The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 95348 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #1040 on: September 23, 2020, 07:35:43 PM »
   Wow! Over a month with nothing new here. Pretty amazing. 

Mine today was pretty petty considering previous postings but I pulled my riding mower  beside my truck yesterday to air up a tire using one of those cheap 12V air compressors. Aired up the tire then my mower would not start so I assumed weak battery. It has not been spinning to pert lately. I was in luck and the jumper cables were right under the seat and the battery on the truck was on the correct side so I hooked up but no luck after several tries. I even cranked the truck for more power. I saw sparks and pulled the jumper cables off but too late. I'd let the alligator clamp touch the 2 cables on the mower battery and had melted the insulation off both and even melted the negative post on the mower battery. No huge issue as wife had a Dr appointment this morning so I just rode over with her, then to Rural King, got a new battery and a couple of ring connectors then had to stop at a parts place and get a couple feet of #4 cable. I was able to just put a new ring on the negative cable on the mower and it just barely reached to post on the battery then I cut and spliced about 10" of new #4 cable on the positive cable. Fortunately I had a big wire nut that worked good for that. Taped it up good with electrical tape, crimped the other ring connector on and hooked up the new battery. I tried the mower but it would barely grunt so I decided must be a bad starter. I finally decided to just take it to my new small engine mechanic and backed my 5X8 trailer up to it and dropped the tailgate and was fixing to push it in. I decided to try one more time so got on turned the switch. It grunted but did not start so I wondered ... and I decided did not sound like a starter so put the jumper cable back on and it started right up. Duuhh! I assumed the new battery was charged - wrong. I was a heartbeat away from hauling the mower to the shop for a dead battery. I went ahead and mowed the whole place so unless I have a bad alternator I should be back in the mowing business. Never overlook the obvious. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1041 on: September 23, 2020, 08:18:10 PM »
I was just thinking a few days ago that my thread might be dead, but its back!  I guess none of us have done anything done for a month.

I always expect that a new battery will have a decent charge too.  Glad you did not take it in.  I tried to start my mule this afternoon and it did not have enough juice.  I don't drive the thing enough to maintain the battery, so occasionally I have to charge it.  Instead of dragging out a 100 foot cord or driving somehting else over by it to jump it, I decided to put it in neutral and push it to the garage.  That was dumb.  That thing is heavy, but I made it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #1042 on: September 23, 2020, 08:37:46 PM »
I resemble these remarks from both youse guys! I mowed today too and made the mistake of shutting off the mower to chat with a neighbor walking by with her baby. It would not crank when I tried to re-start, too hot. SO I went and ran an errand and it cranked right back up when I returned. Yesterday afternoon I needed the mule to trailer some wood to the shop and it was dead too. Had to put it on the charger for the first time since last winter (plowing runs it down with all the winch work).
 Mowers and Mules.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1043 on: September 23, 2020, 10:16:49 PM »
Thanks howard just bought a new mower battery to run extra lights on atv.  will put it on charger before i use it.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #1044 on: September 24, 2020, 12:32:17 AM »
How's this for dumb...

Dumb that I heard the saw running lean while my friend was using it. Dumb that I was too lazy to stop him and adjust it. Dumb that its cooked.

Definitely stupid of me to trim the leak test plug on the exhaust port with a bandsaw that has such a crooked weld joint it catches wood at the best of times. Into the bin it goes :(

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1045 on: September 24, 2020, 09:35:06 AM »
@trapper ,

Your battery may already be charged but I'd just check it first especially if you don't get the performance you expect. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Online GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1046 on: September 24, 2020, 10:06:16 AM »
How's this for dumb...

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Dumb that I heard the saw running lean while my friend was using it. Dumb that I was too lazy to stop him and adjust it. Dumb that its cooked.

Definitely stupid of me to trim the leak test plug on the exhaust port with a bandsaw that has such a crooked weld joint it catches wood at the best of times. Into the bin it goes :(
You wrote: "Into the bin it goes".
I think you should put it somewhere where you can see it daily as a reminder of a past decision.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline JoshNZ

• Share Post
« Reply #1047 on: September 24, 2020, 04:41:55 PM »
I'd have an awfully cluttered shed if I did that each time I had a ballsup xD

