I think she is off tomorrow.)
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
How dumb can I be? VERY!

Started by tmbrcruiser on Sawmills and Milling

27 Replies
Last post April 14, 2017, 09:22:37 PM
by Magicman