iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy, Joewood and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dirtmotor

When I took metal and wood shop in school we had to go to the employment office and take a mechanical aptitude test before we could take the classes , my senior year they decided that was discrimination,
Wow the chuck keys started then , along with hair being ripped out by about every piece of equipment in the shop . I really felt for long time shop teacher Elmo Scott , he resigned that same year .

WV Sawmiller

As far as I know before this bug hit and the local high school closed they were still teaching shop here or industrial arts or whatever the new term is. The kids would build a small house on big metal I-beams that could be transported and reassembled. When finished they'd auction it off and start on the next one. They learned carpentry, plumbing, electrical, roofing, etc and I thought was great practical experience. We have had trouble keeping shop teachers lately. One quit a few years ago 6 weeks before school end. The sub was not certified in shop so she could not let them use the tools. I talked with her and she set it up for me to bring the mill and saw a few logs and we had a real good time at it,
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

How dumb do we have to be to play?

YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Hilltop366

Thats right up there with a high lift jack handle.

I noticed that you got your face right in there in the "proper" position before you let the handle go.

Jeff

I wated to punch back but I still have a 6x12x16 ridge beam to hoist.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Now where is that FF policy on ladders again? :D Glad not to see anyone taking a tumble. whiteflag_smiley
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Don't get mad at me. I am not being a safety nazi, its just that I noticed the rear left tire [EDIT: that should say rear right) on your ATV looks pretty low. You might want to check on that. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 08, 2020, 09:29:39 PM
  Now where is that FF policy on ladders again? :D Glad not to see anyone taking a tumble. whiteflag_smiley
Right, I was waiting for a ladder to fall and totally missed the winch handle until I watched it again.  Jeff, that qualifies for sure.  Ouch.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

Ouch!!! Everything was looking good until that in the video. I bet you had a few words come out. Lucky! Could have been worse. You can take it your a lean mean dude now after all the weight you lost 👍

Nebraska

I inadvertently practiced sho Shi Ban on a mostly firewood log pile. A spark blew out of my waste barrel that I burned last Thursday. The wind was really bad out of the South and it was hot. I drove by the pile on my way to the office after eating lunch around 1:00  didn't smell anything hot or see any smoke from the barrel. Was by it multiple times the day before never noticed anything. Son got home from work about 5:00 and called to ask me if that pile was supposed to be burning. I beat it out of the office and home.  Called the fire in told the dispatch it was just a pile of firewood logs  and nothing was in trouble they sent a couple trucks out any way. 

I have a hydrant not far from there, and had got hose strung saved, some logs, a spruce and some red cedar, it messed up a bunch of this year's firewood, but  It could have been much worse! I should've checked that barrel over the weekend and made sure it was burnt out, so my bad. I suppose the double vortex design ;D would've  burnt it more efficiently. It was a long evening after it got mostly out I started cleaning up. Put a sprinkler on the pile over night for good measure.  I 've got a few logs to fish out of the pond but hey a bath was a good way to put them out. The local fire department brought the grass fire truck out and a couple  new volunteers got some live fire hose training. So some good came of it. I lost some fire wood and some barn beams I had just stashed there but nothing all that important. Maybe I'll build a burnt edge bench or two. ::) 

Jeff's video really made me cringe,  looked like the hoist system was working well, to a point.

Old Greenhorn

Woodpiles can be a real pain to put out, I imagine a log pile is only slightly easier. We had a structure fire one time on a remote house, the house was in the foundation by the time it was called in, so not much to save there, but protect the adjacent house (the wood siding was starting to steam, then smoke, the windows had already cracked, once we had that under control we realized the was about 5 cords of wood stacked behind the house that was now gone and the radiant heat had started that burning. There was still a very dangerous 3 story chimney standing by itself so accessing the woodpile was a hazard and the pile took a long time to pull apart and get to it all and get it out (we don't like going back for re-kindles). I think we worked as hard on that woodpile as we did on everything else, including chopping through the ice to get water from their pond.
 Glad all you lost was a little wood and an evening. That is a blessing.
 By the way, when I ran burn barrels (illegal here now) I would always throw a piece of steel window screening over the top of the barrel when I was done. I thought it would keep the fly ash down and in the barrel.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

thecfarm

Lots of green grass will slow down a fire. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

Yes to that had my tractors pto been working right I would have at least had windrows of hay there probably bales much  more flammable than green brome. It was due to cut last week.

