iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

doc thats funny. the worst thing is till I read what you wrote I thought it was a reverse rotation table saw.

I think I need to get a new job and some sleep!

Walnut Beast

Nice job Doc. I bet she loved it 👍

doc henderson

she will get it this weekend, thanks!  we plan to go to a running race in the town she teaches in.  we will surprise her with our presence and presents.  I hope she does not read this.  :o   lol  her husband retired early from Halliburton, and is the guy I went fishing with the last 4 times I went fishing.  the girls run, and the guys fish.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

Thanks @Crusarius I just saw the paddle switch variety, looking through a catalog, yesterday, and thought that looked like a decent option, maybe not... I also saw the higher quality (name branded, at least) weren't as pricey as I thought, so maybe it's time to go shopping. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Nebraska

@doc henderson  I see your friend received  a quality  education.  ;)

Crusarius

I have dewalt grinders. I love them. All of the ones I have ever tried with the paddle switch I hated. Mine all have the slide and lock switch. It takes more work to lock them on than it does to shut them off. This sometimes is a pain but after I had someone elses cheap knockoff grinder get away from me I prefer it.

With the lock switch make sure you always have a good grip on it. I had one get away from me when I was grinding the plasma cut corners of some 16 gauge stainless. The grinder jumped out of my hand took off up my arm across my chest and then down the other arm. I ended up catching it by the cord still running. Only thing that saved me was the flannel I was wearing. From that day I have been much more careful and meticulous about the grinders I buy.

aigheadish

Yeah, that's real sketchy! I'll give it to the HF one I have that it's hard to turn on but it turns off pretty quickly once I release the button. Doesn't slow down that quickly but at least it's on its way if I lose control. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

I.   CAN'T.    EVEN.......

OK, OK. I too have seen photos like this in the past and said to myself, 'how can a person be SO stupid?' Well, now I know. No excuses, really stupid. No, this was NOT my chosen direction of fall. I had just minutes before dropped two other trees right near the tailgate of the truck to make loading easier without issue and spot on target to make bucking and loading easier. These are small trees so not a lot to work with on the stump, the hinge was whisper thin and it wouldn't go over. This one I felled against the lean and got it over the lean point but it just wouldn't fall, then the wind picked up and took it like a kite, tore the hinge and went right into my cab. No biggie, just a tiny ding that is barely visible, but still my humility took a nose dive.
 Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

Now that is a mushroom log logger right there.  be honest, you were keeping it up off the ground to avoid contamination with some poisonous variety.  you prob. just saved someone's life.  DanG, don't be so humble @Old Greenhorn    :)  I sure hope the growers you sell to appreciate the sacrifices you are willing to make.   ;)  well at least the chain was not on backwards....  right?   ;D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Dohhh!  Could have  been worse for sure.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

I note that it took 21 minutes for the first response. Longer than I guessed. ;D No, there were no other buffoon like mistakes today, unless you count my back, but that is normal and not 'dumb related'.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 19, 2021, 05:10:59 PM
Dohhh!  Could have  been worse for sure.
Yeah, I don't like working in 25 MPH+ winds, and that really was what got me, but I should have known better. I hollered like heck the entire time the tree was falling, but it didn't seem to help much. :D

sawguy21

It reminds me of a customer who brought his new to him saw in because it wouldn't start. It had obviously been straight gassed, he sucked it up and paid for the rebuild. A few days later he brought it back, no power. I checked it, the saw was running fine but he didn't know to start the chain moving before starting the cut. Fast forward a few weeks. He is back with the saw in a box, biggest part was the carburetor. It seems he came upon his mates trying to drop a large Ponderosa pine, they had gone all the way around leaving a bolt in the middle. No problem, he cut through it with his longer bar. The tree took out the saw and his truck. These guys were from a community of loggers. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

