iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

It did still run but quite poorly.  I was at a ladys house from church to burn a stump pile for her and didnt even realize i had no other gas.  Got it done.
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: mike_belben on April 04, 2021, 10:05:08 PM
It did still run but quite poorly.  
This part made me really laugh...NEVER give up man!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

No.. A quitter i am not.  Way too stubborn for it. 

Praise The Lord

moosehunter

It's 5:10, I have an appointment at 5:30. What to do with 20 minutes? Oh ya, I hit something with chain saw while bucking logs the other day. I'll change the chain. Got the sharp chain pretty quick. It was actually where it should be. For me that's pretty good. Now where did I leave any one of my dozen screnches? 5 minutes, the clock is ticking..... Take the dull chain off, yup, many tips rounded off. Clean everything up put it back together, put the bar protector on, put the saw back and shut the door on the tool box. What do you suppose is sitting on top of the tool box? Ayup, the sharp chain. At least I put the dull chain on in the correct direction! I still got the sharp chain on by 5:30. 
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

You should have after that much practice. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: moosehunter on April 05, 2021, 06:28:20 PM
It's 5:10, I have an appointment at 5:30. What to do with 20 minutes? Oh ya, I hit something with chain saw while bucking logs the other day. I'll change the chain. Got the sharp chain pretty quick. It was actually where it should be. For me that's pretty good. Now where did I leave any one of my dozen screnches? 5 minutes, the clock is ticking..... Take the dull chain off, yup, many tips rounded off. Clean everything up put it back together, put the bar protector on, put the saw back and shut the door on the tool box. What do you suppose is sitting on top of the tool box? Ayup, the sharp chain. At least I put the dull chain on in the correct direction! I still got the sharp chain on by 5:30.
mh
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D :) Oh man, if I had a nickel for every time I did something 'Like' this. Sorry man, but that's funny. I thought it was just me.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

sawguy21

No, it's not just you. Believe me! :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nebraska

Read that one to my wife she said,  "hmmm, sounds like you". I think I only have six screches though,   laughing  with you... 

thecfarm

Working on my gravel driveway. I had a few ruts from the spring thaw. Don't need water running down the ruts. I pick up the gravel that gets plowed up beside the dirt road I live on. I mow beside the road so I don't want to mow the ridge with gravel and rocks in it. I had a bucket full of dirt that I was shoveling into the ruts. I set the brake and put the shovel beside the tractor, by the front tire. Just as my feet hit the ground the tractor starts to slowly roll down hill. No big deal, I just get back onto the tractor and reset the brake. Remember where I put the shovel? Just about as I get back into the seat, I hear a noise that I should not be hearing!! Shovel is under the front tire of tractor. On well that shovel was just about worn out anyways,  :D  ::). I needed a new one.  ::) I could of moved the shovel very easily, but forgot I put it there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

At least you know a hardware store where you can get a new one ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Probably even gets an employee discount. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

You're gonna need a bigger shovel if you want to use it as a wheel chock.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 06, 2021, 10:21:05 AM
You're gonna need a bigger shovel if you want to use it as a wheel chock.
My son tried using his fire helmet vas a wheel chock for the engine and it didn't work out so good. Actually that wasn't his plan, he thought his gear was out of the way, but the driver didn't see it. I ran over my own pager once at a call, it fell off my bunkers when climbing in the engine and I ran the dang thing over. I think both those things happened during the 3 days of non-stop calls during hurricane Irene. We were all fried.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

@Old Greenhorn I think you know if a firetruck can run over it, firefighters will run over it.  We have ran over helmets, turnout gear, station boots(does a number on steel toes), wheel chocks, radios, buckets, mailboxes, etc.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

samandothers

My wheel chock was a saw box.  Parked tractor on side of hill and set parking brake.  Pull the saw from the box and set box in behind tractor and commenced cutting.  Later in the day went to put the saw up and found the box chocking the tire.  Parking brake must need adjusting! 

