iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Oh man.  We've pulled more cords out the door, even with the auto eject.  Those things tend not to work about 1% of the time.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but we pull out of the station a lot more than 100 times per year.  I'm constantly having to replace ends on the cords and each truck ends up having to have the receptacle on the truck replaced about once a year.  We don't keep our trucks plugged into air, but a dept. I volunteered for does.  I've driven off with one of the their trucks without unplugging the air.  Those are definitely not auto eject.  

Our bay doors are set on a timer to close 5 minutes after the alerter in the station goes off for the call.
This way the bay doors aren't left open for who knows how long.  They don't always think about pushing the remote when they are going to a "worker".  Well, this week the captain that works for me at an outer station called me and said that they had ran into the door as they were pulling into the station.  They had been sent on a call and then disregarded, so they came back to the station within the 5 minutes.  They opened the back door and started to drive in just as the door started to come back down.  Very little damage to the truck, but destroyed the bottom panel of the door.  I would say we hit an average of 2 bay doors each year.  Stuff happens and its just a cost of doing the business we do.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

When I was still wet behind the ears I got sent to town with the flat deck on a very cold morning. The brakes worked so I unplugged the buzzer and ignored the flag. ::) I got to the first stop sign, stepped on the brake which went to the floor and rolled across the intersection. :o The drain valve was partially open, a piece of ice had obviously blown out and I was freewheelin'. Today the truck would have spring brakes.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 20, 2021, 09:11:51 AM
Oh man.  We've pulled more cords out the door, even with the auto eject.  Those things tend not to work about 1% of the time.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but we pull out of the station a lot more than 100 times per year.  I'm constantly having to replace ends on the cords and each truck ends up having to have the receptacle on the truck replaced about once a year.  We don't keep our trucks plugged into air, but a dept. I volunteered for does.  I've driven off with one of the their trucks without unplugging the air.  Those are definitely not auto eject.  

Our bay doors are set on a timer to close 5 minutes after the alerter in the station goes off for the call.
This way the bay doors aren't left open for who knows how long.  They don't always think about pushing the remote when they are going to a "worker".  Well, this week the captain that works for me at an outer station called me and said that they had ran into the door as they were pulling into the station.  They had been sent on a call and then disregarded, so they came back to the station within the 5 minutes.  They opened the back door and started to drive in just as the door started to come back down.  Very little damage to the truck, but destroyed the bottom panel of the door.  I would say we hit an average of 2 bay doors each year.  Stuff happens and its just a cost of doing the business we do.
Yeah 1% failure rate is not acceptable in the fire service. We had a few fail too, so I always pulled mine manually. I trust nothing.
 Doors: yeah, we had about a similar level of door issues, but at one point we got a rash of them. Almost every driver said "the door was all the way up before I started rolling out' and some were very adamant about it. Turned out that our radios would overload the remote receiver on the door if the antenna passed by too close while in transmit and it would trip the door to close. Well, run in the house, hit the door button. pull the cords, climb in and start it up. The brakes come up and the alarm goes off and the door is fully open. You begin to pull out, grab the mic and call in responding, the door comes down and wipes the rear bubble gum machines off the deck, or worse. SO we changed the protocol, and the reminder sign on the header from  "MAKE SURE THE DOOR IS OPEN ALL THE WAY" to read "DO NOT CALL IN RESPONDING UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY CLEAR OF THE APRON" .   ;D
 On those air chucks, NO they are NOT autoeject in anyway and it is amazing how much weight they will pull! ;D
 For a while I tried to make a better mouse trap with putting strain reliefs on the cords and bolting them to the wall. All I did was increase the damage from plug replacements to fixing holes in the walls and replacing sockets on trucks. In my station 3 we used those auto recoil drop drops that retract, so you would pull the plug on the truck and it would snap up to the ceiling. Great idea right? NO. One time I jumped in the seat as I pulled and snapped the cord, I didn't see it catch in the ladder rack. Ripped the recoil unit off the ceiling and shot it across the road as I made the turn going out to a worker. Took me 20 minutes to find it when I got back and an hour to repair the spring mechanism and get it working again.
 Diesel in the gas tank was something we always worried about with so many different drivers filling trucks with varying lengths of service, but to my knowledge we never had that happen (just about everything else do though).
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

All of our shorelines have a cord coming down from the ceiling, then a short coiled cord plugged into that.  The short cord is what is plugged into the truck.  If the auto ejector doesn't work, then the short cord comes apart from the cord from the ceiling.  This way usually no major damage is done.  The truck just has a short cord hanging from it while it goes to the call.

