iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

Twice now I've learned the lesson of table saw kickbacks, not the plate but enough to give me some respect for thrown wood. Once a piece came off and wedged itself in the weather-stripping of the wife's car's back windshield, luckily no real damage but it was tough to get it out. Next was a long piece, where I was cutting off the rounded edge of a 2x4, and it shot probably 40 feet across my shop and garage and clanged off some stuff, luckily that time I've got a motorcycle trailer standing up, in the way of a window I imagine the piece would have gone through. 

Those things are no joke. Hope you are ok @Crusarius 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

HemlockKing

Quote from: aigheadish on March 17, 2021, 03:21:35 PM
Twice now I've learned the lesson of table saw kickbacks, not the plate but enough to give me some respect for thrown wood. Once a piece came off and wedged itself in the weather-stripping of the wife's car's back windshield, luckily no real damage but it was tough to get it out. Next was a long piece, where I was cutting off the rounded edge of a 2x4, and it shot probably 40 feet across my shop and garage and clanged off some stuff, luckily that time I've got a motorcycle trailer standing up, in the way of a window I imagine the piece would have gone through.

Those things are no joke. Hope you are ok @Crusarius
I hate using table saws and angle grinders with cutting discs on. Haven't had any bad accidents to date yet though
A1

Old Greenhorn

I have never heard of a throat plate ripping out. That had to get your attention. Geez, glad you didn't loose anything. I will say that I never stand in that line of fire because table saws have too many things that can go wrong and there is a lot of power in there.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

wasn't a true plate it was actually a piece of walnut about 2" wide 18" long and 3/8" thick. was a reject piece for my table and did a great job of closing the giant gap up around the blade. it actually sat on the table. not in it like it should have. I was to lazy to make a real one.

Still tender where I got hit, the color is starting to show through. I will live, and I will remember! :)

cutoff wheels on grinders are definitely scary. never skimp on cheap wheels. and for the love of god ppl, put your guards back on your angle grinders!!! they are there for a reason!!!!

ok, rant over :)

firefighter ontheside

I have a bunch of phenolic resin pieces that would make great throat plates.  

I have been bit numerous times by not having the guard on angle grinder.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

Uhh yeah, with a thin cutoff wheel you can do about $600 of damage real quick and be thankful the finger is still there.

aigheadish

Do higher quality angle grinders inspire more confidence than say a Harbor Freight one? It is definitely one of those scary but very useful tools. My HF one has a difficult-to-turn-on switch that is also difficult to hold down/on. It makes it feel like any minute I can fudge it up and either lose my grip or toss it in a weird way. I've been hesitant to buy a higher quality one for fear that it'll be basically the same spinny nightmare. Do they make pistol grip angle grinders with a trigger? Anyone happy and confident with theirs?
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Nebraska

I have a Dewalt at the office we use for hoof work, it will peel the hide off of your thumb just the same as my cheapie Clark at home...note to self, always stop and put the leather gloves on they will help.... The notch in my thumb did fill back in after a while.

thecfarm

I have a makita that will lock in place. It will release with gloves on very easy, but hard to lock in place with gloves.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skip

A welders helper had a wheel explode and a piece of the wheel went in his leg just missed his artery :o .Found pieces embedded in the welders truck and some a couple hundred feet away, full scale investigation . He was using high dollar grinder, wheel not rated for the RPMs .Took him a while to heal up piece of wheel, grit, carharts etc in his leg took the E.R awhile to get it out.Good thing one of the swampers was an ex-corpsman.

Don P

Wow, how could a wheel not be rated for high speed.
I was working below a helper and felt something bounce off my back, he had gotten a cutoff wheel in a bind and it shattered. 

I much prefer a deadman switch on a grinder. My wife was up in a workbasket with a chainsaw head on a grinder touching up logs when it got away from her and chased her all over the basket, she hopped up on the railing till I could get to the plug. We went and bought one with a deadman switch that evening. Won't keep it from biting you but will keep it from chasing you down.

Hilltop366

Had a large cutoff wheel on a 7" angle grinder split in two, I was around 10 ft away bent over changing a motorcycle tire, Â½ of wheel hit me on the head and knocked me off my feet. Turns out you bleed quite a bit with a 2 inch cut on your head and you don't have to wait at ER when you walk in with blood running down your face but you get the oddest looks from other people. 

