iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

@WDH is it a "real" key or one of the "one size fits all" small engine keys?  can you run a jumper to run, and use a screwdriver to start in the mean time?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

donbj

Quote from: WDH on July 17, 2020, 09:22:10 PM
I lost my sawmill key today.  Only one that I had :).  How careless and stupid.  Now I am down and cannot saw.
Oh yes you can. If necessary hot wire and away you go
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Don P

Quote from: SawyerTed on July 17, 2020, 09:27:33 PM
Okay, I'm beginning to feel Murphy sneaking around!  I've been relatively dumb stuff free for too long!  On top of that I'm launching a boat and trailering it at least a couple times every week.  So those of you who understand, pray for me!
All I'm gonna say is don't forget the plug  :D

My last few weeks have been involved in saving money during this strange time. The Honda threw an engine light and code and was running, if it can be called that, very rough. The code said "leaking intake gasket" which is also code for the much more common ailment on that engine "you just burned an exhaust valve". So $200 of gaskets, a new valve and several days of digging the head out and 6 slightly leaky but tolerable exhaust valves. I lapped and got everything snugged up, only misaligned the cams once and had to do that alignment again. The thing was built by children with tiny contortionist hands, buttoned up and ran, exactly the same. Well dang, a throttle position sensor can do that, Honda in its infinite wisdom used breakaway screws on that to hopefully make you buy a whole new manifold, that ain't happening, so drilled/ground them off and replaced, and it ran exactly the same, DANG!, well O2 sensors, disassemble half of console to get to the connector, nope! The latest round of reloading the parts canon, new distributor arrived yesterday, the current one is only about 5000 miles old but new electrical parts have been consistently inconsistent the last few years... here goes nothing. Glad I'm saving all this money :D.

Resonator

If anyone can find a key, it's Danny! smiley_guitarist smiley_guitarist 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

goose63

Quote from: SawyerTed on July 17, 2020, 09:27:33 PM
Okay, I'm beginning to feel Murphy sneaking around!  I've been relatively dumb stuff free for too long!  On top of that I'm launching a boat and trailering it at least a couple times every week.  So those of you who understand, pray for me!
Long time age we put the boat in the water had a beer cooked hot dogs and berggers the boat was full of water it helps if you put the plug in first
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Hilltop366

WDH perhaps the key from your lawnmower would fit......or maybe you just want the weekend off.

Murphy,

There is a guy that launched his boat at the local park and then pulled his Bronco and trailer up on to the ramp and went for a boat ride, when he returned to the ramp his Bronco and trailer was gone and just as he was thinking someone stole his vehicle he hit something with the boat motor and thought that was odd I've never hit a rock here before and why are their lights under the water?

firefighter ontheside

I lost my sawmill key today.  Only one that I had :).  How careless and stupid.  Now I am down and cannot saw.
Danny, my 9 year old who has a problem with touching things he shouldnt lost my key a few weeks ago.  I looked around a while, but then thought about my zero turn which also has a kohler command engine.  The key worked perfectly.  Later I talked to Sean about the key and found it on the ground where he had been playing with it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: trapper on July 17, 2020, 12:05:15 PM
stringing extension cord for light by sawmill yesterday saw a wasp nest under edge of roof of polebarn.  Decided to take care of it this morning. Got out old can of spray and it didnt have much pressure so I got out a stepladder to get close so spray would reach.  Close enough one got me on right hand ring finger.  sprayed nest and stepladder tiped over.   Had a good handhold on 2x12 between poles and was able to get foot behind pole and another on tipped ladder. got down with only a lightly skinned knuckel.  
This would have been great video for americas funniest videos.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GAB

Danny:
Check the washer and the dryer.
Just a suggestion!
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

Not that it helps but I keep my keep on my main ring with my truck and house keys so pretty hard to lose. I did break one one time and took my spare to the local hardware and they had a blank to cut a spare. I was surprised but pleased they had the blank. 

