iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtim and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Southside

So apparently a photo of the event exists! At least part of it. Here is the defeated Doc Holiday and his conquerer Kristina, I am at the end of my rope just out of the picture.   

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

You know if you take your backhoe and dig a pit and put the cow's feed in a bucket at the bottom so she goes down there to feed  Doc Holiday may be able to consummate the act with Big Nose Kate and you can get your boot back. Hey, it works with big tall mares and short donkeys for mule raising.  :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Walnut Beast

That's awesome. Cute little guy

samandothers

Southside, 
I did not laugh too hard.  The trip back to the boot must have been kinda anti climatic after the pull through the cow pie. 

samandothers

My dumb thing fortunately did not cause blood letting or injury!  I should have known better though. 

So recently I had hydraulic hoses made for my grapple.  The old ones were cracking, and I had a leak near the cylinder and decided time to replace the hoses.  I installed the new ones and used it for the first time under load yesterday, Friday.  I was moving some stumps and brush piles.  Near the end of my task the grapple would not close.  I pulled the tractor in the barn to get out of the sun.  I tried to operate the grapple and saw hydraulic fluid spraying, but the grapple did not budge.

After determining the line that failed I disconnected the line coupling from the tractor and removed the grapple from the tractor via the quick attach.  With the tractor out of the way I thought this will be simple.  I removed the piece of fire hose protecting the lines and the cover over the cylinder so I could unscrew the hose.  Well as I mentioned the grapple would not close.  However, when you unscrew the connector from the cylinder thus allowing the fluid to escape, which is under the pressure from the weight of the gripping claw, it does!  I had a nice hydraulic fluid shower.   Shorts, boots, legs, and lower part of my shirt were soaked.  Dumb!  Off to the nearby creek with some Dawn soap to get most of the mess off.  Bagged the clothes for the trip home.  We were in Va. and home is Charlotte NC area currently.

To help end the day right on the way home it rained most of the way.  We reached the 485 loop around Charlotte and had a flat on driver rear of the truck.  This was about 9 pm in the rain with the 3 lanes of traffic and I pulled over just of the end of a merging ramp.  The actual tire changing was not bad, but it took much longer than necessary to get the tire to drop from under the truck.  The tub that helps guide the rod end to couple with the mechanism that lowers the tire had come loose.  So up under the rear of the truck I go.  Did I mention the rain?   I manipulated the tube finally into position so I could get the rod on the lowering mechanism and lowered the tire.  Mean while my loving bride was freaking out over the rain, dark, traffic whizzing by and merging.  Freaking out may be strong, she was genuinely concerned for my well-being.

All good now! made it home and had a nice warm shower. Sitting here visiting the forum with adult beverage in hand. 

WDH

Chris Jim,

The clothesline behind Ms Kristina needs to be re-hung. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nebraska

That's just short cow fence.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

The roped bull reminds me of the dumb thing I did a few weeks ago.  I wanted to set up some temporary fencing so that I could have my goats do some brush clearing.  I decided to get some orange construction fencing and some t posts.  I put it up and connected to some of my other existing fences.  Well the goats are smart enough to know where they should try to escape, but not smart enough to not get stuck in the fence.  I heard them calling frantically and knew something was wrong.  I found them both caught in the fencing.  If you've ever caught a northern pike on a big lure with treble hooks and then used a net to boat the fish, you know how the fish will roll up in the net and get all the hooks hopelessly tangled in the net.  Well, that's what goats with big horns are like in the orange fence.  I haven't tried it again.  I will, but with more thought.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

EOTE

Quote from: samandothers on July 11, 2020, 12:15:28 AMAfter determining the line that failed I disconnected the line coupling from the tractor and removed the grapple from the tractor via the quick attach.  With the tractor out of the way I thought this will be simple.  I removed the piece of fire hose protecting the lines and the cover over the cylinder so I could unscrew the hose.  Well as I mentioned the grapple would not close.  However, when you unscrew the connector from the cylinder thus allowing the fluid to escape, which is under the pressure from the weight of the gripping claw, it does!  I had a nice hydraulic fluid shower.   Shorts, boots, legs, and lower part of my shirt were soaked.  Dumb!  Off to the nearby creek with some Dawn soap to get most of the mess off.  Bagged the clothes for the trip home.  We were in Va. and home is Charlotte NC area currently.

That's as funny as my hydraulic hose failure years ago as a diesel mechanic...The owner of the ag equipment shop asked me to demonstrate the new Kubota 25 hp tractor and loader to a customer.  He is standing there in his beautiful western suit and boots and explaining all the features to the customer while I am operating the loader.  One of the hoses burst on the loader and you guessed it...my boss in his nice suit was drenched in oil.  The customer thought it was a hoot and laughed his as_ off!  I think he ended up buying the tractor too (after the hose was replaced).
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

richhiway

You can change tires a lot faster if you throw a battery powered impact in your tool kit. I picked up the ryobi and it came with a handy little air compressor for $99.00. Came in handy for me! Treat those hydraulic lines like a poisonous snake. They can inject oil thru your skin and if that oil is hot burn the heck out of you.
Everyone take care.