doc henderson

the cheap ones "rattle" more but I cannot wear them out.  I have a batt. operated DeWalt also.  I have a 9" HF one, that I would not have paid the money for a name brand, as I do not use it that often.  I like the flapper wheels to clean things up.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Don P on March 18, 2021, 08:52:52 AM
Wow, how could a wheel not be rated for high speed.
Don, you would be surprised.. Before I retired a part of my job (do it is your spare time..) was as the Machine Guarding Single Point of Accountability (SPA) (that is corporate speak for 'the guy we blame'). One of our plants had a wheel explosion and found it was an incorrect RPM rating so I have to go around our shop to every buffer, bench grinder, surface grinder, cylindrical grinder, thread grinder, ID grinder, and more to put labels on each one with it's spindle speed, then re-write all the wheel change procedures to include bold type about confirming the wheel speed rating before changing the wheel. (There were somewhere around 90 machines involved.)
 As a result, we started to learn a lot of wheels we used routinely did not match or exceed the various machine speeds. We caught and fixed these as we discovered them. I got hammered in an audit later on because they had added two buffer/grinders without telling me and they had no labels. ;D I should have been shot on the spot, according to the auditor. SHAME! (Dang pencil pushers.)
 In all my years studying safety issues with wheels and such, the grinding wheels and discs are bad but wire wheels are the worst. Strands come out and find the dangdist places to lodge, like eyeballs, legs, arms, faces, etc. I have had a very healthy respect for all of these bonded wheels since I was about 19 and had a 2" wide x 20" diameter cylindrical grinding wheel explode on me. Part went through the wall behind me, part went through the built up steel roof, and the rest we never found. Once was enough for me. We did have a guy in that shop that would blow up at least one wheel a week, even diamond wheels (which you have to work hard to do), but he drank a lot. :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Skip

The wheel that exploded was a counter fit Chinese knock of a name brand and did not meet specs >:(. Came in with legit order the warehouse man placed  . Legit wheels have max rpm and other info on them .

sawguy21

Somebody in the suppliers purchasing department should be hung out to dry! I had some battles over issues like that in the aircraft industry.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

I worked in aerospace hydraulics early in my career and did a stint in Quality control while I was recovering from an injury. I learned early on about the strict traceability requirements through the entire life of an item, from raw material to scrap. They are dead serious about that and I lived through an investigation where the FAA and DOD came in with no advance notice, erected a 1,000 sq.ft secure enclosure in the middle of our shop, took every valve we had in stock and locked them up under a guard, then collected every piece of paperwork generated during the manufacture of those parts while they slowly disassembled them and traced the source of every single component and looked at every machinist that performed each machining op on those parts. This was all because of a series of failures resulting in losses of a particular model military fighter jet. They were trying to locate the root cause and one of our valves was a suspect. It was pretty tense in the shop for about a month. Then one day, it ended like a light switch was shut off. Another team at some other plant across the country had found the root cause in another component and the inspectors never came back, but they left us with a mess to clean up and document.
 Not every industry has such a strict process and traceability. I learned a lot during that event that made me into a pretty good troubleshooter over the following decades. I found a lot of causes that everyone before me had missed because I drilled into details they had not. I also learned to have a very healthy respect for liability as a manufacturer, one that many never seem to learn.

doc henderson

I was on a call with my uncle and cousin regarding some health issues.  my uncle has developed an arthritis and now his blood pressure is up.  my cousin means well, she works in a nursing home and is an emt and team leader.  the doc added a new bp med, in addition to the old one, and later with lab work, showed a normal uric acid (they were treating presumed gout)  they added a third.  of course my cousin "bless her heart" thought it was the end of the world even though he had not started any of the new meds.  I of course deal with this all DanG day at work and was multi tasking.  oh by the way, I put a new blade on the table saw, and it did not cut well and made a lot of smoke.

I guess I subconsciously thought surely a carbide blade could cut walnut backwards with no problem.   :o :o :o   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

this is what I was working on.  

was my wife's friends birthday yesterday.

Old Greenhorn

Brain cramp. There is a lot of that going around. We all get 'em. The project looks like it came out OK anyway. ;D :D

firefighter ontheside

At least you figured it out pretty quickly.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

still got my fingers,  took another 16th off the edge.   ;)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 18, 2021, 01:01:07 PM
At least you figured it out pretty quickly.  
:D :D :D :D
 I am thinking that he got some pretty strong clues in short order. ;D ;D
 Let he amongst us who is without sin....

doc henderson

do not work distracted.  I was not "working or sawing"  but changing a blade and talking on the phone.  may have even rolled my eyes a couple times.  but it got me when I was cutting.  smoke and a board the wanted to climb up the blade.   :o   8)   :)

you can see the lingering smoke in the pics... or is that the spirit of the blade?   ;D

Crusarius

Quote from: aigheadish on March 18, 2021, 08:08:46 AM
Do higher quality angle grinders inspire more confidence than say a Harbor Freight one? It is definitely one of those scary but very useful tools. My HF one has a difficult-to-turn-on switch that is also difficult to hold down/on. It makes it feel like any minute I can fudge it up and either lose my grip or toss it in a weird way. I've been hesitant to buy a higher quality one for fear that it'll be basically the same spinny nightmare. Do they make pistol grip angle grinders with a trigger? Anyone happy and confident with theirs?
all my grinders have a locking slide switch. I hate the paddle switch they are never easy to hold in odd locations.

The nicer / better grinders I have are 11,000 rpm. This makes you pay real close attention to what you buy to put on it. I learned real quick cheap cone wire brushes leave your belly full of long metal spines. Those are a huge no go. Cheap cutoff wheels I have taken to many ppl to the hospital because of. Not from my shop but from my firefighter days.

I always say this. if the tool is comfortable your going to be much better at using it. If you can never get into a comfortable position using it, you will never be great with it.

Thank You Sponsors!