iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Firefighter,
Hopefully they placed a animal guard over the bushing to keep a repeat from happening!

Tell your wife to shop fast.  Rocky's friends may come looking for the same food or route he did!

SawyerTed

This incomplete pretzel used to be the top link off the Category 2 three point hitch on my tractor. 

I was plowing my garden and hooked a rock with the 14" two bottom plow.  At least this part gave instead of the 50 year old plow.  The front tractor tires were 4' off the ground before I pressed the clutch pedal.  It was the kind of excitement I don't want to have again!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

btulloh

That is outstanding and not dumb at all.  It is the most interesting top link modification I have ever seen.  
HM126

GAB

Quote from: SawyerTed on November 29, 2020, 11:32:14 AM

This incomplete pretzel used to be the top link off the Category 2 three point hitch on my tractor.

I was plowing my garden and hooked a rock with the 14" two bottom plow.  At least this part gave instead of the 50 year old plow.  The front tractor tires were 4' off the ground before I pressed the clutch pedal.  It was the kind of excitement I don't want to have again!
You might want to consider purchasing a trip beam plow.  It helps avoid doing wheelies in rocky ground.
You need to hang that top link in your shop as I think it will make for an interesting conversation piece.
Glad you are ok.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: samandothers on November 28, 2020, 09:44:30 PM
Firefighter,
Hopefully they placed a animal guard over the bushing to keep a repeat from happening!

Tell your wife to shop fast.  Rocky's friends may come looking for the same food or route he did!
I was home yesterday and right before I got rid of the squirrel that was still laying there, tail sticking straight up in the air, whole underside burnt to a crisp, I looked at the switch.  All that they did was close it.  Im sure it will happen again, but hopefully it will be another 20 years.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I guess its a good thing the top link crumpled, otherwise the front would have been higher than 4'.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SawyerTed

Quote from: GAB on November 29, 2020, 01:25:12 PM
Quote from: SawyerTed on November 29, 2020, 11:32:14 AM

You might want to consider purchasing a trip beam plow.  It helps avoid doing wheelies in rocky ground.
You need to hang that top link in your shop as I think it will make for an interesting conversation piece.
Glad you are ok.
GAB
Thanks I am ok for sure!  I was quick to the clutch and got the front of the tractor down.  
It might be cheaper to dig out the rock!  😂  Have you seen two bottom plow prices?  $$$$$. It will be even cheaper to just leave that part out of the garden.  Thankfully the rock is near the edge.  
I only plow my garden and two or three food plots a year.  I often use a 6' rotary tiller but decided to subsoil and plow this year.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Durf700

well....  since my mill is down waiting on parts as of wednesday.. I figured I would bring home the new Kubota and get my tire studs installed!  that went great and so I decided to install the quick hitch on the tractor as well.. this is where it went bad.. I was just about happy with the quick hitch settings and decided to pull the tractor from the pole barn into the garage to tighten up the bolts and then go in and enjoy football..  thats when I heard a very loud BOOM!!!    I didn't shut the door on my 4 week old MX5400 cab tractor and the glass door cought the center of my pole barn and shattered!! 

I thought I was gonna throw up!  its been a rough few days with the mill and now the tractor..  so I guess I will be trying to order a new glass door tomorrow!  the bad part is that they are super behind right now and I probably will be waiting a long time for the new door.. 

no good!

sawguy21

When it rains it pours! I am due to pull a bonehead stunt any time now and getting paranoid. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

hope you get the new door by spring.  :snowball: :( I hate it when that happens
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Resonator

Do you have the Kubota insurance? I know when I financed my tractor it was required to pay for a policy to cover accidental damage. As an example the dealer told me he had a customer try loading logs with his new tractor, and at full lift the logs rolled backwards down the loader arms, smashing the steering wheel and dash. Luckily he was OK.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

firefighter ontheside

Oh man.  That one is hard pill to swallow.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Durf700

No. I have regular insurance.   I'm hoping to be able to buy the glass and just install it myself.. I saw a few companies  that sell glass for tractors. Im gonna call them in the morning. 

Don P

Ouch, I hope it isn't one of the curved glass ones.

That top link looks impressive, I've bent some but that takes the cake. I cracked the tranny cover on my old MF when an iceberg style rock flopped back down on the forks, about got a lift cylinder enema out of that one  :D. Google Dexpan if you ever need to bust a big rock, we call it non exploding dynamite. It works good under houses and such when we hit a troublemaker.

Nebraska

I picked a custom plexi glass cab door window instead of glass when mine exploded a few years ago. Did it slamming the door shut not sure exactly how.

