iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood processor Pictures

Started by Limberjack, December 15, 2020, 12:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limberjack

Here are a few pics of the processor I am building. Been working on it for 3 months now. Hoping to be splitting wood in the next month or 2. 

Limberjack

I will post more pictures as progress is made. 

jmur1

Hi Limberjack:
Nice looking project - your shop is sweet!
Two things jump out at me - that you may have already covered but thought I would throw out there.
Have you considered any cross braces or gussets for your framework?  It could bend up if it was smacked by a forklift or stray log.    
The axles have a long cantilever on them since they are clamped closer to the center.  They may bend if the weight or road shock gets too much.  

Anyway looks very good pictures are awesome.
jmur1 
Easy does it

Walnut Beast

Looks great. I agree go the extra mile and beef up some areas that need it 👍

Limberjack

Before we paint it we are going to check out what needs to be beefed up. Add metal where we need it and all that good stuff. We are going to add outriggers on the side of the unit so the weight of the logs and processor is off the axles when in use.  Thanks for the input guys!!

mike_belben

Always good to see new builds.  Thanks for posting.  

Youve got a pretty tall drop and small engine.  Thats not meant as a criticism, but i hope im being helpful in pointing out that machines with slower top down cutting and tall drops tend to have the piece flip into the chamber.  Are you going for full flip on purpose or do you have a drop table or something planned to keep pieces from landing vertical? 

What are your plans for fixing bad drops?  Reach in?

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

I just noticed its dual engine.  How are you laying out the hydraulic stuff and whats gonna buck the rounds?
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

This is gonna be kool.

I want to build one but don't have much reason to. Just want the challenge.

Hilltop366

cutterboy

Thanks for sharing with us. I'm looking forward to seeing your processor process firewood.
btw, Your shop is great.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Crusarius on December 15, 2020, 03:30:15 PMI want to build one but don't have much reason to. Just want the challenge.

That should be enough reason shouldn't it? :)

Limberjack

More pictures I took last night. 

Limberjack

I am running 2 engines. 1, 21hp Kawasaki air cooled engine for the log splitter with a 28 gpm 2 stage pump, 5" ram cylinder 30" stroke. Engine #2 is a 27hp liquid cooled Kawasaki that will run the saw (17gpm Prince pump with a parker MGG20025 motor and a 30" Oregon 404 bar) and everything else. 

jmur1

Hi Limberjack:
One of the things Ive heard alot of discussion on is the chunk alignment in the trough after the cut.  I see your push plate is big and the cylinder is big too.  I suspect your intention is some big diameter wood.  What is the plan for the side support of the chunk after it falls into the trough?  If you have too much flat zone (around your push plate base) your log chunk  will not center up after the fall.  This means a constant "hands on" requirement of the split.  That is definitely something to have solved early in the build! 
She is a beast - great work!  
jmur1
Easy does it

mike_belben

Well youve got sufficient hp.  I suggest a set of hydraulic pinball paddles for the chamber sides to center up rounds, fix bad drops and combat wedge lift.  
Praise The Lord

Limberjack

I haven't done to much design of the trough yet. So any input is appreciated. I was thinkin on making the trough close to the same v as the infeed. I am going to put the controls near the back where I can adjust any bad drops by hand. Hopefully not having to get out of my seat. 

Crusarius

Quote from: Hilltop366 on December 16, 2020, 08:03:02 AM
Quote from: Crusarius on December 15, 2020, 03:30:15 PMI want to build one but don't have much reason to. Just want the challenge.

That should be enough reason shouldn't it? :)

YUP!!!!! :)

mike_belben

There was a recent thread that had a lot of good insight on wedge lift, broken wedge cylinders etc.  I wouldnt have anticipated that much trouble from packing the wedge but you need to design some float to protect the wedge and cylinder.. Everyone edits out the jammed solid part of their youtube success story! 

Cant remember which thread. 
Praise The Lord

jmur1

I have a six way wedge processor and I can tell you its so true for me.  My daily processor toolkit includes a sledge for knocking back chunks from the wedge.  There has been a few days where I haven't used it - but normally I do.  The moving wedges are another big issue.  Make sure you can get at them wherever you put them.  
You can tie the two together by making the landing area for the chunks spring loaded.  Check my photos if your interested in that concept.
I can tell you a very good philosophy for the build:  Always make things twice as heavy or wide or strong than you think you need - and you will only break things once a week!
jmur1  
Easy does it

Limberjack

Limberjack

Limberjack

Limberjack

Ran it this weekend. Ran into a few hiccups but all in all it worked well. need to iron out  few things but hopefully we will be running it at full capacity next weekend.

jmur1

Limberjack:  Awesome fabrication work.  I built one as well.  Clearly you have attention to the details and a high level of skills in both the build and the finish!

Two things that may or may not be an issue:

1. I would question how far out you have the axles mounted unsupported.  I would want to make sure they can support the load you have on them.  (I see I already mentioned that a while back- consistent at least!)
2. I had roller bearings on my log clamp and had them fail on me - I ended up going to greaseable bushings.  

I would love to see your machine running.  Thanks for posting.

jmur1
Easy does it

Crusarius

Definitely sweet. I was going to post about the axles sticking out that far also. Way to much potential to bend the tubes. If you add a jack right at the axle to take the load off it would be much better.

1countryboy

Stuck cut firewood (24 inch) easily UNSTUCK with a chain grab hook and temporary hookup to the hyd cylinder.  Reverse and NO sledge or pinched fingers and @#%^ (special ouch phrases) :D 8) ;D
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

moodnacreek

It looks like the splitter is caged in ?  If so I hope you have all nice wood to split like some areas do.

dave_dj1

Any videos of this thing in operation?
Looks like a cool build.

Ventryjr

What kind of mechanism do you have for feeding logs down the trough? 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Thank You Sponsors!