iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waho and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

handhewn

I've been close a time or two but I think that was the closest. The two week old baby boy at home convinced me I needed to make some life adjustments. Going back to school changed my life for the better so that sawmill scare changed my whole life for the better where it so easily could have ended it right there.

firefighter ontheside

I was in my dad's garage today and saw the shelf unit he had on the wall.  It was familiar to me and I looked closer.  I realized it was the shelf above my childhood desk....that I had burned with my lamp and had the fire department come to the house.  This is a different house than we lived in.  Dad had obviously repurposed the shelf.  I looked under it and the burn mark was clear as day.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

That experience  must have made an impression on you!?? :)

JoshNZ

Quote from: handhewn on October 04, 2020, 01:45:39 PM
I was milling the nicest black oak log I had ever milled...
I was hoping we'd hear the story of the scare soon. Sounds like you might've needed rubber bands around your trouser ankles for your walk home! Don't be discouraged anyway, more wiser for it no doubt. Good luck with firing her up!

terrifictimbersllc

Knew I shouldn't saw this rotten log in half.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

The Guinness World Record Recording Team will arrive tomorrow to make their measurements and present you with the Certificate.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

It happens when your sawing logs sometimes ;)
Now how did you get it off the cat track-mill?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Dennis,

You did a fine job on that one ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 08, 2020, 07:54:22 PM
It happens when your sawing logs sometimes ;)
Now how did you get it off the cat track-mill?
I took off the tire and three of us toppled it over into the sawdust.
No harm done, to the mill anyway.
No machine there but after some deliberation it occurred to me the mill was portable.  :laugh:
So I set it up again on the other side of the log and milled that sucker into 3" slabs like customer first asked me to.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jim_Rogers

When I didn't have a machine handy, I dragged it from one side of the mill back to the loader side with my suv.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

firefighter ontheside

I would say something dumb happened to me yesterday and not that I did something dumb.  Pulling my camper home from a trip and I noticed the truck surging and making a whoomping sound.  I thought the turbo had gone at first, but then I looked in the passenger side mirror and saw that a trailer tire was coming apart.  There were parts of the tire and the camper flying off.  I slowed down of course, but wasn't about to stop on the interstate hwy shoulder to try and change a tire.  I drove about 3 miles very slow with my flashers on.  That was probably the scariest part of the whole ordeal.  Once I got pulled over on an exit I could see the damage.  The tire was shredded of course, but the wheel well trim was destroyed, the sheet metal behind the wheels was smashed, there was a hole thru the camper floor and two brackets that attach to the frame and help support the floor were heavily damaged.  I got the spare mounted in about 45 minutes and then had to find somewhere to get air, which wasn't easy.  Many places have air, but not many of those places allow for a 36' fifth wheel to pull up to them.  The rest of the trip was uneventful and now I need to get a new tire and find somewhere to do repairs on the trailer.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

samandothers

Sorry you had that experience.  Glad not injuries, well except camper.  Hope you find a repair person soon.

Nebraska

Bummer bad way to end a trip.

Southside

I have gone to G rated tires on my trailers after having the same thing happen several times. I also get them balanced even though the tire place says it's not necessary for a trailer tire. 

They are not cheap, but I have never had one fail either. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

Why would they not balance a trailer tire?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

I have considered G rated tires.  Maybe I will get them.  They don't always balance trailer tires, because they assume you don't care about ride comfort on the trailer.  My aluminum camper wheels have stick on weights.  I think that is just to balance the wheels.

I am taking it to a repair shop on Friday.  He said it will be at least a month, but its winterized as of 30 minutes ago and we will not use it til the spring, so no real hurry.  I will take it for new tires Friday before dropping it off.  I am going to replace all tires.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I think the bigger and heavier overall the tire is, the more it might help.  my grandpa, who was a foreman for Boogarts grocery store would buy semi tires by lifting them and bought the heaviest ones.  he was the first driver they had, and later was over about 60 trucks and drivers.  I think most trailer tires weather to death, and are rarely worn out, aside from daily used trailers.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, these tires are 4 years old.  They do not have signs of cracking, well at least the 3 that didn't blow up.  Still, I'll take it as a sign to replace all 4.  I went almost 3 decades of driving without having a blowout while I was driving and then last year I had a blowout on my flatbed trailer and now this.  I will likely get a new model of Goodyear trailer tire that is same rating(E), but they say it is heavier.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

trimguy

I've always ran E rated tires. I've never heard of G rated before ( they don't let me out much😁 ). Are they fairly easy to find ? I will have to ask next time I need some.

doc henderson

I have heard of heavier trailer tires but have been told they come in limited sizes (like mostly 16 inches).  one year coming home from camp we had 2 blowouts on the same trailer.  only had one spare.  they were ready to be changed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

RichTired

Can you get road hazard for trailer tires? I have it on my truck and insurance will pay for someone to come fix it on the side of the road or haul it to a repair shop.
My son and daughter-in-law had a blowout on her car and she just called AAA and they got it fixed. Down side it took over three hours before the service truck got to them. They had to set on the side of the freeway in a not to nice side of town until they arrived...
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

KenMac

Everyone (mostly) on YouTube raves about the Goodyear trailer tires. I personally try to find LT tires in the correct size and ply rating for my trailers. I've not had any problems doing this. I'm not sure what is available for 15" tires in heavy ratings, so it may not be an option. I have to replace the tires on  my 5th wheel soon, so I will find out what is available.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

firefighter ontheside

My camper has 16" wheels, so I might be able to find an LT to fit, but I think im just going to go up to a G rated trailer tire.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

K-Guy

firefighterontheside

Sometimes I think you and WV Sawmiller are in competition here!!!  ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!