The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Did something dumb today.  (Read 95316 times)

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: Did something dumb today.
« Reply #1360 on: February 03, 2021, 08:59:41 AM »
Now how did that get there?  

Truck sledding :D. I was 25 when we chose the house site, which has good sun. The driveway is a little steep, close to 30% grade, we usually hike up in snow. It was getting a little mushy when I got home the other day after doing some reshoring and pumping at work, we'll wait for the roof weight to clear there. I decided to try to go for it and show some dirt to help it melt. I didn't make it and then gravity on ice took hold of the situation. I hate ABS, especially backwards. With old style brakes I can stab and slew the rear, kick it back into the road and release and bring the front around. There ain't no surfing with ABS. It's in a place where if I move it'll go into the woods so that truck is there till it melts unless I want to rig it. There's a couple of cars down below and it's better weather to sit inside and read about the watermills of Floyd County  :) so I'm in no real hurry to recover it.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1361 on: February 03, 2021, 11:33:44 AM »
   Okay - its just money this time. Our dishwasher quit pumping water and I checked all the valves and such and nothing had gotten closed on them. I called our appliance repair company and they gave me an appointment about 8-9 days out. Today he finally came and punched a few buttons to run a diagnostic on it. That ran and gave him a code which prompted him to open the door and remove the spoon that had slid under the float shutting off the water. Problem solved. $106 service charge applies. I obviously did not look close enough when I checked - but the expert did not see it at first either. If your dishwasher does out be sure to double check everything carefully for any lost silverware or roller off the trays or such. Might save you some time and money. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1362 on: February 03, 2021, 01:11:15 PM »
Not to mention washing all the dishes by hand for 8-9 days while you wait for the guy.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Jstier

• Share Post
« Reply #1363 on: February 04, 2021, 03:05:05 PM »
While slabbing last night I was cutting a 36in oak and got the mill stuck about halfway through the cut. So turned off the mill and got it back about 2inches to trim off about half an inch with a chainsaw. I ended up hitting my chainsaw blade on the sawmill blade :(   >:( 

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #1364 on: February 04, 2021, 03:57:14 PM »
Which chain was the tougher ?   ;)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Offline Silverfoxfintry

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1365 on: February 05, 2021, 05:37:06 AM »
My Car uses Addblue injected into the CAT to cut emissions.
On Tuesday I got a 10l plastic container from a friend.
Placed it in my Pickup behind the front passenger seat.
Yesterday I found the footwell flooded with Addblue.
9L soaked into the carpets.
It will take me hours to remove all the seats and trim before I can remove them for cleaning and drying.

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1366 on: February 05, 2021, 01:32:52 PM »
@WV Sawmiller that reminds me of a time my relatively brand new dryer started making a terrible noise. It seemed to work ok but made a God-awful screeching and grinding. We called the repair shop, the guy came out, took apart the drum to find a nickel floating around in there, seemingly stuck in between some stuff. I've never taken apart a dryer but I likely will try if it happens again.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline dean herring

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1367 on: February 19, 2021, 10:13:56 PM »
Has any put gasoline in their diesel tractor? I did and cranked it up,went over and cranked sawmill up to warm up. I thought it sounded different but it was really cold. Went on and cranked backhoe up and when the mill warmed up,finished sawing the log I was cutting. Went to get on tractor and it wasnt idling as usual. This was about 30 minutes after cranking.  
Ive drained the tank. Should I purge the fuel lines or just put fuel in and crank up.🤯🤯🤯🤯
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1368 on: February 19, 2021, 10:39:35 PM »
Remote started my diesel truck that was plugged in with a 100 ft extension cord and had Diesel Man (German Shepherd) in the back and went four miles over to a friends and backed in his drive, picked something up in the back of the truck and back home and let Diesel out and noticed Something 😂. Went to the front and it was still plugged in and pulled the cord and couldnt believe all 100 ft was there. The end got chewed up by the gravel road 😂😂