SawyerTed

Between power line roasted squirrel and a smashed tractor cab door that little top link incident seems rather tame.  As impressive as the bends are in the top link, it clearly lacks the humor of scorched rodent and certainly lacks the fiscal pain of the broken glass.  

Durf700

I was pleasantly surprised today... the glass in 418.00 plus tax and shipping through Kubota.  the aftermarket glass companies that claim to have the glass dont carry any of the smaller tractor cab glass like my little MX 5400.. now just waiting to hear back as to how quick I can get it from Kubota....  really hoping to be able to get it within a few weeks!  I thought it would be more money... not that thats cheap but it could of been worse.

yes, I would much rather have your bent top link!!  lol

SawyerTed

All in the aftermarket top link was about $47.00.  That's about 1/10 the price of the cab glass and sort of boring compared to electrified squirrels and crows.

Didn't price the Kubota top link.  The aftermarket unit is beefier but doesn't have grease fittings.  Zerks are easy enough installed if I need to but probably not worth the trouble.  Grease can be applied if necessary.

Glad the cab glass isn't stupid expensive.

terrifictimbersllc

Glad to hear it wasnt that bad.  Get it fixed like new so there's no reminder every time you open it. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

All this talk about electrified squirrels is bad luck.  At 4:45 p.m. today, a squirrel fried himself on the transformer on the service pole to my house blowing the line fuse on the main powerline 1/2 mile away :).  From 200 feet away and in the house, I heard the POP when the power went out.  And, if I had a glass door on my tractor, I would have probably broke that too :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerTed

Quote from: Don P on November 29, 2020, 07:37:48 PM
Ouch, I hope it isn't one of the curved glass ones.

That top link looks impressive, I've bent some but that takes the cake. I cracked the tranny cover on my old MF when an iceberg style rock flopped back down on the forks, about got a lift cylinder enema out of that one  :D. Google Dexpan if you ever need to bust a big rock, we call it non exploding dynamite. It works good under houses and such when we hit a troublemaker.
Just watched the Dexpan YouTube video.  That's impressive stuff for rock breaking!  Is it expensive?

Kwill

Quote from: Durf700 on November 30, 2020, 04:55:54 PM
I was pleasantly surprised today... the glass in 418.00 plus tax and shipping through Kubota.  the aftermarket glass companies that claim to have the glass dont carry any of the smaller tractor cab glass like my little MX 5400.. now just waiting to hear back as to how quick I can get it from Kubota....  really hoping to be able to get it within a few weeks!  I thought it would be more money... not that thats cheap but it could of been worse.

yes, I would much rather have your bent top link!!  lol
Did you try through a&i? I work at a ag and auto parts store and we order alot of cab glasses through them
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Don P

It's been a few years but I think it was about a hundred bucks a box for the dexpan. We hit a granite boulder underneath a house about the size of a volkswagen. It took 2 boxes but was about the only way to break it up under there. Basically drill it just like you were going to shoot it. The Hilti drill was about $1200 but they can be rented. I've used it a whole lot since then, in fact today. I'm under another house that is on vertical shale which is too soft for the dexpan. The dexpan only works on hard rock. By the sawmill a couple of hard sandstone boulders fell into the creek this summer pretty much right in front of a 3' culvert that are too big for the Lull to lift so I'll probably get a couple of boxes and split them when I have time.

Durf700

Quote from: Kwill on November 30, 2020, 09:18:56 PM
Quote from: Durf700 on November 30, 2020, 04:55:54 PM
I was pleasantly surprised today... the glass in 418.00 plus tax and shipping through Kubota.  the aftermarket glass companies that claim to have the glass dont carry any of the smaller tractor cab glass like my little MX 5400.. now just waiting to hear back as to how quick I can get it from Kubota....  really hoping to be able to get it within a few weeks!  I thought it would be more money... not that thats cheap but it could of been worse.

yes, I would much rather have your bent top link!!  lol
Did you try through a&i? I work at a ag and auto parts store and we order alot of cab glasses through them
I was only able to find the glass right through Kubota..  the good news is nothing is on backorder so my rep said it should be in within 10-14 days!!!!  this makes me feel much better!!!    I even ordered new weather stripping and steel handle that got bent that bolts to inside of the glass door.. 

firefighter ontheside

OH man, what is wrong with squirrels these days?  Don't they know to be careful around energized electrical equipment?  I do have a photo of barbecued squirrel, but decided it was best not to post it.

Less than $500 to fix the door seems pretty good.  When I did my move a few months ago and broke both of my curl cylinders that cost me $650 and I was happy with that.  My cylinders needed to be rebuilt anyway, because they would sag down in a matter of minutes. 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!