Don't get me started on the drain plug. Been there and done that too often. I once thought about inventing a floating flapper type valve/gate that automatically floats up and closes the drain when that happens. It could even drop down and drain the boat while traveling on plane. I never got around to it but if anybody here wants to capitalize on the idea go ahead - just send me any the money the idea makes. :D Its actually a brilliant idea even if some of you don't realize it. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

some of the race sailboats have them through the bottom.  in my old sail boats, if you got up some speed you could pull the rear plug and get water out.  you always want to pay close attention to be sure the water depth is getting less and not more.  and for sure do not drop the plug overboard or have a spare if you are out in the middle of the lake.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

I worked at a marina if you could call it that for a short time, the owner didn't have all his apples in one box. One day he backed a customers trailer into the water, the boat didn't float off so backed in further. Still no joy so he kept going! The trailer dropped off the end of the ramp so now he is stuck. He put the Land Rover in low range and hammered it, the boat and trailer came out but the axle was still in the mud. He yelled at me for not ensuring the plug was installed, I got in my car and left.
owner
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

@sawguy21 ,

I thought you were fixing to tell us he forgot to unhook the tie downs. :D (Don't ask me how I thought of that. ::))

@doc henderson ,

A few months after we first married I took my wife fishing at my dad's place in N. Fla. The stern plug was so worn it would work its way out. Not being mechanically inclined enough to tighten the screw in the end to swell the gaskets a fudge I would first crank up the little outboard and get up on plane till the water ran out then put the plug back in. I finally cut a stick long enough to wedge between the plug and a cross piece on the boat which worked the rest of the day. We fished till dark then were returning by moonlight. I had my wife sit in the bottom of the boat so I could see any Vee ahead indicating a snag. I rounded a curve too close and ran completely aground on a sandbar and the gallon or so of water left in the bottom of the boat rushed forward and wet her butt. I love her dearly but I must confess my wife has a tendency to get excited and exacerbate the problem. She jumped up and started screaming "We're sinking, we're sinking." I told her "Sit down. We can't sink. We're aground!" The water could not have been 3" deep. I had to take my boots off and push us back into water deep enough to float us off."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

Inflatable boats like Zodiac and others are self bailing.  They have a one way valve that is just as @WV Sawmiller describes.  While on plane it lets water out.  The trouble is they can be a little leaky, so if you sit in one place for a long time it will take on a bit of water.  We had trouble with one of our rescue boats.  If we left it pulled up to shore for a long time it would take on water.  Took a few minutes at plane to drain it all out.  

When I worked on Saganaga Lake in MN we would drive the boats all the time with the plug out to drain water.  Once I was doing this and pulled up alongside the game warden's boat just to talk and forgot I had the drain out.  We talked until I realized I had taken on about 8 inches of water.  I all of a sudden said I gotta go and took off.  It took me an hour to get all that water out since the 9.9 merc would not go that fast in the first place.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

@WV Sawmiller if you were already married, no real reason to get a flat tire, run out of gas, or run aground.   ;) :) :D  .  the trouble in a sail boat is they tend to lean a bit depending on the tack you are on.  something called the pendulum effect gets worse as the water increases.  not fun unless you want to practice righting your boat and retrieving all your stuff that floats, and saying good bye to the stuff that does not.  sail_smiley

Nebraska

Reminds me of when I was a boy maybe twelve years old . Dad and I went to the lake to go fishing. We hadn't been out very long and dad starting swearing (odd for him) reel it up! OK I starting reeling in the line we were trolling and I had plenty out and my lure was bouncing on top of the water as dad took off back to the boat ramp. We beached the boat and dad trotted up to the truck and found the  new boat plug on his dash. He returned with his stainless steel veterinary pump and bloat hose  and I got to take a turn at pumping the water out of the boat. I think of that every time I go out in a boat.

