iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Yesterday after jointing and planing oak, JohnM and I dove into replacing the water pump on my 7.3, which turned 23 years old this month.  After much consternation and gnashing of teeth, I got the new water pump intstalled, including new upper and lower hoses.  After pouring $70 of antifreeze into the resivoure, I realized that I still had a leak.  Evidently, the leak was not from the water pump, but rather, from the radiator.  This morning I called around and found a new radiator.  After an hour and a half, it was installed and the coolant that I poured in yesterday was recycled and poured back into the engine and new radiator, a test ride ensued.  Thankfully, there were no leaks.  I'm a bit agitated that I replaced a water pump unnecessarily and cross threaded one of the nine bolts when installing.  So far there are no leaks.

The radiator was a relatively easy swap.  Afterwards, I gave it a wash.  The first one in at least half a year.  Next week it will get an oil change and be ready to head to Jake's in a week and a half.
Caveman

jpassardi

End of the day yesterday, sun going down, tired and starting to get cold. I was trying to finish up and was flitching boards, someone stopped and was asking questions and I hit a side stop that was a bit too high. At least the blade wasn't brand new...
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

WV Sawmiller

Is flitching boards the same as edging flitches? ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jpassardi

Yeah, something like that  ;)
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: caveman on April 02, 2023, 08:31:25 PM
Yesterday after jointing and planing oak, JohnM and I dove into replacing the water pump on my 7.3, which turned 23 years old this month.  After much consternation and gnashing of teeth, I got the new water pump intstalled, including new upper and lower hoses.  After pouring $70 of antifreeze into the resivoure, I realized that I still had a leak.  Evidently, the leak was not from the water pump, but rather, from the radiator.  This morning I called around and found a new radiator.  After an hour and a half, it was installed and the coolant that I poured in yesterday was recycled and poured back into the engine and new radiator, a test ride ensued.  Thankfully, there were no leaks.  I'm a bit agitated that I replaced a water pump unnecessarily and cross threaded one of the nine bolts when installing.  So far there are no leaks.

The radiator was a relatively easy swap.  Afterwards, I gave it a wash.  The first one in at least half a year.  Next week it will get an oil change and be ready to head to Jake's in a week and a half.
Nah, bring the Bronco, I wanna see some of the herd ;D
I miss my Bronco. Stupid move on my part. What was I thinking  ???

Brent

Magicman

Yup, I once owned a '68 and a '74.  Sometime life takes strange twists when the twisted ends don't meet.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

Some of those old square body Bronco's are currently listed for sale at $30K, 40K, 50K, or more... :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

I don't want to hear about it.   no_no
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

It's been a long time since anybody has posted here. I guess folks are getting gun shy and just keeping it to themselves.  ;D
 Well I restarted the shop stove for a morning warmup and was cleaning up a bit and found this crate.

I had set that on the floor behind the stove and put a small fan on it to send warm air down near the front of the shop where I had a project curing. I guess it was a bit too close during a morning burn out stage and I never saw it. I don't worry too much about that stuff because of concrete floors and block walls around the stove. Guess I should pay more attention.... maybe.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crossroads

Was getting ready to leave for a mobile job this morning and was a little distracted because of the weather. 

Just before heading out the door, I decided I needed to move a pack of sharp blades to the other side of the garage for safety. I leaned them up against the router table and reached for something. Apparently I got to close the a blade 🤷‍♂️ and had to call the customer to reschedule while I go get stitches. 

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

aigheadish

Got you good Crossroads! I hope it heals nicely.

Tom's milk crate reminded of something dumb I did a couple years ago on vacation...

We were road tripping around California, just me and my lovely wife. We stopped along CA-1 at a hotel, near Santa Cruz, if I'm recalling properly, for the night. The weather was a bit overcast but not too cold. We got in our room and just kind of set our stuff down along the wall, normal junk like our luggage, a backpack or two and we were just hanging out. There was a heater built into the wall, the likes of which I'd never seen, a big toaster of sorts, that had a thermostat on it. As the evening went on it got a little chilly, so I turned the thermostat up a bit so it kicked on as the room got colder, so I didn't have to wake up in the middle of the night. Kick on it did, at maybe 2am or so. I never noticed getting cold or anything but I did notice some terrible smell that woke me up. Turns out I'd tried, almost successfully, to burn the hotel down as the heater was trying real hard to set a plastic coating on one of my backpacks on fire. I guess I set it down much too close to the heater. Doesn't seem like much but that's one of the times in my life I've been most scared, for us and everyone else in the hotel.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Crossroads

It should heal good, I got in there and scrubbed it out good. Got updated on my tetanus shot. No stitches though just a blob of glue. Kinda looks like a pair of boots I repaired with shoe goo. My bandaid didn't want to stick because of the mineral oil on my hands, so I got out the supper 33 electrical tape and put a couple of wraps over the bandaid. The nurse was impressed and said she "loves the logger bandage " 👍🏻

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

First aid?  You mean whisky and duct tape?  :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Don P

A proper course of disinfection keeps cognition at bay.

Southside

On a positive note at least you know you have the sharpener dialed in good.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Lol, yeah that one was sharp. 

Amazing how duct tape and electrical tape can stick to about anything, but a bandaid has to pretty much have a prepped surface to stick. 

rusticretreater

I have seen electrical tape that wouldn't stick to anything. Not even itself!  If you want the skin to come off with the band-aid, duct tape is just the thing.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Crossroads

I used to work with a crusty old electrician, he always said super 33 is the only real electrical tape.....

Magicman

And he was and still is correct, 3M Scotch 33.

aigheadish

I did something dumb by not inspecting the kid's car. Bear with me a long but good story:

Prom night baby! My son, junior in high school, has prom tonight. Maybe you've read of his adventures in driving? First time he went out driving (unlicensed) we get pulled over by the cops. Two hours after he got his real license we get pulled over by the cops. Now, prom night.

He's coming to my house, from theater rehearsal, to pick up his suit. He's driving a 2007 dodge caliber. It's junk but fine for a kid, at least up until about an hour ago when I get a phone call.

He says "dad I'm in the middle of the turn onto Dayton-Farmersville (from Rt 4 a busy 2 lane road) and my axle isn't attached to my transmission, at least that's what the guy that stopped said" I told him to make sure he was standing in a safe spot and he said that the guy said he'd need a tow truck. I have a backhoe, so off I go.

It's probably about 3/4 of a mile down the way so, luckily, he was close. I arrive to find he couldn't have got to a better spot in this intersection, it's a big intersection and his car is mostly on the Dayton-Farmersville part so traffic can actually move everywhere without much trouble. There was another guy that pulled up as I was pulling up (then the cops showed up too) and he helped lookout and hook up chains (thanks good Samaritan!) and I dragged her back home. He got very lucky, he was likely doing over 50mph seconds earlier and travels on the highway pretty frequently. I'm assuming this much rust is not conducive to fixing the problem and that I'm now on the hunt for a new(er) car.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Crossroads

Oops, glad he kept it out of the ditch and was close to home 

customsawyer

Am I the only one that thinks about changing the title of this to "I do something dumb every day"?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Walnut Beast

Glad he didn't get hurt and heck yeah on the tow rig 💪

SawyerTed

Quote from: customsawyer on April 22, 2023, 06:54:06 PM
Am I the only one that thinks about changing the title of this to "I do something dumb every day"?
Or "Which Dumb Thing Do I Report Today?"
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!