iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc, rusticretreater and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 23, 2021, 01:03:38 PM...
  Anyway, while parking in a very out of the way spot to allow access for others seemed like a good idea at the time, according to my wife it was still my fault she hit the planter but I digress.
Marriage is a relationship where one person is always right and the other person is the husband.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

My wife was not good at judging distance, she tried to move the concrete pillars in the underground parkade. TWICE! The Ranger looked like a refugee from a demo derby, repairs would have been worth more than the truck.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

aigheadish

My ex-wife was pretty good at driving too... She managed to hit one of the poles next to the gas pumps and crunch down the side of the minivan and she crashed almost through the back of the garage once... 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

firefighter ontheside

My wife is a pretty good driver.  She has never wrecked my truck.  I NEVER, ever let her drive my truck.  The last time she drove my truck was in 2009.  That was 2 trucks ago.

@Nebraska enjoy the new tires.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

JJ

Yep:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=111050.0

Daughters sail_smiley
She starts drivers ed February 1'st.   Has refused to drive the caddi say_what

WDH

My concrete pole was one of those yellow painted concrete poles at the McDonalds Drive Thru :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

@Nebraska just how many cats you got anyway?  I mean, cleaning out a heifer barn with a loader - I get that.  Cleaning out the cat box with a loader ---- nope, never heard of that before.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside on January 23, 2021, 10:35:54 PM
@Nebraska just how many cats you got anyway?  I mean, cleaning out a heifer barn with a loader - I get that.  Cleaning out the cat box with a loader ---- nope, never heard of that before.   :D
Yeah, you know I missed that little detail. I can see using a skidsteer, but geez a loader?! ;D :D ;D :D :)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Ljohnsaw

Well, here's a couple.  We had a 1992 Chevy Z71 that the paint went south on.  The salesman (co-workers husband) saw the starting peels and got us a new paint job for free.  About 2 days after getting it back, my wife was pulling in the front gates at the ranch like she'd done hundreds of times.  Turned a little too sharp and caught the right rear wheel well trim on the metal gate.  Heard a funny noise and stopped and looked around.  Didn't see anything wrong so continued forward to rip the trim all the way off. ::)

Then it was my turn.  Drove 2 hours to pick up a new 5-wheel 3 horse aluminum trailer $$$.  Pulled into an abandoned gas station to figure out how to get home (before GPS's)  Didn't realize how sharp a 5th wheel turns.  Caught the fender on a concrete filled steel post in front of the gas island.  Luckily, I was able to pound out the dent and sand the scratches out.  Brushed aluminum is easy to fix!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Roundhouse

My tale of sheetmetal woes:
Back in the days of payphones I was using a drive-up version. It was raining and I moved my truck as close as possible so I could call and close the window most of the way. When I was done I hung up the phone and rolled up the window. The steering on my first truck, an '86 GMC Sierra was still cranked when I moved and the post in front of the phone put a distinctive crease into the door, B pillar and box side. The worst part was the cap of the post and therefore the crease, lined up perfectly with the keyhole in the door knocking the whole assembly into the door and rendering the hole out of shape for putting it back together. I was still getting my career started with student loans etc. so I was going to get every mile I could out of that truck without putting a lot back in for niceties like a working lock. I found a rubber "foot" like would go on a wooden kitchen chair that fit perfectly to plug the hole where the lock had been (to keep out all the dirt, ice, salt and such), touched up the scratch and painted it all to match (I had painted the truck when I bought it 4 years before). The only wrinkle besides the one on the side of the truck was that access was now exclusively through the passenger side door whenever the truck was locked. With an empty truck I could just slide across the bench seat. For the rest of the time when I had anything blocking the way I had a canoe paddle permanently stationed on the passenger side, I would open the door reach across with the paddle and use the blade to pop the opposite lock open in one motion. I got pretty good at that for the next couple years before the old GMC was no longer my daily driver.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

farmfromkansas

Think I am pretty fortunate in wife, mine got too close to one of those concrete posts when we had a 74 Nova we bought new after graduating from college.  It was a budget model with rally wheels and no AC. Cost 2750 new.  Anyway, she got too close and knew she hit it, but couldn't figure out how to get away from it without backing up, so just drove on till it was clear.  Put a nice groove all the way to the back.  But since then, she has never hurt a car other than having a deer running into the side of a Corsica she had later.  Can't complain, she has been a much less expensive wife than most. And she is doing my chores and nursing me through my convelescence right now.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Nebraska