We have always had the rule that you do not talk on the radio while going through the open door.  Go responding before you pull out or wait til you are out the door.  I have never seen the radio trigger the door, but we always knew it was a possibility.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Patrick NC

yesterday I decided the wheel on this logstop was way too round! 🤔🤫 Luckily I wasn't 1/2 an inch lower. Blade is salvageable. Just knocked the set out some. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Patrick NC on February 24, 2021, 07:57:30 AMyesterday I decided the wheel on this logstop was way too round! 🤔🤫 Luckily I wasn't 1/2 an inch lower. Blade is salvageable. Just knocked the set out some.
OY, well it looks like the wheel won that fight and is still round. It could have been worse.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

OK, looks like it is my turn again. This one may put me in the running for the Hall Of Fame, no injuries, but on the stupidity level it rates right at the top of the heap. In fact I can't believe I am sharing this.
Context: I am working in the shop with my 5 YO Grandson. As he is wont to do he is hitting me with a pretty steady stream of questions, non-stop questions, except when I am doing or cutting something, then he pays attention.
 I am trying to make some simple signs by routing out the letters freehand then filling them with paint, then after drying I sand the face flush removing the excess paint and then apply urethane to seal it.
 SO the routing went fine and he really enjoyed that and giving me 'directions' ("cut that one next" etc) For the paint part I used some old enamel white spray paint but I only got about 1/3rd of the way through and the can ran out of pressure (I thought). Nothing was coming out and the little dribs indicated that the can was dead. Now with this break in the action, the questions resumed and I tried to answer them all as I was also trying to figure out how to salvage this and get the paint in so it could dry overnight. Being as the can was 'dead' and distracted by the inquisition, I grabbed an awl, and acid brush, a mallet, and a throw away drink cup to put the paint in.  I did think to lay a shop towel over the can then pierce a hole through them both. I popped the hole in easy and heard very light hissing which I kind of expected. I figured there was a pound or 3 of pressure left in the can. Now if I had just wiggled the awl loose with the hole on top of the can, I might have been fine because only the gas would come out. But no, I thought I could pull the awl as I rotated the can to put the paint in the cup. 

For a split second, the world turned white, I tried to turn the hole toward the cup but the pressure blew the cup 6 feet away and needless to say, it was too late I had paint all over everything. My grandson thought it was pretty cool but I might get in trouble with grandma for the mess I made. :D

It dried pretty quick and there was no chance to get it off the roller stand, floor or waste basket, so I get to 'enjoy it for years to some. Adding insult to injury, my right hand got plastered and with the dermatitis I dare not use anything stronger than soap the wash it off, so I guess I can live with it for a couple of days.
 In hindsight I would be the first one to ask me 'what the heck was I thinking?'
 Stupid.

WDH

Just a heads up.....don't go throwing gasoline on a fire :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WDH on March 05, 2021, 07:59:59 PM
Just a heads up.....don't go throwing gasoline on a fire :).
Good point. :D

firefighter ontheside

That there is what I'd call a mess.  Did you get the sign done?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 05, 2021, 09:07:53 PM
That there is what I'd call a mess.  Did you get the sign done?
heh, yeah, um, well... I had so much paint that I completely filled all the lettering in the sign. It will probably take 3 days to dry and cure. :D ;D  It is what it is... It's just a sign to direct folks to use the side door when they come her for the first time and can't figure out how to get in. I will just set it in a corner until it is good and cured.
But now that you mention it, I am headed out to the shop to do the stove now, maybe I should revisit the scene of the crime and check. I still feel like an iodiot, but I really can't help laughing every time I think how very stupid that was and that I was even completely and totally sober when I did it. If I had been drinking, I would have had an excuse.  ;D

Crusarius

I knew someone who just got a couple cans of the foam in a can that expands and fills cracks. The high quality plastic bag failed as he was walking down the stairs into his finished basement. The pictures he posted made us all cringe. Never trust those junk plastic bags...