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

samandothers

EOTE,
At least my clothes were work shorts and shirt!  I had to snicker at myself for not being up wind of the fitting.  IF there happens to be a next time I hope I remember this experience.

richhiway,
Fortunately I had a good cross style wrench in the truck that worked well, and the nuts were not overly tight.  My biggest issue and time waster was trying to get the spare out from under the truck.  I will take a look at the tube that goes over the raising and lowering mechanism to what is up with it.  

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: samandothers on July 11, 2020, 04:08:10 PMFortunately I had a good cross style wrench in the truck that worked well, and the nuts were not overly tight.  My biggest issue and time waster was trying to get the spare out from under the truck.  I will take a look at the tube that goes over the raising and lowering mechanism to what is up with it.  

It's best to practice lowering that spare the driveway once in a while.

I have an F350 and went to rotate tires couldnt get the spare down. Extension rod and adapter just wouldnt grab anything.  Squirted quite a bit of PB blaster down the tube.  Shone a light in there looked like a rubber bushing thought maybe something in there went bad.

I was sort of fuzzy mentally about what was supposed to be in the tube, and had had enough,  so cut the cable to get the spare off.  Then pulled off the plastic tube. Some stuff fell out but didnt take notice since it was raining rust on me anyway, so proceeded to undo the winch to have a look at it.

Lying there on the ground I slowly  started getting that feeling I was about to learn something.  This feeling turned into the realization that the acorn under my head sort of looked like the rubber  I saw when I shone the flashlight down the tube.  Picked it up and sure enough it was soaked with PB blaster. DANG if a chipmunk hadn't stored his goodies down that tube. :D :D :D

I guess cutting off the winch cable qualifies as dumb, but it wasnt today. Hope that's ok. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Texas Ranger

Seems like I really haven't had a day if I did nothing wrong. :-\
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

samandothers

Luckily while on side of the road I was able to shine a light down in the tube to see well  enough that the end of the tube was moving.  I continued to fiddle with it until the rod end engaged the drive.
I looked today after a trip to the tire shop and found where the tube connected to the wench over the square drive head had come loose and was free to move around.  The end had two plastic snaps that engage the wench.  I don't have much confidence it will remain snapped.  Hopefully next time I'll remember how to over come the issue.  If it had been full of rodent dinner I would have had an issue!
I shared with both my kids what happened and gave them a heads up to have a good headlamp in their vehicle so they can be hands free and not rely on a cell phone flashlight.  Also suggested they do a trial run on their trucks.

Not sure why the crazy font... when I cut or paste some stuff this occasionally happens.

Nebraska

I wonder how many of us have gotten mad at a spare and just cut the cable off so we could get going. I've been there.

GAB

Quote from: Nebraska on July 12, 2020, 03:15:06 PM
I wonder how many of us have gotten mad at a spare and just cut the cable off so we could get going. I've been there.
So have I.  A 2003 silverado.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Nebraska

2001 Suburban, 06 Yukon. I should check my pickup 2011, and see if it's working. Haven't needed it yet....

Walnut Beast

Quote from: GAB on July 12, 2020, 03:17:30 PM
Quote from: Nebraska on July 12, 2020, 03:15:06 PM
So have I.  A 2003 silverado.
GAB
😂😂 Yep! 2001 suburban blew a tire several years ago and had to cut the spare tire cable (Dewalt oscillating tool with carbide cutter worked pretty good) 😂

Banjo picker

Guys at MDOT cut one off our pickups, because they didn't know there was a little key gizmo that had to go on the end of the jack rod.  It was in the glove box in a plastic bag.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

trapper

stringing extension cord for light by sawmill yesterday saw a wasp nest under edge of roof of polebarn.  Decided to take care of it this morning. Got out old can of spray and it didnt have much pressure so I got out a stepladder to get close so spray would reach.  Close enough one got me on right hand ring finger.  sprayed nest and stepladder tiped over.   Had a good handhold on 2x12 between poles and was able to get foot behind pole and another on tipped ladder. got down with only a lightly skinned knuckel.  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Chuck White

Remember the Forestry Forum rules concerning LADDERS!

You got lucky!

Glad to hear it wasn't any worse!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Thank you for the baton pass! I have carried it long enough and far enough lately. :D

Sorry you got dinged up and glad it was not worse. I find a leaf blower works could to locate and defend yourself against wasps.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I lost my sawmill key today.  Only one that I had :).  How careless and stupid.  Now I am down and cannot saw. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

Okay, I'm beginning to feel Murphy sneaking around!  I've been relatively dumb stuff free for too long!  On top of that I'm launching a boat and trailering it at least a couple times every week.  So those of you who understand, pray for me!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!