@Old Greenhorn  @Southside  .....1 Cat!  Roughly 2 /2.5 gallons of spent litter.  My son and significant others cat spent a couple weeks with us over the holidays while they traveled back to Connecticut to see her family.  So we had extra litter boxes set up.  Wife said hey if you have time can you empty out  the cat boxes. This translates into, "its your day off and I'm working  so".....
We have a Chinese copy of a yahmaha Rhino but the battery just went  bad, and I hadn't been to town to get a different one yet. Normally the bucket with the litter dumped in it would go  in it  or the back of the truck .   This is  to haul far enough away from the place the dog doesn't   find it and role in it or worse....The plan was to grab a loader bucket or two of asphalt grindings while I was at it since it was pretty nice out and I could patch a couple holes and soft spots in the lane. It's a mile round trip just as well kill two birds with one stone right?? ...Nope just killed one tire, the other tractor had the grapple bucket on it and  it won't haul much asphalt.   I will enjoy the new tires.

Southside

Wait a second. Now you are telling me that you repair your driveway with used cat litter?  :D Dang, you opening a car wash station for those unfortunate folks who happen to visit you?  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

@Southside  Driveway??... no... I'm  filling an old ground hog hole or fox den in a hay patch with the cat litter in the 5 gallon bucket. Grab asphalt grindings  for the driveway in the loader bucket on the return trip. We aren't crazy cat people as of yet. I deal with enough of those folks at work....   

WDH

Southside knows that you would not put cat litter in the driveway, he is just crazy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

Everybody knows that potholes in the driveway are best patched with chickens. 
HM126

Southside

Lord knows plenty of mine have made attempts at that theory.

Speaking of crazy cat people.  When we lived in Oregon I looked at a ranch in Merrill.  So the realtor, who was the Queen of Spin, is taking me down the ranch lane and we drive right past the entrance to the landfill - that little detail wasn't on the listing - and she says something to the effect of "and the dump is nice and close to drop off your trash".... uh hua..... So we go a bit further and as we are passing the neighbors place the entire side hill starts to move - looked like a land slide and it was heading right toward us.  Not one to miss an opportunity the Queen of Spin calmly says "and the neighbor has a few cats, so the mice are under control".  There had to be hundreds of them, and they have this SUV in their sights.  They had us in a choke point, bottom of the valley, and it gets narrow quick.  It's an ambush!! I am thinking whatever happens, don't get out of the vehicle, if I go down they won't even find bones.  I mean Kingsley Field Air Base is about 20 miles north, but they only have F-15's so I can't even call in a Warthog for close air support, only thing they will be able to do is get some video from 5,000'.   ;D

Needless to say out of fear for my flock - I didn't make an offer on the place.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

Quote from: WDH on January 24, 2021, 05:52:50 PM
Southside knows that you would not put cat litter in the driveway, he is just crazy.
He milks cows and has a sawmill..... ;)
Years ago when my wife and I were first married there were rules made regarding livestock on our place. First one is no chickens, second was no pigs.  So there is no practical way to use chicken pavers at our place.  :)

sawguy21

Cat litter works great on an icy sidewalk, of course I prefer it fresh.

JJ

don't use the clumping litter, don't ask how i know >:(

SawyerTed

FWIW I've filled in an acre gully with cat litter (let's just say a small fortune) and chicken house residue over the years but never repaired a driveway with either. My wife has a PhD and is both the hardest working and smartest woman I know but she is crazy about her cats and her chickens.  I don't talk about her hospital and doctor bills from cat bites and scratches.  Right now she is on antibiotics from a cat inflicted laceration that the urgent care super glued on Thursday.  A man has to know his limitations.....
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

This hardly rates even an honorable mention since no machines were wrecked and no stitches were required but I went to resaw some wide ash boards a couple days ago. I had removed the fuel tank and filled it and several stock gas cans when I went over to the next county where gas is about 40 cents a gallon cheaper. I put the tank in place and noticed the bungee straps seemed tight when I cinched them down and the lube hose kept getting in the way and the end of the fuel line would not reach. I found everything worked much better once I removed it and put it back on over on the other side of the mill where it came from. I had the lube tank off stored in my well house to keep it from freezing and had put the fuel tank up where the lube tank goes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

That's one of those 'laugh at yourself' moments. I have a lot of them.

sawguy21

Howard, are you having senior moments? ;D

Hilltop366

Thank You Sponsors!