Crusarius

That is why I bought an HVLP gun. sick of the stupid rattle cans getting partially done and then plugging up. The quality of them now is less than garbage.

sawguy21

Good thing you didn't 'paint' the young fella, there would have been no dealing with grandma. :D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 05, 2021, 09:44:17 PM
Good thing you didn't 'paint' the young fella, there would have been no dealing with grandma. :D
Now THAT I did think about before I drove that awl home and I put him behind me just in case. 

doc henderson

no wonder the grandkids like to hang with grandpa in the shop.  very exciting.   :o :o :o :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

Reminds me of the Mr. Bean skit of painting with fireworks.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

At least your grandson had a good time. Did you get him to promise not to tell Mommy and Grandma and see how long it took him to rat you out? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 06, 2021, 09:19:32 AM
Tom,

At least your grandson had a good time. Did you get him to promise not to tell Mommy and Grandma and see how long it took him to rat you out? :D
Nah, I didn't see the point in putting pressure on him. I knew it wouldn't take long before he mentioned it, the question was would anybody pick up on it and ask the details. Well it only took an hour.
 Aah, it's only a shop. I have many paint stains on the floor and walls from when my son was 'learning', I guess it was just my turn. But I reserve the right to feel stupid for a long time. ;D

Old Greenhorn

I should point out that I had considered asking him to keep it our secret (just for a fun thing thing between he and I which I knew would not last), but then I realized it would be a bad lesson in covering up your mistakes, so I took the high road and just told him "Nope Grandpa just did something really dumb, so now I have to clean it up and fix the mess I made, it was my fault because I didn't think it through." I thought that was the better lesson for him to take away.

WV Sawmiller

Years ago we were taking our granddaughter home and we had 6-8 inches of snow on our mountain road. I met a big dump truck and pulled too far over in spite of my wife's stern warning and got stuck in the ditch. There was a loader along a few minutes later so I hooked a tow cable to the truck and he pulled us right out - we weren't there 5 minutes. I told Molly to promise not to tell anyone Grandpa had been stuck. We took her home and got her older sisters off the bus. An hour or so later her mom got home and she ran outside and met her at the car and told her "Mommy, Mommy, Grandpa got stuck in the snow. Grandma told him not to but he did anyway." She got a kick out of ratting me out especially since she knew she was not supposed to. Now if you ask her to keep a secret she just says "Nope. I tell everything." Her sisters say the same thing about her.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

I use a cordless Ryobi little circular saw to cut stickers to length as I'm stacking lumber.  It was over a week ago that I stacked wood under my deck.  Today I went down there to get some stickers to use while stacking wood somewhere else.  I found my saw sitting out on a table that is not under cover.  I think it's rained 3 inches since last week.  Dang it.  I picked it up and took the battery out.  I will let it dry a good while before I try using it.  It occurred to me that the kiln shed is about 80 deg and really dry right now, so I put it in there with a fan blowing on it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

lazyflee

I use that ceramic engine spray paint for my big snowblower on my tractor. Had a fresh can of black, couldn't get the top off, smacked it on the edge of a table......top came off along with the nozzle. In my face, all over the garage. Ran to the door with my hand covering the uncontrollable spray and realized I couldn't open the door. Stood there until it ran out. Nasty stuff and still all over the garage floor. I'm real careful with those tops now!

Crusarius

I thought I had a decent setup on my portable table saw. I needed a zero clearance plate to I could put grooves into 3/8" stock. Well, apparently my zero clearance plate did not stay put even with a feather board on top of it holding it down. 

Just as I was turning back to run another piece through.....

out came my zero clearance plate at about mach 3...... 

wammo, straight into my gut. That kinda hurt, alot.

Now my zero clearance plate has a stop block screwed to it so it at least cannot come back towards me. Worst thing is my dad has my good tablesaw.

Thank You Sponsors!