iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did You know - outdoor edition

Started by WV Sawmiller, December 21, 2020, 11:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Did you know the crescent moon on an old style outhouse indicated it was a women's outhouse? Men evidently had a sun on their outhouses. Maybe I have led a sheltered life but until today I had never heard that.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

No, and this is shocking news. Do you have any corroborating evidence to support this allegation? Can you show evidence of a 'sun' on an outhouse? I have never seen one. 
 Shocking I say. Where is your proof?! :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Why Do Outhouses Have a Crescent Moon on the Door?.

I did not say I had ever seen a sun on an outhouse just that the crescent moon meant they were designated for women. I suspect in the past there were many suns on outhouses and over the years the 'gentler sex' has sneaked in and replaced them with moon cut-outs. I could be wrong but it seems like a viable explanation. Also the two-holer probably came from women users since it is well documented fact women cannot go to the bathroom in public areas by themselves and always go in pairs. Now - put that in your pipe and smoke it. ;)

If I ever find an outhouse with a sun I will be sure to leave the lid up just for spite!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Well I did read that entire article and the writer himself is dubious about this 'sun thing'. I had never heard of such a thing before, but I suppose anything is possible. If you ever see one, take a photo.
 I gotta get down to the mill.....
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

HemlockKing

Out in the backwoods where a outhouse would be in use a pooper is a pooper, who has the time to make 2 of those things? Plus if you had so many people going to it that you figured you needed to label genders maybe you actually need a septic at this point lol 
A1

WDH

The moon is matriarchal and the sun is patriarchal.  Back in ancient times the moon was called the Mother.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

I think you are making that up. :P I bet you never heard the outhouses had symbols on them to denote gender either. Down in south GA your bunch were probably like mine and stepped behind a clump of palmettos and grabbed a handful of Spanish moss (full of chiggers and seed ticks) for hiney wipe. You know the ancient Romans just peed in the viaducts or against a wall.

HK,

I won't disagree with your separated poopers.

BTW- Did you know the man who invented or at least marketed flush toilets was Thomas Crapper hence the name we hear today.

Why the Toilet is Commonly Known as “The Crapper” (todayifoundout.com)
Howard Green

Hilltop366

I don't think Crapper invented the toilet but made much better with several patented improvements.

The more modern vortex flushing toilet was invented in Saint John New Brunswick in 1907 by Thomas Stewart.

Hilltop366

Another invention from eastern Canada is the screw propeller, it was invented by John Patch who lived about 5 miles from where I live just south of the town of Yarmouth Nova Scotia. Credit for the invention is often given to John Ericsson because he was able to get a patent in England but it was 4 years after Patch made his first propeller.

Edit to add link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Patch

HemlockKing

Did you know king cobras can make a moaning growl sort of like a dog? Rather than hissing like many other snakes
A1

WV Sawmiller

HK,

I think I had heard somewhere they can sort of growl. I bet that is the same sound both of us heard about just described from different witnesses. It is definitely an unusual trait for a snake. Thanks for posting that tidbit.
Howard Green

Tacotodd

Do they growl as a warning or as a sign of fear?
Trying harder everyday.

HemlockKing

A1

WDH

I did not make up the part about the moon being female and the sun being male. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Go mingh assigh! (Japanese for "Sorry about that" or as close as I remember.) Okay, I never doubted that (Well maybe just a little bit :D) but did you know the crescent indicated it was a female toilet and wonder why there was no sunburst for the men? I honestly had never heard that till this week and bet most readers here had not. 

I know about the pointers and setters in fancy restyrants (I always have trouble spelling that) cafes. 
Howard Green

WDH

I did not have the faintest idea that the moon crescent indicated a girl outhouse, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense.  

doc henderson

I did not know you were even alive back in ancient times, but now that makes sense.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Did you know that when you go to mount a camel you first make the camel sit down and it is sitting on his legs and belly sort of like a sphynx  you get on and he first gets up with his back legs then he rises in the front. When you get off you do everything in reverse and the camel kneels down in front then lowers his back legs and you get off. Of course you better have a good grip so you don't slide off in the process. It is easier on an Asian camel than on an African camel because on the Asian camel you are sitting between the 2 humps and can hold on to the front one. My wife got on one in northern Mongolia and the herders nearly died laughing at her screaming as the camel got up and down. I got pictures of her bear hugging the front hump and yelling.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Did you know the hump on a camel is a good indicator of hydration? A plump, fully erect/upright hump (two humps on Asian Camels) is a sign the camel is well watered. The hump is generally accepted to be a reservoir of fluid for camels to draw down on when they encounter periods of reduced water access. The hump(s) on a poorly hydrated camel will flop over to the side.

One of the days I'll tell the joke about "bricking" a camel but maybe this is not the time and place for it.
Howard Green

HemlockKing

A1

Chuck White

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 12, 2021, 06:00:12 PM
 Did you know the hump on a camel is a good indicator of hydration? A plump, fully erect/upright hump (two humps on Asian Camels) is a sign the camel is well watered. The hump is generally accepted to be a reservoir of fluid for camels to draw down on when they encounter periods of reduced water access. The hump(s) on a poorly hydrated camel will flop over to the side.

One of the days I'll tell the joke about "bricking" a camel but maybe this is not the time and place for it.
I've heard it, might not wanna post it here!  :P
:D :D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Okay, I won't post that or running out of chain with  the bear trap joke either.

I may be a little intermittent (late?) at posting or replying for the next week due to my other scheduling issues. Stay safe and healthy. Don't stick your hand in any badger holes this week.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Did you know most birds defecate as they fly off any roost? This is a natural trait intended to lighten the load for flying. It is also a good reason not to startle large flocks of nearby birds into flight especially if you are under their roost tree or when you have any reason to believe you may be in their initial flight path. ::) It might be a good trick to pull on your hunting or fishing buddy if he happens to be near a flock you can scare to fly out over him. :D
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!