Online Nebraska

• Senior Member x2
  • Lurked for quite a while, learning !
    • Share Post
« Reply #1369 on: February 19, 2021, 11:41:58 PM »
@Walnut Beast  No way....If I did something  like that I would've driven over the cord yanked it out at 40 mph. Thus tearing the cord off as well wrecking  the block heater cord at the same time. Then some body would've come along behind me witnessing the carnage and picked up a free now 90ft cord.  :)

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1370 on: February 19, 2021, 11:59:45 PM »
I couldnt believe it 🙄

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1371 on: February 20, 2021, 12:14:19 AM »
You are not the first and you won't be the last. I replaced the cord on a co workers Camry, now that was a fun job! @dean herring you want to flush as much as you can, diesels don't get on well with gas. My next door neighbor couldn't get his Kubota to run properly, hadthe serviceman come out but still no joy. Neither of them noticed lawn mower gas in the tank, he was some embarrassed when he told me what he had done. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #1372 on: February 20, 2021, 04:39:10 AM »
Ive driven off to gas up the boat with the Minkota still plugged in, wondering why my wife is yelling at me.  :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #1373 on: February 20, 2021, 05:36:21 AM »
We had a fire truck years ago that had an air leak we could not find and it took too long for the brakes to air up when started cold, so we kept it plugged into a small air compressors at the fire house while we continued to look for the leak. The connection was right next to the landline under the driver's door to keep the batteries and tools charged.
 Well one night/early morning we get a structure fire call and the driver passed close enough to the fire on his way for the truck that he could see it was a worker and he got a little excited, figured he was finally gonna be 'first due'. He opened the bay as he pulled in, yanked the landline without even looking and climbed in and fire it up, was out the door in to time. Got down to the bottom of the hill and when he took the turn, saw that compressor fly across the road in his rearview. Went nearly a mile before something broke, he just kept going till the brakes locked. (He wasn't first due.)
 You would think that would set him up for years of razzing, but it only lasted about 6 months until somebody did not wait until the garage door was all the way up before pulling out in a similar heated moment. I have picked up more than a few of those landlines still connected, or not far from the trucks they were connected to and repairing them and the overhead outlets they hung from. Bought them by the box.
:D :D :D :D :D
 They ruined all that now because the rigs come with a self ejecting plug, they blow it out of the socket as soon as the engine starts.......most of the time. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #1374 on: February 20, 2021, 05:46:58 AM »
We had that happen at work, driving off still plugged in. Now I put the extension cord over the mirror on the door. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1375 on: February 20, 2021, 09:11:51 AM »
Oh man.  We've pulled more cords out the door, even with the auto eject.  Those things tend not to work about 1% of the time.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but we pull out of the station a lot more than 100 times per year.  I'm constantly having to replace ends on the cords and each truck ends up having to have the receptacle on the truck replaced about once a year.  We don't keep our trucks plugged into air, but a dept. I volunteered for does.  I've driven off with one of the their trucks without unplugging the air.  Those are definitely not auto eject.  

Our bay doors are set on a timer to close 5 minutes after the alerter in the station goes off for the call.
This way the bay doors aren't left open for who knows how long.  They don't always think about pushing the remote when they are going to a "worker".  Well, this week the captain that works for me at an outer station called me and said that they had ran into the door as they were pulling into the station.  They had been sent on a call and then disregarded, so they came back to the station within the 5 minutes.  They opened the back door and started to drive in just as the door started to come back down.  Very little damage to the truck, but destroyed the bottom panel of the door.  I would say we hit an average of 2 bay doors each year.  Stuff happens and its just a cost of doing the business we do.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1376 on: February 20, 2021, 11:45:38 AM »
When I was still wet behind the ears I got sent to town with the flat deck on a very cold morning. The brakes worked so I unplugged the buzzer and ignored the flag. ::) I got to the first stop sign, stepped on the brake which went to the floor and rolled across the intersection. :o The drain valve was partially open, a piece of ice had obviously blown out and I was freewheelin'. Today the truck would have spring brakes.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #1377 on: February 20, 2021, 01:02:58 PM »
Oh man.  We've pulled more cords out the door, even with the auto eject.  Those things tend not to work about 1% of the time.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but we pull out of the station a lot more than 100 times per year.  I'm constantly having to replace ends on the cords and each truck ends up having to have the receptacle on the truck replaced about once a year.  We don't keep our trucks plugged into air, but a dept. I volunteered for does.  I've driven off with one of the their trucks without unplugging the air.  Those are definitely not auto eject.  