firefighter ontheside

Well, this dumb thing really happened about 6 months ago I think.  I put in a new kitchen faucet back then and I guess the cold water valve under the sink has been leaking since then.  Sometimes when you shut a valve off, it will leak after re-opening.  I know this and always check.  It must have taken quite a while to actually show itself and I didn't notice it at the time.  Well, fast forward 6 months and my wife called me at work last night.  There is water dripping in son's room below.  Ceiling paneling is buckled.  I told her it was probably a leak in a shutoff above the room and not a big deal.  Well, since I found the leak in the kitchen, I also found water damage in the wall, insulation, subfloor and even some wet spots are now visible in the hardwood floor in the kitchen.  Didn't notice that because of the rug in front of the sink.  What a mess I have to deal with.  Have to remove a bunch of dry wall in son's room and at least the floor is carpet squares.  Also had some mold in the space above the ceiling.  The good news is that I replaced the valve and it doesn't leak.  Oh well.  Its not like I wanted to mill walnut today.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

Faucet troubles brought back a memory. When my wife's folks retired down to the redneck riviera whenever one us 4 son's or son in laws would visit we would check on things and fix up. During one of our visits I noticed the kitchen faucet was dripping, the water was not the greatest on plumbing. Wanting to get it done and not make multiple trips to the hardware I just bought a whole new faucet and installed it. Thinking the old one would work just fine out at the cleaning sink on the dock I took it downstairs to put on the shelf for later. Yup, there were three others lined up, great minds think alike  :D.

WDH

Mathematical truths:

For a right triangle a squared +b squared = c squared.  
Areas of a circle pi r squared
Circumference of a circle 2 pi r
10 x 10 = 100
For plumbing 1 trip to Lowes = 3 trips to Lowes 
:D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

@WDH as the farmer said to his son returning from college, "son everybody knows that pie R round!"   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Some one comes into the store for plumbing parts. I tell them we close at 6.  ;D  :(
If we all did plumbing as much as sawing, we would know how to do it better!!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on April 09, 2021, 07:05:55 AM
@WDH as the farmer said to his son returning from college, "son everybody knows that pie R round!"   :)
Yes, pie are round, but Cornbread are square!
This is why I have MORE than several drawers with all those mis-bought parts and fitting and leftovers. It is SO nice to find a leak on a Sunday night and just go out to the shop, pick the fittings I need and fix it in 20 minutes with no trip to lowes. The problem is find the fitting, the RIGHT fitting. But when it happens, it's golden.
 I tried to pick up some 1/4" couplings and close nips the other day because I have no more in the drawer and holy cow Lowes and HD are very proud of their fittings. I'll wait to hit a plumbing supply and get them for a buck a piece. One of the few things I miss about working was pulling all those fitting out of the scrap barrel. I went 40 years without hardly ever buying any, just collecting discards.

HemlockKing

Quote from: thecfarm on April 09, 2021, 07:07:30 AM
Some one comes into the store for plumbing parts. I tell them we close at 6.  ;D  :(
If we all did plumbing as much as sawing, we would know how to do it better!!
I have no experience as a plumber other than a few years ago I took on a "labourer" position on a plumbing crew, turns out all they really needed me for was making runs to the hardware store, 3 sometimes 4 times a day :D so the previous comments gave me a chuckle 
A1

Magicman

Marty and I only had to make 2 trips to Home Depot last evening.  (The hardware store was closed.)  The first trip was a bust because they were out of water heater element wrenches.  Yes the element(s) can be removed with an oversize crescent wrench combined with a small pipe wrench.  We did OK on the second trip and got the total package which included 2ea. elements and thermostats.  Might as well change out everything while the tank is drained.  Supper was late.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

OG, my dad has several plastic tubs where he keeps all his extra plumbing fittings and valves and various other extra plumbing stuff.  I always look there first before I head to the store.  When I do go to the store I always get extra and put what I don't use in the tubs.  As you say, It's nice to find what you need at home and save a trip.  Mom and dad live walking distance away(I drive the mule).  Someday I will inherit those tubs and It will be up to me to keep the tubs supplied.  I ended up replacing the leaky valve with a shark bite type valve.  I intended to replace hot and cold, but didn't end up replacing the hot.  I rebuilt it with parts from one of the spares from the tubs.  I will of course put the extra shark bite I bought in the tubs.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!