Old Greenhorn

Well I suppose it has come back around to my turn. ;D Nothing spectacular, so save your popcorn. I had a customer over today buying pine and of course he wanted the 2x4's on the bottom under the 2x10's. We moved everything he picked his boards and made a pile and I ran up the numbers but he started to negotiate which didn't make me none too happy. The lumber was sutff I had salvaged from logs for my own use and there were several bad sections, so I figured what the heck. I had already cut 20% for the defects I saw, but he tried to get more. Anyway, we settled on a price and I asked him to help me restack and sticker the pile. He came over to grab a hand, but before he could I grabbed a 2x10x12 in the middle reaching over from the side of the pile and placed it in the center of the drying skid. That weight, with my back fully bent and fully extended, did me in. This was just a stupid move, I know better and had help right there, but I did it all by myself. I was done right there. Took me 20 minutes to close up. He left and I came in the house trying to find a comfortable position, but there was none. Laid on the floor for an hour, no good. Laid in the bed until I fell alseep for a couple of hours, still no relief. Finally called my Chiro and have an appt for tomorrow afternoon. I am walking VERY slowly with a cane and it even hurts just watching TV.
 Guess I am out of it for a few days at least.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

OGH,

Sorry to hear that and hope the RD can pop everything back into place. I did a neighbor a favor the other day when he wanted ash 2X12X15 for stringers. He wanted 2X12X12 but all I had was 15 so he accepted that. He did not have a truck or trailer and less than 1/4 mile away so I agreed to deliver. I dug through my stack and got 2 nice boards and took them to him only to find he just wanted one. I guess he just needed treads but when he said stringers I automatically assumed he needed a pair and ended bringing one back. They are heavy and I was careful to just load one end at a time so I can feel for you lifting the whole weight.

My dumb move today was not up to my usual standard and really more of a near miss. I pulled my 5X8 trailer to the front yard with my little JD 750 tractor and ran it out of fuel. I had a full can in my boat house and kept meaning to stop by and get it but never got around to it even when I had the tractor right there Tuesday sawing a customer's white oak. Did you know diesel engines don't like running dry. Fortunately I was able to get mine restarted and it wasn't entirely vapor locked this time. 

I was bringing the trailer to go get my ATV out of the shop which I did so now when I want to do something dumb I can really do something up to my usual standards. ::)
Howard Green

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

I've heard that you don't want to run a diesel dry, so I have done my best not to do it.  I'm successful so far.  I'm pretty good about not letting my truck get low.  Luckily my tractor has a pretty accurate fuel gauge. I'm afraid if that gauge ever quits working, I might run my first diesel out of fuel.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

RussMaGuss

I have a Deere 328 and my dad has beaten it into to me to never ever ever run it out of diesel. Mine has a little manual fuel pump push button that i think is there if it ever siezes up but I sure as heck don't want to have the opportunity to use it 

Banjo picker

Bleed the lines and use heavy duty silicone to start one is what I do.  Some are worse than others. Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Don P

I have yet to have one of those little pumps work when needed. Usually a rag around a blower nozzle in the fill hole and a little air pressure in the tank will get it going again.

Tacotodd

Mine: A friend and I were splitting firewood. I can't aim a maul without breaking the handle to save my life, not to mention near the splitting power that my buddy has. Anyway, I'm standing the logs vertical for him cause he hates bending and I hate feeling worthless and doing nothing. So all is going well when one of the pieces of RO decides to almost explode and I caught a good size piece right in my left shin. With a few choice words said (none to my buddy because it was my fault for wrong place, wrong time) I limped out of the way and hobbled around trying to do SOMETHING, almost anything a temporary gimp could do. Anyway, that took place a week ago. It produced a very large goosegg on said shin. After 3 days of pain and no signs of reduced swelling or pain, I go to the doctor. Well I tell doc that I have a history of staphylococcus and she sees the swelling and the pain from said encounter. She prescribes me some antibiotics and I'm about a 1/4 of the way through the course of them. The pain is getting ever so slightly better maybe the swelling also. If I don't see any better sign of improvement after the course of meds has ran ( 3 times per day for 7 days ) I AM going back to have it re-evaluated. 

After 3 days my wife agrees with my assertation (spelling) that judgement of the swelling is better, but the pain so far is only marginally better. Hopefully, waiting will be my friend. We will see how it all goes. I will try to keep everyone updated on this minor problem of mine just because it makes me feel better! 

Bye for now.
Trying harder everyday.

samandothers

Misery loves company!

Hope pain goes away soon.

Thank You Sponsors!