GAB

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 19, 2021, 09:42:48 PM
It reminds me of a customer who brought his new to him saw in because it wouldn't start. It had obviously been straight gassed, he sucked it up and paid for the rebuild. A few days later he brought it back, no power. I checked it, the saw was running fine but he didn't know to start the chain moving before starting the cut. Fast forward a few weeks. He is back with the saw in a box, biggest part was the carburetor. It seems he came upon his mates trying to drop a large Ponderosa pine, they had gone all the way around leaving a bolt in the middle. No problem, he cut through it with his longer bar. The tree took out the saw and his truck. These guys were from a community of loggers. ::)
These guys were from a community of loggers. ::)  
Your customer must have been the newest member, and needed to do a lot more studying.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 19, 2021, 09:42:48 PM
I don't want to sound judgmental, but if I ever did stuff like that I would not show my face ever again. We all learn and make mistakes, but geez!

sawguy21

:D I thought all of them came out of the womb with a saw in their hands but apparently not. At least he was able to laugh at himself.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 20, 2021, 11:26:05 AM........ At least he was able to laugh at himself.:D
If he couldn't, he would be alone.
 We all do dumb stuff, but that fella seems to have a streak going. Perhaps not the sharpest tool in the shed.

WDH

As you already know OGH, I wrote the book on "Dumb" and published it like 2 weeks ago exactly, almost to the minute. I have recovered quite well.  However, on my next edition, OGH, you can have a chapter yourself.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

OH, that's not good. Glad to hear you are coming along since your book. I hope I can manage to not reach quite that level.
 We all have those moments and no matter how hard we try, occasionally we just mis-think something. In fact, now that I recall, when I was an active fire instructor, I did a session on "non-thinking syndrome: NTS, the silent killer" which illuminated a bunch )with photos and videos) of serious incidents resulting from a simple brain cramp anybody could have had, it just happened at the wrong moment in time.
 Nobody is immune.

Silverfoxfintry

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 18, 2021, 10:49:49 AM
Quote from: Don P on March 18, 2021, 08:52:52 AM
Wow, how could a wheel not be rated for high speed.
Don, you would be surprised.. Before I retired a part of my job (do it is your spare time..) was as the Machine Guarding Single Point of Accountability (SPA) (that is corporate speak for 'the guy we blame'). One of our plants had a wheel explosion and found it was an incorrect RPM rating so I have to go around our shop to every buffer, bench grinder, surface grinder, cylindrical grinder, thread grinder, ID grinder, and more to put labels on each one with it's spindle speed, then re-write all the wheel change procedures to include bold type about confirming the wheel speed rating before changing the wheel. (There were somewhere around 90 machines involved.)
As a result, we started to learn a lot of wheels we used routinely did not match or exceed the various machine speeds. We caught and fixed these as we discovered them. I got hammered in an audit later on because they had added two buffer/grinders without telling me and they had no labels. ;D I should have been shot on the spot, according to the auditor. SHAME! (Dang pencil pushers.)
In all my years studying safety issues with wheels and such, the grinding wheels and discs are bad but wire wheels are the worst. Strands come out and find the dangdist places to lodge, like eyeballs, legs, arms, faces, etc. I have had a very healthy respect for all of these bonded wheels since I was about 19 and had a 2" wide x 20" diameter cylindrical grinding wheel explode on me. Part went through the wall behind me, part went through the built up steel roof, and the rest we never found. Once was enough for me. We did have a guy in that shop that would blow up at least one wheel a week, even diamond wheels (which you have to work hard to do), but he drank a lot. :D
One of the Oil Rigs in the North Sea I used to visit had a brand new 10" bench grinder. VERY LARGE SIGN ATTACHED " DO NOT USE" Also the connecting plug removed. Some idiot had specified that it was fitted with a "Quick Stop" The first time it was used the Left hand Grindstone unscrewed and shattered inside the guard. Sometimes health and safety can go too far.

lazyflee

The world slowed down as I just watched this sucker roll right off the other side. Rookie!!

sawguy21

So THAT'S what those stop thingees are for. :D

terrifictimbersllc

Don't worry you can do that with some experience too.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

21incher

OGH I hate to admit it but I did that to my Little John Deer also. Even had a rope tied from it to the tree so the tree would fall in that direction :-[. Found out ROPs are good protection from falling trees when you misjudge the height.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

firefighter ontheside

@lazyflee do you mean to tell me that power feed doesn't stop that from happening?  What good is it then?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!