iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyflee

The manual clearly states EDITED BY ADMIN Will be calling Woodmizer tomorrow

WV Sawmiller

Boy am I glad I've never done anything like that! ::)

I was sawing Saturday and forgot to lower my claw but my debarker found it before the blade. Then I did the same thing on the very next log and knocked some paint off the claw and ruined that blade. Duh! ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Wow, nearly 10 days without anybody admitting to doing something dumb only to find the last post was me anyway. ::) I had a customer call and wanted a couple of rough 2X12's about 14' long as sideboards to a new dump trailer and as luck would have it I had a couple of 15' ash 2X12's so I slid them off on the short forks of my FEL and took them out to the front lot. He'd mentioned trimming them to the exact length so I brought a square and my 15 amp Porter Cable 7-1/4" circle saw. I set the saw on my tool box between the tractor and FEL arms. When I got to the lot I lowered the boards on the FEL and caught the handle of the saw between the FEL arms and broke the pot metal on the handle. It still works but is not long for this world. Then when the customer arrived I had to take a belt sander to the ends of one of the boards to try to trim it to fit and used up a couple of belts just trying to do that. I just checked and see the saws like mine ranged in price from $54-$150. Pretty amazing to see that much difference. Anyway it looks like the $60 for the 2 boards will likely go to TSC for a replacement saw on my next trip to town. Like the guy buying gum for 25 cents a pack of 5 and selling it for a nickel a stick. He got a lot of business but didn't make a lot of money.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

I saw that you had made a post here and my heart sank. But was very glad to see it was only a tool. That's a bummer, but a LOT cheaper than an ER visit. Besides, everyone needs a new saw once in a while. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

My turn.....I forgot to close the latches on my quick attach bale fork.... no animals were injured during the loading of the bale. I was fortunate. Got distracted by a phone call....  ::)

doc henderson

I remember doing something dumb the other day, so I hope that makes you feel better... but now I do not remember what it was, so sorry.  I am sure it was not that dumb...!!!  :) :) :) :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

doc henderson

yeah, I meant relative to me, not you !  not as dumb as usual for me!   :'( :-[ :o ;) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

Would not be the end of the week if I had not done some thing dumb.  But, no blood, no harm.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WV Sawmiller

I agree - there are degrees of dumbness. :D
Howard Green

firefighter ontheside

I'm pretty certain I did something really dumb this week, but I have blocked it from my memory.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

Well  that was the dumb thing I was owning up to. Mostly to self reinforce and act as attrition for a near but completely  avoidable disaster.  I was hurrying, distracted, and my brain was at work, not on the job at hand. I know nobody else ever has that  happen.... :)

doc henderson

PTSDD.  you can guess what the first D stands for.

trapper

building a rack to cut firewood on.  One end needed a little trimming.   Yep hit the screw  I just put in with the chainsaw
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Old Greenhorn

Did the same thing when I made my sawbuck.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

terrifictimbersllc

I sawed my sawmill tire 2 weeks ago.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Don P

I put a fork in the trailer tire, I tried but Jesse said he was all out of 4" plugs  :D

Nebraska

That fork in the tire deal was similar to my corner of the grapple bucket a few weeks ago  no plug that big!!

sawguy21

We were cutting up some junk helicopter blade boxes, the saw stopped cutting halfway through one. Yep, a brand new $20,000 blade was hiding in it. One of only two in the country! We very nearly lost our jobs over that one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

terrifictimbersllc

I sawed my tooth a week ago.  Chain turner tooth I mean.  Guess it doesnt count because it wasnt today. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

RAYAR

This would actually be "Did Something Smart". I tried to cut into a backstop, but the blade guard I built wouldn't allow it. Gotta love it. The guard extends 1/4" below the blade.

mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

terrifictimbersllc

Did anyone ever have a helper who started waving his arms?

More than once I've thought I was going to saw into my clamp or something worse. 

But the guy just likes to wave his arms when he talks.  Downright confusing. 

mike_belben

Fuelling saw while telling kid to stay out of the bonfire smoke..  Waste motor oil in the gas tank. 

Dangit. 
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on April 03, 2021, 05:49:29 PM
I sawed my tooth a week ago.  Chain turner tooth I mean.  Guess it doesnt count because it wasnt today.
It counts man, it counts.

sawguy21

@mike_belben now that is funny. Very annoying but still funny.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!