iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Good to have a new blade on if hitting metal, better chance it doesn't ruin wood.  smiley_thumbsup
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

It cut right through that bolt, we will see how it cuts wood now.  I will turn to artistically filling the holes.  I thought I was on a roll, and going to get this done,  I must have been dreaming.   ;) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Well, everyone knows new blades are attracted to metal. :D Glad you didn't get hurt. I am still not quite clear on how this 'kerfing the cut' thing works, but I am getting closer to an understanding. You are just lucky your saw didn't rip out of your hand and take flight. 
 As for the 'extra' holes, you could make some brass plugs to pound in and call it an 'accent'. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

so as the tops dried. the original miter I cut, no longer fit.  the back of the bar tops also were out of square.  so I made a cut to square the back.  took a wedge off that was a taper from zero to 1/4 inch each side of the miter.  then you butt the joint snug, thus the reason to get the brackets in place.  they are temporary and will be used to glue the joint during installation.  The method I use for cutting is the straight edge and a dewalt 18 volt circ-saw.  so measure the offset from the edge of the saw base to blade.  the goal is to have the blade go down the center of the miter.  you saw down the miter using the straight edge.  it removes the high spots and any variation in angle or direction, will match the other side, even if not perfect.  so a tight miter by cutting both sides at the same time.  it is caller kerfing as the cut is the kerf of the blade, and evens things up along a long miter.  it is like stacking boards the way they come off the saw, so you match variation in the lumber such as a wave.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GAB

Doc:
You either had a very good blade or that bolt was a foreign made grade 0.
My medical expertise is very very close to zero, but me thinks you need more sleep.
I wish you and everyone a great Thanksgiving.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

zinc coated Lowes bolt, new blade.  I actually got sleep, felt like getting stuff done.  about 4 projects going on.  just not my day!  

Southside

Well look at it this way - at least you are posting this on a forum that is related to your hobby, and not one related to your profession!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

I was just thinking about my "did something dumb" thread this morning and realized it hadn't been used in quite a while.  I was thinking it might be dead.  Not that we all were not doing dumb things regularly, but maybe just didn't feel like posting about it.  So, sorry about this Doc, but thanks for resurrecting my thread.  When I have had to fill mistakes like that,  I have drilled a hole with a forstner bit and then cut a plug from similar wood with a plug cutter.  Thats the best way I've found to try and hide it.  Of course the other option is to use a contrasting wood and make it look like you always planned it that way.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

It's not going away anytime soon, I went out earlier to put round bales out for the critters and decided that I should move some of the firewood  side dump load my buddy had dumped along the driveway.  I don't have a grapple and just balance logs on my pallet forks. So a little 4 inch piece of Hackberry flips in behind the frame of the forks, ok no big deal it will slide off to the side if I raise my bucket as I back up. Well sort of ...for some reason it flipped funny and traced it's way along the loader arm and bounced off the flasher bracket on the cab side, some how didn't break the light housing  but bent it a little. ::)  Could've broke the window.  ::) I was too worthless to get  down and flip it off to the side, I was quitting and hauling one more bunch to the stack to go check the smoker for dinner. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving and a safe one too?

doc henderson

so tried kerfing and it went fine, and here is the pick of the un-needed bracket holes.  i might take  hollow punch and make a filler from thin scraps i have,  the holes are less than 1/8th inch.

It will be kinda artsy.  lots of different tones and colors on these pieces.  even thought of mixing epoxy paste at differing amounts from tan to black, and maybe drawing some lines (grain) in with a sharpie.  @tule peak timber .

Southside

Just claim a committee was involved with the design and the value of the piece will sky rocket.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Yeah, small holes, so wouldn't want to make holes bigger just to be able to use plugs.  Tough call.  Maybe whittle some little pieces from scraps of the wood with matching colors.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

tule peak timber

Quote from: Southside on November 26, 2020, 01:58:47 PM
Just claim a committee was involved with the design and the value of the piece will sky rocket.  :D
The claims need to be well founded, and the committee large, for a ballistic vertical trajectory . Sometimes you can vie for the committee---- sometimes it conscripts you .
Have a good Thanksgiving. WOC
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

caveman

Doc, I like the top and your kerfing/clamping method.  Also, it is refreshing to see a picture of your workspace with a little clutter.   Happy Thanksgiving.
Caveman

Cruiser_79

Yesterday evening I thought to saw a few more boards of that red Ironwood. I lowered the clamps for ending on a 2'' bottom board. Probably it wasn't a good idea to saw the upper boards with the clamps that low... The blade pulled the beam out of the clamps and smashed the sawblade guides  :-\ 

The 22 kw engine stopped immediately, that was quite a bang..

firefighter ontheside

Dang.  Thats a bummer.  How long will that set you back.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

My wife called me at the firehouse this morning and said the power was out.  She was not happy, as she could not shop black friday deals online.  We determined that the neighbors had power, so I told her to check the main breaker.  It was fine and not tripped.  Next I told her to check the overhead lines and the transformer.  In particular I told her to locate the switch at the transformer and see if it was open.  She was unable to identify the switch so she sent me a picture.  I could clearly see the switch was open.  Next I asked if a limb had fallen on the wires.  We were on phone this whole time together and she paused a moment and then said, "there's a dead squirrel here".  Power company arrived in 30 minutes and reset the switch.  Crisis averted....except for the squirrel.  RIP Rocky.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

My mother RIP had a crow do that, all his buddys showed up for a wake then left so she could dispose of the well cooked carcass. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

I am surprised after the wake, they did not eat him.  

tule peak timber

Reminds me of a kid that was repelling off of the big steel transmission towers over the Conejeo grade about 25 years ago. The wind blew him across the wires and there he sat stunned on a steel girder , no clothes, no hair, no skin.Quite a photo of him just sitting....If I can find it on the internet I'll post.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Nebraska

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: doc henderson on November 27, 2020, 03:34:55 PM
I am surprised after the wake, they did not eat him.  
My wife is not good with dead animals, much less eating them.  Several of her friends today have sent her recipes for squirrel.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I was talking about the crow, but i hear squirrel is good too.   :) :) :)

Cruiser_79

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on November 27, 2020, 02:01:36 PM
Dang.  Thats a bummer.  How long will that set you back.
Yesterday I did some bending and welding, hopefully I can run today after some aligning. Fortunately no squirrels were harmed with this accident  :D  

Thank You Sponsors!