iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Helping my daughter with a project.  She needed the board just a bit narower. told her I will run it over the jointer.  I was lucky just took the fingerprint off my thumb without breaking the skin.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

samandothers

WOW trapper that is too close for comfort!  Glad it was not worse.

WDH

I had one take the fingerprint off my little finger too, and half of the finger tip from the last little knuckle to the tip :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Well, my turn.  My pressure washer is sometimes difficult to start.  After you pull it a few times, it builds up pressure that needs to be relieved by pulling the trigger on the wand.  If not, the pull cord becomes difficult to pull and can recoil out of your hands.  Well, I pulled it one too many times and the thing got yanked out of my hand and the handle slapped my leg.  My lord did that sting.  That was an hour ago and I still have a perfect shape of the handle on my leg.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

K-Guy

FF I could of done without the visual! My eyes can't un-see it!  :o
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: K-Guy on August 20, 2020, 04:12:41 PM
FF I could of done without the visual! My eyes can't un-see it!  :o
What....I have hairy legs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Have you ever considered starring in a B-grade movie? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

JoshNZ

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 20, 2020, 12:21:12 PM
Well, my turn.  My pressure washer is sometimes difficult to start.  After you pull it a few times, it builds up pressure that needs to be relieved by pulling the trigger on the wand.  If not, the pull cord becomes difficult to pull and can recoil out of your hands.  Well, I pulled it one too many times and the thing got yanked out of my hand and the handle slapped my leg.  My lord did that sting.  That was an hour ago and I still have a perfect shape of the handle on my leg.
I'll quote that without the image  oz_smiley.
But thought I'd mention, I always start my pressure washer with the lance trigger/handle held open and half throttle with choke so it doesn't stall it. I don't even get one pull if I don't so I don't really have a choice but might be worth a try for you.
1) I've run my fingers over my jointer too hah... It did nothing at all. I think I pulled the knives later that day and sent them in for sharpening.
2) I rolled a stonker of a log off my trailer earlier this week, thinking I'd parked back far enough that it would hit a mound of soil and not roll past it. Well it missed. Carried on rolling towards the orchard and diesel bowser. In my panic the best solution I could come up with was to stab my log peavy into the ground in front of it, which of course it flattened like a twig. However much weight it takes to bend a log peavy laying on flat grass, that's how heavy this log is =(. Freshly painted high vis red too ='(.

Nebraska

Still better than toe pictures.....
Sorry about your peavy Josh. 

WV Sawmiller

And sure better than finger pix! ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GullyBog

This is hard to admit to.  I locked the keys in the work truck yesterday.  I have a spare, but it was in the center console.  That added an extra hour to the day.  FYI a chainsaw wedge is a great tool for prying open a door enough to get a wire in there.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

WV Sawmiller

Try that with a high security/hardened vehicle! ::) I did that in Iraq in one of our hardened SUVs. We had some Nat'l Guardsmen who were Policemen in Boston on site and they used wooden wedges like you described till they could get a wire in and push the door unlock button.
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

You guys are making me feel pretty good!
 Given the amount of work, tools, and hazards involved in my day, my goal was to not have anything to confess here tonight. Sadly, that is not entirely true.
 While between trees I was refueling the saw. Did the gas fine, Brandon drove by on the tractor as I was filling the oil, he asked me a question and I looked up and answered him, then put the cap on the oil jug and grabbed up the saw to go back to work.... as the oil ran down my leg. I never put the oil cap back in the saw.
 I am fairly happy that this was my dumbest move of the day (given the above posts, sympathy to all, especially FFOTS, that's gotta smart!). Sorry WDH I really wanted to stay off here tonight, but I have to be honest. I did have a lot of 'unexpected learning opportunities' today, but there were not injuries, close calls, or broken equipment, so they don't count, and shouldn't.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Wow! Over a month with nothing new here. Pretty amazing. 