Our bay doors are set on a timer to close 5 minutes after the alerter in the station goes off for the call.
This way the bay doors aren't left open for who knows how long.  They don't always think about pushing the remote when they are going to a "worker".  Well, this week the captain that works for me at an outer station called me and said that they had ran into the door as they were pulling into the station.  They had been sent on a call and then disregarded, so they came back to the station within the 5 minutes.  They opened the back door and started to drive in just as the door started to come back down.  Very little damage to the truck, but destroyed the bottom panel of the door.  I would say we hit an average of 2 bay doors each year.  Stuff happens and its just a cost of doing the business we do.
Yeah 1% failure rate is not acceptable in the fire service. We had a few fail too, so I always pulled mine manually. I trust nothing.
 Doors: yeah, we had about a similar level of door issues, but at one point we got a rash of them. Almost every driver said "the door was all the way up before I started rolling out' and some were very adamant about it. Turned out that our radios would overload the remote receiver on the door if the antenna passed by too close while in transmit and it would trip the door to close. Well, run in the house, hit the door button. pull the cords, climb in and start it up. The brakes come up and the alarm goes off and the door is fully open. You begin to pull out, grab the mic and call in responding, the door comes down and wipes the rear bubble gum machines off the deck, or worse. SO we changed the protocol, and the reminder sign on the header from  "MAKE SURE THE DOOR IS OPEN ALL THE WAY" to read "DO NOT CALL IN RESPONDING UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY CLEAR OF THE APRON" .   ;D
 On those air chucks, NO they are NOT autoeject in anyway and it is amazing how much weight they will pull! ;D
 For a while I tried to make a better mouse trap with putting strain reliefs on the cords and bolting them to the wall. All I did was increase the damage from plug replacements to fixing holes in the walls and replacing sockets on trucks. In my station 3 we used those auto recoil drop drops that retract, so you would pull the plug on the truck and it would snap up to the ceiling. Great idea right? NO. One time I jumped in the seat as I pulled and snapped the cord, I didn't see it catch in the ladder rack. Ripped the recoil unit off the ceiling and shot it across the road as I made the turn going out to a worker. Took me 20 minutes to find it when I got back and an hour to repair the spring mechanism and get it working again.
 Diesel in the gas tank was something we always worried about with so many different drivers filling trucks with varying lengths of service, but to my knowledge we never had that happen (just about everything else do though).
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1378 on: February 20, 2021, 01:29:54 PM »
All of our shorelines have a cord coming down from the ceiling, then a short coiled cord plugged into that.  The short cord is what is plugged into the truck.  If the auto ejector doesn't work, then the short cord comes apart from the cord from the ceiling.  This way usually no major damage is done.  The truck just has a short cord hanging from it while it goes to the call.

We have always had the rule that you do not talk on the radio while going through the open door.  Go responding before you pull out or wait til you are out the door.  I have never seen the radio trigger the door, but we always knew it was a possibility.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Patrick NC

• I'm not new anymore, but still pretty green
    • Share Post
« Reply #1379 on: February 24, 2021, 07:57:30 AM »

yesterday I decided the wheel on this logstop was way too round! 🤔🤫 Luckily I wasn't 1/2 an inch lower. Blade is salvageable. Just knocked the set out some. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
i pulled a dumb-dumb...

Started by Dan_Shade on Health and Safety

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2005, 06:10:46 AM
by sawguy21
xx
Was this dumb?

Started by biziedizie on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post March 25, 2003, 01:01:32 PM
by biziedizie