Online GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1048 on: September 24, 2020, 10:19:42 PM »
I'd have an awfully cluttered shed if I did that each time I had a ballsup xD
Oh-Kay, you might have to add an ell to the shed.  But just think once you retire you could write a book about all of your experiences what worked and what didn't.  Who knows you might have a best seller in your retirement.  In any case it would keep you busy for a while, all right based on what you wrote, maybe a loonnngggg time.
Wishing you the very best,
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1049 on: September 25, 2020, 09:19:04 AM »
Gerald,

If we all did that we all might become famous, best selling writers - or we could all end up in the looney bin (or whatever the current politically correct term for it is now) thinking about all our injuries, lost money and time. :D :D :D
Howard Green

Online GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1050 on: September 25, 2020, 09:38:31 AM »
Howard:
I frequently hear of retired individuals being bored in retirement.  I thought that might be a way of helping avoid that fate for Josh and possibly elevate him to the best sellers list.
Oh-Well,
Gerald

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1051 on: September 25, 2020, 09:58:51 AM »
   It might or it might be just enough to push him over the edge. They already drive on the wrong side of the road down there - no telling what other quirks they may have we are not aware of. :D
Howard Green

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #1052 on: September 25, 2020, 10:58:52 AM »
Wednesday we got the main metal on the steep roof we were doing. I made a pair of ridge stools that night so we could sit over the ridge and work the ridgecap, my legs don't have the pinch to straddle the ridge that long anymore. Yesterday morning the rain was already here so we decided to fix my partners woods truck. I towed it up close to the garage and then we winched it up. We spent the day crawling over it and redoing wiring and by day's end it fired up. He pulled forward and shut down, I unhooked the cable and we reeled it back in, which killed the old battery. He was breaking out the charger and I was tidying up. We had been standing on the ridge stools and one was caught under a tire a little bit, (here's your sign!). I snatched it out without thinking. Yup, it had been the chock, and the truck starts down the drive. I guess happily my little ranger was behind it. It knocked it backwards about 5' with an authoritative whump about the time he got to his brake and I wandered around back expecting to see a mess. I think I must have wasted some good karma, time to refill the bank :D. His hitch must have hit my recovery hook. Life's little lessons; Make sure things are as assumed before pulling anything that might be the chock.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1053 on: September 25, 2020, 11:04:21 AM »
  It might or it might be just enough to push him over the edge. They already drive on the wrong side of the road down there - no telling what other quirks they may have we are not aware of. :D
Actually our ancestors got it right using the left side of the road, we just had to be different. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #1054 on: September 28, 2020, 04:21:56 PM »
One of the many lumber products I make is a tree stake. It is 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 8' long for holding newly planted saplings in place until the root ball take hold.
I usually make several hundred of these each year for a landscaping business that plants a lot of new saplings.
To point these tree stakes I bought a pointer machine from Hud-Son many years ago:

After the first engine broke down I got another one from a local power equipment shop. A nice Honda engine.

I have my yearly order to do and I have cut out over 100 stakes to allow for some breakage.
Now to point the lot.

Well, that engine hadn't been started for a while, most likely a year. But it seemed ok and with plenty of gas, I started pulling the starter cord.

Nothing. Cleaned the air filter, mouse nest out, and checked the fuel line to make sure I had the shut off valve in the right position to allow the gas to flow. Which I did.
Pull some more.
Nothing.
Full choke and full throttle, nothing.

Well, then if finally dawned on marble head, this engine had an on off switch. Switch of course was off.
On, second pull; started right up.

Worked up a sweat for nothing.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Online Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #1055 on: September 28, 2020, 04:38:03 PM »
I have gotten spoiled with my chainsaw always reverting to the on position. I always forget to switch my weedeater back on.

Offline breederman

• Senior Member x2
  • getting by the best way I know how
    • Share Post
« Reply #1056 on: September 28, 2020, 06:30:48 PM »
I do that every time I start .y wood splitter.
Together we got this !

Offline dudders

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • The Management
« Reply #1057 on: September 28, 2020, 07:07:25 PM »
I only have one motor with an off switch like that - catches me out every time.  Lots of cussing and then a red face.

Offline moosehunter

• Senior Member x2
  • Every once in a while
    • Share Post
    • Saw it Coming
« Reply #1058 on: September 28, 2020, 07:34:53 PM »
At work we have a few honda engines. We always say " if it don't start on the second pull you didn't switch it on"
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Online Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #1059 on: September 30, 2020, 01:39:23 PM »
I bought a new weed eater and went with the next model up as it had the revert to "on" kill switch
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
Was this dumb?

Started by biziedizie on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post March 25, 2003, 01:01:32 PM
by biziedizie