Mine today was pretty petty considering previous postings but I pulled my riding mower  beside my truck yesterday to air up a tire using one of those cheap 12V air compressors. Aired up the tire then my mower would not start so I assumed weak battery. It has not been spinning to pert lately. I was in luck and the jumper cables were right under the seat and the battery on the truck was on the correct side so I hooked up but no luck after several tries. I even cranked the truck for more power. I saw sparks and pulled the jumper cables off but too late. I'd let the alligator clamp touch the 2 cables on the mower battery and had melted the insulation off both and even melted the negative post on the mower battery. No huge issue as wife had a Dr appointment this morning so I just rode over with her, then to Rural King, got a new battery and a couple of ring connectors then had to stop at a parts place and get a couple feet of #4 cable. I was able to just put a new ring on the negative cable on the mower and it just barely reached to post on the battery then I cut and spliced about 10" of new #4 cable on the positive cable. Fortunately I had a big wire nut that worked good for that. Taped it up good with electrical tape, crimped the other ring connector on and hooked up the new battery. I tried the mower but it would barely grunt so I decided must be a bad starter. I finally decided to just take it to my new small engine mechanic and backed my 5X8 trailer up to it and dropped the tailgate and was fixing to push it in. I decided to try one more time so got on turned the switch. It grunted but did not start so I wondered ... and I decided did not sound like a starter so put the jumper cable back on and it started right up. Duuhh! I assumed the new battery was charged - wrong. I was a heartbeat away from hauling the mower to the shop for a dead battery. I went ahead and mowed the whole place so unless I have a bad alternator I should be back in the mowing business. Never overlook the obvious. ::)
Howard Green

firefighter ontheside

I was just thinking a few days ago that my thread might be dead, but its back!  I guess none of us have done anything done for a month.

I always expect that a new battery will have a decent charge too.  Glad you did not take it in.  I tried to start my mule this afternoon and it did not have enough juice.  I don't drive the thing enough to maintain the battery, so occasionally I have to charge it.  Instead of dragging out a 100 foot cord or driving somehting else over by it to jump it, I decided to put it in neutral and push it to the garage.  That was dumb.  That thing is heavy, but I made it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

I resemble these remarks from both youse guys! I mowed today too and made the mistake of shutting off the mower to chat with a neighbor walking by with her baby. It would not crank when I tried to re-start, too hot. SO I went and ran an errand and it cranked right back up when I returned. Yesterday afternoon I needed the mule to trailer some wood to the shop and it was dead too. Had to put it on the charger for the first time since last winter (plowing runs it down with all the winch work).
 Mowers and Mules.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

trapper

Thanks howard just bought a new mower battery to run extra lights on atv.  will put it on charger before i use it.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

JoshNZ

How's this for dumb...

Dumb that I heard the saw running lean while my friend was using it. Dumb that I was too lazy to stop him and adjust it. Dumb that its cooked.

Definitely stupid of me to trim the leak test plug on the exhaust port with a bandsaw that has such a crooked weld joint it catches wood at the best of times. Into the bin it goes :(

WV Sawmiller

@trapper ,

Your battery may already be charged but I'd just check it first especially if you don't get the performance you expect. Good luck.
Howard Green

GAB

Quote from: JoshNZ on September 24, 2020, 12:32:17 AM
How's this for dumb...

Dumb that I heard the saw running lean while my friend was using it. Dumb that I was too lazy to stop him and adjust it. Dumb that its cooked.

Definitely stupid of me to trim the leak test plug on the exhaust port with a bandsaw that has such a crooked weld joint it catches wood at the best of times. Into the bin it goes :(
You wrote: "Into the bin it goes".
I think you should put it somewhere where you can see it daily as a reminder of a past decision.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

JoshNZ

I'd have an awfully cluttered shed if I did that each time I had a ballsup xD

GAB

Quote from: JoshNZ on September 24, 2020, 04:41:55 PM
I'd have an awfully cluttered shed if I did that each time I had a ballsup xD
Oh-Kay, you might have to add an ell to the shed.  But just think once you retire you could write a book about all of your experiences what worked and what didn't.  Who knows you might have a best seller in your retirement.  In any case it would keep you busy for a while, all right based on what you wrote, maybe a loonnngggg time.
Wishing you the very best,
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

Gerald,

If we all did that we all might become famous, best selling writers - or we could all end up in the looney bin (or whatever the current politically correct term for it is now) thinking about all our injuries, lost money and time. :D :D :D
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!