Walnut Beast

Glad to here you caught it. It's a good it wasn't in the fall

firefighter ontheside

Yep, good thing that grass was green or it would have been a lot more exciting for you and for the new firefighters.  Piles of burning anything are always a challenge.  Long time ago we went to a fire at a pallet yard.  There was a mountain of mulched wood that had to be 80' tall all on fire.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Jeff on June 08, 2020, 09:18:34 PM
How dumb do we have to be to play?

YouTube
When you got hit was that the tension on the rope before it engaged in the cog ? Hope your feeling better 👍

Old Greenhorn

@Jeff , you are a bad influence.  ;D I put a too large log on the mill too late in the day and nearly killed myself getting it turned right and the first side opened. I was still sucking air and soaked with sweat when I decided to shut down for the day. As I was pulling the tarp over it, the tarp hooked on the winch handle and in my state of exhaustion I just gave the handle a  whack to  swing it downt to the low position. It came around and managed to find my chin. Now I'm sweating heavy and sucking wind AND can't see straight. :D
 I'd like to say it's your fault, but I know better.

Don P

"You'll have some of that on these big jobs"

Had a nurse one time doing something, she saw me wince and said "I didn't feel a thing" perfect delivery and cracked me up :D

WV Sawmiller

Okay - a gory update. Went to see my PA today to get the stitches out and when she looked at the injured digits she decided it was too early to take them out. It has been 9 days today since the injury. I was wondering if it wasn't a little early. She set me up an appointment to come back Tuesday. The middle finger is still showing some dead fish color from infection. She gave me a shot of antibiotic and oral antibiotic for a week. She said to remove the bandages, wash it good with soap and water, let it air out an hour or so then redress it pretty much as before. I'm thinking the fingernail on the middle finger is not the total loss I expected. May actually retain the left half of the one on my index fingers.

I still can't close my fingers but some of that may be from the swelling and being immobilized for over a week. I know there are worse things but I would not wish this on anyone. In all honesty the pain has been relatively minimal. Maybe I suffer from long term shock syndrome. ???

Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I see her concerns. I am no Doc, but it looks like that needs to dry up a bit. That soft white skin is not ready. I think it might not be getting enough air on a daily basis. But heck, with some airing out I bet it is good to go in a day or two. Just keep that puppy clean. I know, waiting sucks.
 My finger burn finally healed up a few days ago from the secondary cut I added. I am in good shape now, you will be in better shape in a few days. Did I mention you should just keep it clean? I think, as bad as it may look, you got really lucky.

WV Sawmiller

The best part for me is being able to remove the bandage and gently wash it good with soap and warm water then I leave it open to the air 30-45 minutes then bandage and splint it again. Hopefully that is going to be enough drying time. I guess we will see tomorrow night how much difference it made.
Howard Green

jeepcj779

H2O2 is your friend. Pour or liberally dab onto your problem areas. Might sting a bit, but it will work on the dead stuff and sanitize a bit. Dab it dry, then let it breath until it dries for a while. Works for me on damp wounds (not a doctor, and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn recently). Hope you get healed up soon.

doc henderson

I agree on letting it dry out.  exposed to air is not dangerous, and did not cause infection. the white skin may be macerated (think wrinkled skin soaking in the bath tub)  peroxide is good for removing blood and scab.  if the one wound is open (looks like the stitches pulled out)  you do not want it in the wound as it denatures protein and can damage good tissue.  part of the finger flexion is swelling and if you try too hard it can open up the lacerations.  stitches come out usually in 10 days, and beyond that they are usually not doing much.  next week they could take them out, and then reinforce with steri strips maybe.  If one opens up, it will heal by secondary intention (scar in) and that can reduce function in a finger.  so be patient and let it air out a little more.  that's my 200 bucks worth (inflated from the usual 2 cents)  :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Did not look long at the picture, I will let others do that.  :)  I do want to wish you luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

In a dumb move, not paying attention moving logs with the tractor, I backed into the corner of my lumber building hitting it on the corner with the box blade :-\.  Hurt my feelings more than it hurt the building. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!