iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric B&D chainsaw Rotor Gear Replacement Help

Started by drasko111, November 01, 2019, 07:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drasko111

Hello my dear experts! I need some guidance on how to remove this plastic white gear and put a new one in, the small metal gear from the rotor is in my way...

I'm doing this stuff for the first time, managed to disassemble everything and i know how to put it back except this main part...

Not sure what i should turn, grab, hold etc....

The chainsaw is a Black and Decker GK35

luap

I looked at a online  parts diagram to look for any type of fasteners and did not see any. The hex strongly suggests that it is threaded on. If you look carefully at the end of the shaft you may see the start of a thread. Due to rotation it is probably a left hand thread.  Grab the stator in a vise with soft jaws or wrap the stator in leather and grip it in the vise. Old leather boot tops work well for this. Use a socket rather then a wrench.  The other possibility is it is pressed on. Better plan on replacing both gears if that is the case as you will probably break it using a gear puller.

drasko111

Quote from: luap on November 01, 2019, 10:37:54 AM
I looked at a online  parts diagram to look for any type of fasteners and did not see any. The hex strongly suggests that it is threaded on. If you look carefully at the end of the shaft you may see the start of a thread. Due to rotation it is probably a left hand thread.  Grab the stator in a vise with soft jaws or wrap the stator in leather and grip it in the vise. Old leather boot tops work well for this. Use a socket rather then a wrench.  The other possibility is it is pressed on. Better plan on replacing both gears if that is the case as you will probably break it using a gear puller.
Hey Luap, thanks for your time and reply.
Now that i look really really close at the top i think i see a thread which is *DanG thin as a hair...
Do i need to do something or can i just try to turn the hex with a socket with the method you described?

luap

The whole idea is to grip one end without damaging it and turn the other. So holding the piece in your hand and knowing what tools you have may suggest another method to you. With the likely left hand thread I would apply force in a clockwise direction first. If nothing moves try the other direction. It appears to be a composite material so no benefit would be gained by applying any heat. If it is metal then a little heat from a propane torch may help.

drasko111

Quote from: luap on November 01, 2019, 12:59:03 PM
The whole idea is to grip one end without damaging it and turn the other. So holding the piece in your hand and knowing what tools you have may suggest another method to you. With the likely left hand thread I would apply force in a clockwise direction first. If nothing moves try the other direction. It appears to be a composite material so no benefit would be gained by applying any heat. If it is metal then a little heat from a propane torch may help.
I did it! I cut a V shape piece out of 2 wooden pieces for each side of the vise. The wood pressed the armature perfectly on 4 points and with great grip. Used a socket and turned it easy. 

luap

Thank You Sponsors!